Study: Nations requiring most vaxes have worst infant mortality - Mothering Forums
Vaccinations > Study: Nations requiring most vaxes have worst infant mortality
Bokonon's Avatar Bokonon 09:19 AM 05-06-2011

"A new study, published in Human and Experimental Toxicology (http://het.sagepub.com/content/earl...), a peer-reviewed journal indexed by the National Library of Medicine, found that nations with higher (worse) infant mortality rates tend to give their infants more vaccine doses. For example, the United States requires infants to receive 26 vaccines -- the most in the world -- yet more than six U.S. infants die per every 1000 live births. In contrast, Sweden and Japan administer 12 vaccines to infants, the least amount, and report less than three deaths per 1000 live births."

http://www.naturalnews.com/032306_vaccines_infant_mortality.html

PlayaMama's Avatar PlayaMama 07:58 PM 05-06-2011

my first thought is that the united states experiences a great deal more poverty than japan or sweden. both of those countries also offer universal high quality health care, which the united states does not.

Lisa1970's Avatar Lisa1970 11:12 PM 05-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post

my first thought is that the united states experiences a great deal more poverty than japan or sweden. both of those countries also offer universal high quality health care, which the united states does not.

But we give medicaid to low income children and also free medical care through free clinics. My oldest for his shots at a local county clinic for $10 for all his shots when he was a baby. I could not afford much else. Having socialized medicine usually raises the death rate, not lowers it, due to rules that dictate things like people with disabilities not be given health care, cancers not treated in higher stages, things that would be treated here, in the US.

MyBoysBlue's Avatar MyBoysBlue 11:18 PM 05-06-2011

I don't think you understand how socialized medicine works.  People with disabilities most definitely get medical care, cancer patients are not just left to die.

Personally I wonder what countries fit in between.  They just mention the high and low end of the spectrum.

PlayaMama's Avatar PlayaMama 11:56 PM 05-06-2011

lisa 1970- um, unless you have insurance or can pay for medical care, cancer patients in the US are most definitely left to die. i still remember reading about this story in nevada.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/04/03/60minutes/main4917055.shtml

there are also additional compounding factors that poverty would cause apart from the health care issue.

it just seems so one-dimensional to propose that vaccination is the reason why infant mortality is higher in some countries.

weliveintheforest's Avatar weliveintheforest 12:31 AM 05-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post

there are also additional compounding factors that poverty would cause apart from the health care issue.

it just seems so one-dimensional to propose that vaccination is the reason why infant mortality is higher in some countries.

I agree.  I think vaccines are a factor, especially with SIDS, but there must be a lot more to it.  Poverty, health care, and even culture (some are more baby friendly) would make a big difference.  

Jugs's Avatar Jugs 06:45 AM 05-07-2011

I'd venture to say that differences in criteria is a factor; one nation's neonatal death is another nation's stillbirth. I also couldn't help but notice the study was authored by Neil Z ****** and Gary S Goldman.

nia82 03:06 PM 05-07-2011

I believe that the number of vaccines is one factor to the whole picture and certainly contributes. Add little to no breastfeeding, moms who have to return to work, maybe even families who stretch the WIC sponsored formula with water to make it last longer cause they cannot afford to buy it (I understand WIC doesn't pay for a full month's supply) - certainly situations not uncommon in the US.

As for socialized medicine, kids without insurance in the US get medical care through state programs that allow for well baby visit, shots and medications as needed, unless the parents don't sign up and hence baby doesn't get medical care. But it is certainly available. I can attest to socialized medicine as my grandmother experienced it: since she was over 70 when she needed new heart valves, she got the cheaper version that only lasts for 10 years as they said hey she's old, she's not gonna get the good stuff. Yeah that sounds like great care. Socialized medicine most certainly has its pitfalls and dark sides, it is true that people are left to die as in my grandma's case. She did have heart failure a good 10 years later, which is how long those suckers (pig valves) last and they didn't really want to do surgery again. Go figure.

PlayaMama's Avatar PlayaMama 09:54 PM 05-07-2011

interesting. my grandpa has very good insurance and he was going to get the pig valves too.

SneakyPie's Avatar SneakyPie 10:17 PM 05-07-2011

So, the study showed a correlation.  Causation?  I doubt it.  There would be multiple reasons.

ema-adama's Avatar ema-adama 03:34 AM 05-09-2011

Yup, I doubt this study is valuable in trying to answer any questions on vaccine safety. 

Magali's Avatar Magali 06:11 AM 05-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1970 View Post

But we give medicaid to low income children and also free medical care through free clinics. My oldest for his shots at a local county clinic for $10 for all his shots when he was a baby. I could not afford much else. Having socialized medicine usually raises the death rate, not lowers it, due to rules that dictate things like people with disabilities not be given health care, cancers not treated in higher stages, things that would be treated here, in the US.

I can't speak for other countries, but this is not the case in Canada. 

Marnica's Avatar Marnica 12:24 PM 05-09-2011

thought this was interesting in terms of where we rank in infant mortality - this is the most recent I could find.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2091rank.html

Tags: Vaccinations , Infants
Up