Anyone know if CA has recently changed the laws for vaccine exemptions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-16-2011, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just wondering because I am seeing these slogans posted all over the public school fences and on score boards saying things like, "No Vaccine, No School".  And saying there is some "NEW" regulations or new vaccine or something like that that kids are required to get in order to stay or be enrolled for the schools. 

Anyone know about this?  Did something change or is there just a new formula out that the vaccine marketers and pushing?  I just want to make sure our non-vaccinating family is still safe in this state with our religious and personal exemption reasons (not to mention our son's negative reaction at 9 months old).  

applejuice likes this.

Rachel, mom to 5 children and expecting another in 2014!

Our blog!

#2 of 9 Old 05-16-2011, 03:25 AM

I'm not in CA but I found this which explains the new CA law requiring the Tdap vaccine for all students entering 7th through 12th grade in the 2011-2012 school year and requires proof of the vaccine before entering school.  That's what the signs you are seeing are referring to. You may have to dig further on this regarding exemptions.

http://www.shotsforschool.org/index.html 

applejuice likes this.

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#3 of 9 Old 05-16-2011, 07:49 AM

They are really pushing the Tdap for older kids and not mentioning that exemptions are available, which is deplorable IMO.  My son is not old enough for the Tdap, but I just enrolled him in kindergarten last week with a partial vaccination record (complete until 5 years) and a personal exemption.  I had to speak with the school district's head nurse eyesroll.gif to explain that I understand the "risks" of not vaccinating and the recent outbreaks, blah blah blah (even though my son IS up-to-date on DTaP and had a reaction from the last dose and has basically been sick ever since!), but I assured her that I know what I'm talking about and that I understand that if there is a polio outbreak, my son won't be able to go to school.  ;)

Not to make light of it, but the whole thing is just ridiculous.  I'm glad however that we do live in a state where the personal exemption is an option, for now at least.

applejuice likes this.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 9 Old 05-16-2011, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

The California personal beliefs exemption applies to the new Tdap requirement for kids entering 7-12 grade in Fall 2011. It is infuriating that schools are doing their best to keep the exemption a secret. They very rarely mention it.

The signature on the back of the Blue Card does not count for the exemption for this vaccine, because this vaccine is not listed on the Blue Card. Parents have to either sign Personal Beliefs Exemption Form, (CDPH 8261), http://eziz.org/PDF/IMM-1038_PBEforminstructions.pdf which has some objectionable language on it, or they can write a short letter to the school saying the vaccine is against their beliefs. The second option is not generally known to school officials, but the law allows it. See Section 120365 of the CA Health and Safety Code, which does not require a form to be signed. http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=hsc&group=120001-121000&file=120325-120380

Or, parents can sign the form, and cross out the parts they do not agree with. 

applejuice likes this.
#5 of 9 Old 05-16-2011, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for this info!

applejuice likes this.

Rachel, mom to 5 children and expecting another in 2014!

Our blog!

#6 of 9 Old 05-16-2011, 11:12 PM

applejuice likes this.
#7 of 9 Old 07-19-2011, 01:44 PM

I am a district nurse for a school district in CA. The reason you don't here much about a exemption is because the state says we can not promote exemptions but must make them available to you. Their is a specific Tdap waiver that was issued by the state. Per the state guidelines it says the parent must come into the school site and sign the waiver in the presence of a district employee. Go to your childs school they will give you a waiver it is not the schools who don't want to promote the waiver law that doesnt allow us to. Believe me school wants your child enrolled.

applejuice likes this.
#8 of 9 Old 07-19-2011, 02:14 PM

)

applejuice likes this.
#9 of 9 Old 07-20-2011, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nurse 34 View Post
I am a district nurse for a school district in CA. The reason you don't here much about a exemption is because the state says we can not promote exemptions

There is no law in California that says schools and school nurses cannot inform parents about exemptions. Informing is not promoting.

Did you get something in writing saying that? Or did someone from the state or the district or the school tell you that?

applejuice likes this.

Tags
Vaccinations , Exemption , School

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page