Travel to a country that does not have clean faucet water? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-16-2011, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This question is a continuation of my last post about being concerned about travelling to a foreign country without getting the MMR shot for my toddler.  I wanted to point out that the country we are visiting does not have clean faucet water.  Nobody drinks the faucet water... they do shower in it though.  Should this be a factor in my decision to vaccinate or not? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 04-16-2011, 07:05 PM

I'm not sure that M/M/R can be transmitted via contaminated water. I think Diphtheria and Polio can be the more worrisome in an unclean water supply.

#3 of 5 Old 04-19-2011, 11:24 AM

http://www.who.int/ith/ITH2010.pdf

is a terrific source for all travel-related health concerns, including the current prevalence of disease in different regions, the current requirements for vaccination for entry to certain countries, and a good assessment of the risk of infection with any number of diseases, by region.

None of the disease protected against by the MMR are spread through contaminated water. The diseases we typically vax for in the West, which ARE spread in water, are polio and hep A. Vaccines are also available to prevent cholera, but they are typically only recommended for folks who will be in refugee camps and similar circumstances.

Diphtheria is spread similarly to how flu is spread, not through unclean water.

There are a few dozen parasitic, protozoal, bacterial, and viral illnesses that are spread through contaminated water, and I would take that risk very seriously, and take all of the recommended precautions.

But no, I don't think the MMR would top my list of concerns, no.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#4 of 5 Old 05-07-2011, 05:14 PM

I'd be worried about polio, if you are going to an area where it still exists.  

#5 of 5 Old 05-08-2011, 03:35 PM

get a Berkey water filter. They have a travel one.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Tags
Vaccinations , Travel , Mmr , Diphtheria , Polio , Water Pollution Health Health And The Environment

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page