Whopping Cough on Long Island, All Vaccinated - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-22-2011, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news%2Flocal%2Flong_island&id=8203711

Quote:
Officials say all of the Smithtown students had been immunized, helping to reduce the severity of their illness.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2011, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Nice save. All the kids who got sick got the vaccine, so they pretend the vaccine made it milder.

I'd like to know the severity of these kids' symptoms- how long were they sick, how much school did they miss, were any hospitalized with complications, etc. Then I want to compare that to what my DD went through this winter. She had her preschool and kindergarten vaccines, but no "boosters." Her last DTaP was more than 10 years ago, and her symptoms really matched those of pertussis, though it's not a verified case. I kept her out of the doctor's office until she was almost better, and needed a note to get back into school. I dind't want her breathing on any babies in the waiting room!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 07-01-2011, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I like this quote

"The vaccine is 100 percent effective in preventing the virus preemptively, but if you do get whooping cough, the vaccine also helps to alleviate the symptoms."

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/06/29/long-island-officials-warn-of-rapidly-spreading-whooping-cough-virus/

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11
Old 07-01-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieNova View Post

I like this quote

"The vaccine is 100 percent effective in preventing the virus preemptively, but if you do get whooping cough, the vaccine also helps to alleviate the symptoms."

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/06/29/long-island-officials-warn-of-rapidly-spreading-whooping-cough-virus/

This is hilarious to me since not even the CDC or the manufacturer boasts 100% efffectiveness with this vaccine. NOTHING is 100% effective. I don't care what it is. And since the vaccine does not even prevent transmission, Im not sure how it can be 100% effective in preventing it. The claim that it can lessen symptoms - yes I think it potentially can do that and as a domino effect (ie person is coughing less) perhaps they may spread it around less. On the flip side. I think milder sysmptoms in vaccinated persons lead to misdiagnosis and the potential for them to be spreading it around more because they dont even know they have it.

not the mention that pertussis isn't a virus. You'd think a news media outlet like CBS would do a better job at reporting facts rather than lies and misinformation.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieNova View Post

I like this quote

biglaugh.gifdizzy.gif

It is 100% effective - but if you vax and get it ....(how is that possible if it is 100% effective? - they are contradicting themselves)

I double checked to see if you quoted something out of context, or a parent being quoted...nope. It was the author of the article.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Old 07-01-2011, 09:16 PM

I wonder if they got it from the shot that worked oh so well too. And where was the herd immunity? Reality is, most of the teachers and staff probably did not have the shot current. And they don't know if the symptoms were milder. We had h1n1 here and it lasted less than 24 hrs. No medications, no shots. But if they thought we had the shots, they would claim it was milder because of the shots. Yeah, right.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

I like all of the poetic references to "violent" coughing.  I get that the coughing spasms suck, but nobody's exactly coughing up blood, are they? 

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif

Tags
Vaccinations , Pertussis , Transmission , Immunity
User Tag List