Study: Nations requiring most vaxes have worst infant mortality - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-06-2011, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

"A new study, published in Human and Experimental Toxicology (http://het.sagepub.com/content/earl...), a peer-reviewed journal indexed by the National Library of Medicine, found that nations with higher (worse) infant mortality rates tend to give their infants more vaccine doses. For example, the United States requires infants to receive 26 vaccines -- the most in the world -- yet more than six U.S. infants die per every 1000 live births. In contrast, Sweden and Japan administer 12 vaccines to infants, the least amount, and report less than three deaths per 1000 live births."

http://www.naturalnews.com/032306_vaccines_infant_mortality.html

BeckyBird likes this.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#2 of 13 Old 05-06-2011, 06:58 PM

my first thought is that the united states experiences a great deal more poverty than japan or sweden. both of those countries also offer universal high quality health care, which the united states does not.

eh. who needs a signature?
#3 of 13 Old 05-06-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post

my first thought is that the united states experiences a great deal more poverty than japan or sweden. both of those countries also offer universal high quality health care, which the united states does not.

But we give medicaid to low income children and also free medical care through free clinics. My oldest for his shots at a local county clinic for $10 for all his shots when he was a baby. I could not afford much else. Having socialized medicine usually raises the death rate, not lowers it, due to rules that dictate things like people with disabilities not be given health care, cancers not treated in higher stages, things that would be treated here, in the US.

#4 of 13 Old 05-06-2011, 10:18 PM

I don't think you understand how socialized medicine works.  People with disabilities most definitely get medical care, cancer patients are not just left to die.

Personally I wonder what countries fit in between.  They just mention the high and low end of the spectrum.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#5 of 13 Old 05-06-2011, 10:56 PM

lisa 1970- um, unless you have insurance or can pay for medical care, cancer patients in the US are most definitely left to die. i still remember reading about this story in nevada.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/04/03/60minutes/main4917055.shtml

there are also additional compounding factors that poverty would cause apart from the health care issue.

it just seems so one-dimensional to propose that vaccination is the reason why infant mortality is higher in some countries.

Turquesa likes this.

#6 of 13 Old 05-06-2011, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post

there are also additional compounding factors that poverty would cause apart from the health care issue.

it just seems so one-dimensional to propose that vaccination is the reason why infant mortality is higher in some countries.

I agree.  I think vaccines are a factor, especially with SIDS, but there must be a lot more to it.  Poverty, health care, and even culture (some are more baby friendly) would make a big difference.  

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#7 of 13 Old 05-07-2011, 05:45 AM

I'd venture to say that differences in criteria is a factor; one nation's neonatal death is another nation's stillbirth. I also couldn't help but notice the study was authored by Neil Z ****** and Gary S Goldman.

#8 of 13 Old 05-07-2011, 02:06 PM

I believe that the number of vaccines is one factor to the whole picture and certainly contributes. Add little to no breastfeeding, moms who have to return to work, maybe even families who stretch the WIC sponsored formula with water to make it last longer cause they cannot afford to buy it (I understand WIC doesn't pay for a full month's supply) - certainly situations not uncommon in the US.

As for socialized medicine, kids without insurance in the US get medical care through state programs that allow for well baby visit, shots and medications as needed, unless the parents don't sign up and hence baby doesn't get medical care. But it is certainly available. I can attest to socialized medicine as my grandmother experienced it: since she was over 70 when she needed new heart valves, she got the cheaper version that only lasts for 10 years as they said hey she's old, she's not gonna get the good stuff. Yeah that sounds like great care. Socialized medicine most certainly has its pitfalls and dark sides, it is true that people are left to die as in my grandma's case. She did have heart failure a good 10 years later, which is how long those suckers (pig valves) last and they didn't really want to do surgery again. Go figure.

#9 of 13 Old 05-07-2011, 08:54 PM

interesting. my grandpa has very good insurance and he was going to get the pig valves too.

#10 of 13 Old 05-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Banned

So, the study showed a correlation.  Causation?  I doubt it.  There would be multiple reasons.

#11 of 13 Old 05-09-2011, 02:34 AM

Yup, I doubt this study is valuable in trying to answer any questions on vaccine safety. 

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#12 of 13 Old 05-09-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1970 View Post

But we give medicaid to low income children and also free medical care through free clinics. My oldest for his shots at a local county clinic for $10 for all his shots when he was a baby. I could not afford much else. Having socialized medicine usually raises the death rate, not lowers it, due to rules that dictate things like people with disabilities not be given health care, cancers not treated in higher stages, things that would be treated here, in the US.

I can't speak for other countries, but this is not the case in Canada. 

caffix.gif

#13 of 13 Old 05-09-2011, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

thought this was interesting in terms of where we rank in infant mortality - this is the most recent I could find.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2091rank.html

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Tags
Vaccinations , Infants

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page