Would you lie about your religious beliefs in order to get an exemption? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Would you lie about your religious beliefs in order to get an exemption?
Yes, I can definitely justify it. 22 75.86%
Not sure, but I would seriously consider it. 3 10.34%
Undecided 0 0%
Probably not 3 10.34%
No, I definitely couldn't justify it. 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-09-2011, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Please answer only if you do NOT vaccinate your children according to CDC recommendations.  Also, please elaborate on your answer!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2011, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i would.

i find it reprehensible that a person must have a religion in order to decline vaccinating on schedule. i'm an atheist, so that essentially means that i don't have the same rights as a religious person.

i really think that there could be a discrimination suit about this at some point.

eh. who needs a signature?
Old 04-09-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post

i would.

i find it reprehensible that a person must have a religion in order to decline vaccinating on schedule. i'm an atheist, so that essentially means that i don't have the same rights as a religious person.

i really think that there could be a discrimination suit about this at some point.

The thing is, is that some states are now pushing to eliminate religious exemptions little by little, so either way, we may see a decrease in the ability of having our own personal religious beliefs at all. Whether or not these bills pass is yet to be determined, but they are certainly being pushed.  If our religious rights (no matter what they may be) are taken away, what do we have to believe in? 

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

Old 04-09-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMoon010 View Post

The thing is, is that some states are now pushing to eliminate religious exemptions little by little, so either way, we may see a decrease in the ability of having our own personal religious beliefs at all. Whether or not these bills pass is yet to be determined, but they are certainly being pushed.  If our religious rights (no matter what they may be) are taken away, what do we have to believe in? 

well. again, i'm an atheist. i think there's plenty of human rights that have nothing to do with religion and i wouldn't necessarily have a problem with all religious exemptions being changed to philosophical exemptions.

i would have a problem with government mandated vaccination, but i can see how a non-religious person using a religious exemption could lead to the impression that it is being mis-used.

i'm not really sure what the solution is. i don't think that religious people should receive special rights though.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:20 PM

PlayaMama: I completely agree.  I think all states having the philosophical exemption available in addition to religious would be perfect, but that's never going to happen. For example, my state has only medical or religious. In agreeance with what you mentioned, if you don't have a medical exemption and you're not the least bit religious, than where are your rights?  You really don't have any according to the state then, which is really sad.  The point I was trying to make is that if they are buckling down on religious exemptions then lying to obtain a religious exemption may be a moot point.  Right now, people at least have the option to lie about their religion if they choose to do so, if there are no other exemptions available to them in their state, but at the rate we're going, it may get harder and harder to do so, thus leaving  even more limited human rights. 

I forget off the top of my head how many states actually have philosophical exemptions but I know it's not many.  i would love to be in one of those statessmile.gif

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

Old 04-10-2011, 06:24 AM

Probably not. Unless it were a dire, desperate situation, I feel too strongly about my faith to lie about it.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:32 PM

Do you mean lie about my reasoning? Because breaking it down very simply I believe vaccines hurt people and are dangerous to the health of my children (not a religious reason). However, given what I believe about vaccines, I can offer up many religious reasons why I shouldn't vax myself or my kids (or my pets, to be honest). I firmly believe that God does not want me vaccinating my family. Not because vaccines themselves are "against my religion", but because harming my family is. I'm never quite sure how that plays into a religious exemption, but I am against vaccines from a philosophical and religious point of view.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:

i would.

Atheist here as well and I completely agree with you.

I voted "yes"

Old 04-10-2011, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMoon010 View Post

I forget off the top of my head how many states actually have philosophical exemptions but I know it's not many.  i would love to be in one of those statessmile.gif

I live in one!! I live in fear that it will get taken away though. We are planning on moving to a different state soon and a philosophical exemption option will be one of my deciding factors.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:

i would.

While personally, I do not feel comfortable about lying about my religious beliefs in order to get an exemption. I wholeheartedly agree with the above statement regarding discrimination.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:05 PM

I don't understand the question. There is no requirement to be a member of any religion to use the religious exemption, so I don't see how using it would require lying in the first place.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Arduinna, I'm not sure about other states, but here's just one example.  South Carolina:

Quote:
A South Carolina Certificate of Religious Exemption (DHEC form 1126) may be granted to any student whose parent, guardian, or person in loco parentis signs the appropriate section of the exemption stating they are members of a recognized religious denomination in which the tenets and practices of the religious denomination conflict with immunizations.

I'm not sure what I'd do in that situation. 

So you can't just give them reasoning and call it "religious," (to answer Ammiga's question).  In SC (and I'm sure other states) you actually have to call yourself a Christian Scientist or member of another faith that opposes vaccines.

Quote:

Brilliant point!  Part of the freedom of religion should include the freedom not to have one.  And I say this as a person of faith!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 04-11-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammiga View Post

Do you mean lie about my reasoning? Because breaking it down very simply I believe vaccines hurt people and are dangerous to the health of my children (not a religious reason). However, given what I believe about vaccines, I can offer up many religious reasons why I shouldn't vax myself or my kids (or my pets, to be honest). I firmly believe that God does not want me vaccinating my family. Not because vaccines themselves are "against my religion", but because harming my family is. I'm never quite sure how that plays into a religious exemption, but I am against vaccines from a philosophical and religious point of view.

yeahthat.gif

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

Old 04-11-2011, 08:46 AM

Can't speak for SC but my understanding has been that you don't even have to explain what your belief is, only that you object on religious grounds. I'm not sure that SC or NY law for that matter would stand up to Supreme Court challenge.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post

Can't speak for SC but my understanding has been that you don't even have to explain what your belief is, only that you object on religious grounds. I'm not sure that SC or NY law for that matter would stand up to Supreme Court challenge.

but i have no religion and therefore i have no religious grounds to object upon.

that's why i'd have to lie.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:53 PM

My answer isn't in the poll...I have nothing to justify.  I belong to the church of Fyrestorm and we believe that vaccination is contrary to our religious doctrine. 

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
Old 04-12-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:

i would.

yeahthat.gif Fellow atheist/buddhist mama, I completely agree!!

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 04-12-2011, 07:41 PM

absolutely, wouldn't give it a second thought. I'd do anything to protect my kids.

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

Old 04-13-2011, 07:04 AM

Well, i wish no exemption was needed at all.  

However, I do like Ontarios wording 

"the immunization conflicts with the sincerely held convictions of the parent’s religion or conscience."

It cover pretty much everything!

Old 04-18-2011, 09:52 AM

our beliefs ARE our religion and therefore it's against our beliefs/religion to vax.  i checked the 'yes i would lie' because, honestly, does the government care if they lie to you?  seems like some of our elected officials lie about their beliefs/religion with quite the frequency...(that's my justification) but i really don't feel the need to 'justify' it, as non vaxxing is in line with our beliefs.  they're just not ones that belong to an identifiable organized one.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Tags
Vaccinations , Exemption
User Tag List