Deciding to give/not give MMR shot at age 1 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-20-2011, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, and thanks for contributing to MDC! I hope you can help me in my quest to make a decision in regards to the MMR vaccine my daughter should receive at her one year well baby visit in just over a month.

Up until now we have been following the alternate vaccine schedule given by Dr. Sears. I have been dreading the MMR vaccine because of all the conflicting information. How likely is it to cause autism? I would never forgive myself if this vaccine injured my child in any way. I may forgo this particular vaccine, although I dread the "fight" I will have to have with the private then public school my DD will attend. I could also delay this vaccine until a later date if my pedi would agree to that. If I chose that route at what age should I consider giving it?

Thank you so much for any information you can provide to help me make this decision.

P.S. My husband is not at all worried about the vaccine and thinks we should continue with our current schedule with no changes.

~Confused!~

Catholic, SAHM, Married 5 yrs. love.gif, Miscarried Sept. '08 April '09 & Jan. '14, DD is almost 4, DS is 20 months-we had a wonderful homebirth.jpg, EDD early Jan, 2015! I'm also a first time foster mom to a girl-22 months. 
#2 of 14 Old 05-20-2011, 06:48 PM

Let me start by saying that I am NOT a medical professional...I am a computer scientist who manages medalerts.org (a consumer search engine for Government VAERS data).  There is not much in the Government's VAERS database about autism.  Therefore, it is impossible for me to say anything about risks for your child...this is your decision.

Here are some things I have heard about vaccine safety which you may want to consider:

• Avoid preservatives.  Large serum bottles that are used for many patients need preservatives to keep the vaccine fresh.  Choose single-dose vials if you can.
  • Older children fare better: do not vaccinate too young.
  • Never give shots when a child is sick or just recovering.
  • Do not give Tylenol to your child before or after.
  • It is preferable to get shots for one disease at a time, rather than combination shots (MMR is a combo of three, and there are many five-vaccine combination shots).
  • If you wish to avoid vaccines, check the exemption rules for your state (see www.nvic.org for more information).

There are a number of books that you can consult for more information:

• "The Vaccine Guide: Risks and Benefits for Children and Adults" by Randall Neustaedter
  • "Vaccine Safety Manual for Concerned Families and Health Practitioners" by Neil Z. ******

Good luck.

-Steven Rubin

#3 of 14 Old 05-21-2011, 05:25 AM

I also have some conflicting thoughts/emotions about vaccines, so I appreciate this question and answer.  I am curious though, why avoid Tylenol?  I never give it or any pain relievers to my babies b/c I think nursing works just as well and does not have any potential side effects.  But my pediatrician always tells me to give Tylenol after shots, so I'm wondering why you say not to.  I'm hoping my instincts were right!

treehugger.giflactivist.gif h20homebirth.gif

#4 of 14 Old 05-21-2011, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply and the recommended books! I knew you were a computer scientist, but thought you might have some data on what the statistical risk was of my child having autism after getting the MMR shot. They no longer make separate measles, mumps, and rubella vaccines so the only option is the combo shot. greensad.gif

My pedi also said that it was ok to give Tylenol after vaccines, but I have chosen to breastfeed, as the pp, said after shots as well.

When rereading and considering your reply I may just ask to give the MMR vaccine later in my DD life.

Catholic, SAHM, Married 5 yrs. love.gif, Miscarried Sept. '08 April '09 & Jan. '14, DD is almost 4, DS is 20 months-we had a wonderful homebirth.jpg, EDD early Jan, 2015! I'm also a first time foster mom to a girl-22 months. 
#5 of 14 Old 05-21-2011, 09:01 AM

As with all of this, there is much controversy involved.  I've seen quite a few articles suggesting that Tylenol has issues:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/16/health/main5388197.shtml

http://children.webmd.com/vaccines/news/20091015/tylenol-may-weaken-infant-vaccines

Once again, do not take this as medical advice: discuss with your doctor and decide for yourself.

