MMR vax- first dose-- for my 5 year old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD just turned 5 and is due to start kindergarten this fall.  We have previously used religious exemption to bypass the school's need for the vaxes.

She has been speech delayed and has made remarkable progress.  All of her testing is now falling within the range of normal for her age.  There remains some processing issues, of which, the neurodevelopmental ped. and I are almost certain are related to an Auditory Processing Disorder (though those are not officially diagnosed until a child is 7).

We have her 5 year old well child visit coming up in a few weeks and I know this is going to come up.

I had initially planned to start the separated series of M, M, and R when she was 4 but then it was no longer available.

I do believe it's a good idea for her to be immunized against these diseases at some point.  I do NOT want to jeopardize her in any way.  I'm feeling more comfortable with her getting this vax this year compared to last year at this time. 

But truth be told, I'm not sure I'm ever going to feel great about her finishing up her vaxes.

Thoughts?

#2 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 11:58 AM

Sorry, no thoughts.  Just wanted to tell you that you arent alone.  Not Vaxing is a choice I revisit constantly.  Sometimes I wish I didnt think so dang much. 

#3 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 12:47 PM

Was wondering if you do decide to go with vaccinating if the religious exemption will be forfeited?

#4 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post

Was wondering if you do decide to go with vaccinating if the religious exemption will be forfeited?

Are you asking if we do the MMR vax, will I lose religious exemption status for the others she hasn't received?

No.  The religious exemption provided to us is very vague.  DD was vaxed mostly on time until she was 9 months.  So yes, she has some vaxes but not all.

Does that make sense?

#5 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 12:56 PM

Yup. That makes sense.

We're actually on the same boat. We selective/delay vax and DS is going into Kindergarten in the fall too. We have the religious exemption and opted to suspend all vaxes for now.

#6 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 02:24 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Ds is 9 and I'm contemplating this same question.  I think we are going to get the MMR this summer. 

FYI, Dr. Sears gives the MMR at 4 or 5:

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1318886/time-for-the-mmr#post_16518672

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#7 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 02:33 PM

We are in a similar boat and the fact that DS (3) has developmental delays has further delayed my plans for vaccinating.  "At some point" can be a few years from now... You don't have to make the decision today.  I am thinking more along the lines of age 10-12 now for my DS. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1 View Post

I do believe it's a good idea for her to be immunized against these diseases at some point. 

#8 of 14 Old 06-24-2011, 08:28 AM

I wouldn't do it. I don't vax at all, so I wouldn't do it anyway...but with a kid who has had problems who is making such great strides...I would have even MORE reason for not wanting to.

Good luck, mama, sometimes it's really hard to figure the right move...I hope that if you send the question out to the universe that maybe an answer will be revealed to you. (((hugs)))

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#9 of 14 Old 06-24-2011, 10:04 AM

Its a hard choice. One I spent a lot of time researching on and even though we fully vax. There are times where I wonder if it was the right choice. But I also know for me if I would have decided to not vax I would have been wondering the same thing. Good luck in what you chose. 

#10 of 14 Old 06-24-2011, 10:17 AM

dust.gif   

#11 of 14 Old 06-27-2011, 03:28 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Moving to the Vaccinations forum. smile.gif

#12 of 14 Old 06-27-2011, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Wondering what state you live in - because unless your state offers a philisophical exemption, you will lose your religious exemption if you decide to do the MMR. A child can be vaxed fully, partially or whatever as an infant and then a parent can file a religious exemption because beliefs can change at anytime. Once you go back and get more vaccines however, you cannot then go on and claim another religious exemption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1 View Post

Are you asking if we do the MMR vax, will I lose religious exemption status for the others she hasn't received?

No.  The religious exemption provided to us is very vague.  DD was vaxed mostly on time until she was 9 months.  So yes, she has some vaxes but not all.

Does that make sense?

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#13 of 14 Old 06-28-2011, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

How would you feel if you gave her the MMR and she regressed, and required a year or so to get back to where she was? Worse than if she were sick in bed with measles for a week? What is more likely? Out of 310 million people in the U.S., there are usually about 60 cases of measles per year. This year, with the outbreak, there's been a "whopping" 118 cases so far.

#14 of 14 Old 07-05-2011, 09:25 AM

why do you want to vaccinate her?  Figuring out exactly why you want to vax might help you figure out a game plan.

If it is to prevent the diseases - you can consider that it is extremely unlikely she will get the diseases.  Please look at the CDC site for numbers on how many actually get M, M or R.  The diseases (measles possibly aside) are not dangerous to children

If it is to increase herd immunity - well, I am not overly found of the herd argument for a variety of reasons - but some people are.  If you worry about such things - you can still wait under she is older to vax.  A five year old to me is still quite young.

Are you worried about her contracting rubella while pregnant?  If so, you can vax during her teens.

In any event - much peace to you as you sort it out.  I agree with Avery's mom to send out a prayer or vibe into the universe and see if you get an answer back.  

Tags
Vaccinations , Selective Vaccination , Delayed Vaccination , Exemption , School , Mmr

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page