#6 of 14 Old 05-22-2011, 11:48 AM

Just wanted to say that here in Europe we can get seperate shots for the MMR, so I am surprised you can't in the US. Have you checked the vaccine forum to see if anyone over there has any tips for getting them seperate?

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#7 of 14 Old 05-22-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellabaz View Post

Just wanted to say that here in Europe we can get seperate shots for the MMR, so I am surprised you can't in the US. Have you checked the vaccine forum to see if anyone over there has any tips for getting them seperate?

It can't be done at all here in the U.S. 

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#8 of 14 Old 05-22-2011, 10:18 PM

I don't know about availability of the individual components of MMR, but I can search the VAERS database to see if any of these individual vaccines have been associated with adverse reactions in recent years.

Reactions from individual Measles, Mumps, or Rubella vaccinations are certainly on the decline, but are not gone yet.  There are 3 reports of adverse effects associated with a Measles vaccine in 2011, and 13 reports in 2010. The individual Rubella vaccine is listed in 4 reports in 2010 and the individual Mumps vaccine is listed in 2 reports.  So someone out there is certainly getting these individual vaccines.

There are also partial combinations listed by the government: a Measles/Mumps, a Measles/Rubella, and a Mumps/Rubella.

I can understand if your doctor is unable or unwilling to get them, but I doubt that they are unavailable.

But when I warned against too many different serums in a single office visit, I was more concerned with giving MMR in addition to other vaccines that may be on the schedule.  This is particularly troublesome, as I reported in my blog: http://medalerts.org/analysis/archives/50

#9 of 14 Old 05-22-2011, 10:43 PM

US doesn't have single M-M-R any longer, only the 3 in one. (This also means that women who are supposed to get Rubella-only boosters due to their childhood vaxes having worn off are also supposed to get the full MMR).

I followed the Sears schedule with one child when the single doses were available. I waited until the second child was 3 to do the MMR since there were no more single ones. No reactions for either child on either plan. He is supposed to have a booster in a few more years. I haven't decided to test titers or do the MMR since he had no reaction with the first.

98% of people are immune to Measles with the first dose. Some states will let you do a titer check for Measles immunity in lieu of a Measles booster. Most states don't require 2 doses of Rubella or Mumps, only Measles, so this makes it one MMR rather than 2 MMRs.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#10 of 14 Old 05-25-2011, 04:19 PM

Our ped said that any pain reliever, if given prior to a shot, can interfere with the immune response.  We give pain reliever when we get home (which is 30 or 40 minutes after the shots).  Just a thought.  I do not have any articles or science to back this up, but it's what we've followed.  We are delaying the MMR for our 14 m.o. (it is "supposed" to be given at a year and I guess we will maybe do it at 15 months?--still not sure).  I heard (and ped confirmed) that the CDC has commissioned a new study about the MMR shot in relation to the autism scare.  Our ped said her understanding was that they want to quell the fears about the association once and for all, but I am not sure I buy that.  It is a hard decision to make eyesroll.gif

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#11 of 14 Old 05-30-2011, 08:01 PM

Here is an article that claims that Tylenol following MMR increases the risk of Autism.  The study is a fairly small sample, and people will no-doubt attack this conclusion.  Still, for the curious:

There are many other such articles...just search for "Tylenol and Autism".  You even get a thread on this Mothering site:

#12 of 14 Old 05-30-2011, 08:02 PM

Here is an article that claims that Tylenol following MMR increases the risk of Autism.  The study is a fairly small sample, and people will no-doubt attack this conclusion.  Still, for the curious:

There are many other such articles...just search for "Tylenol and Autism".  You even get a thread on this Mothering site:

#13 of 14 Old 06-10-2011, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yes, thinking people will attack this study for a good reason. Small sample is a good reason.

#14 of 14 Old 06-20-2011, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Just a reminder of the forum guidlines:
Quote:
The expert forums are intended to be in a direct question and answer format between the member posting the question and the expert. These forums are not for community participation so the only exchange of posting in thread will be between the member and the expert.
Feel free to PM the OP if you wish to offer other advice or to invite the OP to the appropriate forum. Thanks for your cooperation.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page