Is it dangerous to skip the MMR and Chickenpox vaccine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 150 Old 06-23-2011, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My oldest DS (5) is fully vaxed. We did selective/delay with DS2 (2 1/2). I've been putting off the MMR and Chickenpox vaccines (thankfully our ped is cool with doing whatever we want) with him. He just had his 2-year appt (he is almost 2 1/2) and we skipped them again. Something in my gut just told me to skip those, although he did get a HIB and Prevnar he was missing (I felt ok about those). He (DS2) has been showing some signs that he could be on the Spectrum... my ped didn't seem worried about his behaviors but I'm still not so sure. Anyway, I know the MMR has been proven to not be associated with autism but I just don't feel comfortable with giving him a live virus vaccine right now. On the flip side, I AM scared he'll get measles, mumps (worried about sterility), or chickenpox... worried for him, and our new baby.

I know there are opinions on both sides about this, but I need to hear some thoughts... is it dangerous to skip these vaccines? I had the Pox as a kid and remember it being miserable and don't want my son(s) to get it, but I also remember it being something that all of us kids just got and recovered from just fine (I am 33, so this was back in the early 1980s). Is Measles something to fear? What about my 4-month-old?

I appreciate any and all responses! :)

Mommy to beauties DS1 (7), DS2 (4, autism), & DS3 (2)

and many angel babies angel1.gif

#2 of 150 Old 06-24-2011, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Well in the interest of full disclosure I don't vax at all - but you said you wanted any and all replies so here goes.

Whether you feel it is dangerous to skip the MMR and CP vaccine all depends on how you feel about those particular diseases. I think a vaccine for CP is ridiculous personally and even if I did vax - I would never do this one. For the record I had CP as an adult (when it is supposed to be DEADLY) and Im still here :) Yes CP can be unpleasant, but a lifetime of immunity would be a great trade off wouldn't it? Vaccine damage and reactions can be unpleasant too.

As for MMR well, IF the measles vaccine was still offered as a single vaccine I always said I would at least consider it, but it isn't and therefore well I don't consdier the MMR. I would not touch the MMR if you paid me a milllion dollars to get it. I am not concerned about rubella or mumps (seriously the risk of sterility in mumps is miniscule) and measles while yes it does concern me on some days - (like the days I let the fear mongering bullcrap get to me), Most days I call my mother and ask her about when she had it and every other child she knew had it and I watch the brady bunch clip and remind myself that in the VAST majority of cases measles are not dangerous and 40 years ago it was considered a mild inconvenience for most kids.

I won't really get into your statement: "MMR has been proven to not be associated with autism"

because I don't agree with it. It has not PROVEN to not be associated with autism. A series of seriously flawed studies found no causal relationship. I'm not inviting debate from others about this either as it has been hashed out here many times before. Im just offering an opinion.

If my child was showing signs of being on the spectrum that I was concerned about (regardless whether the doc was concerned or not)- vaccinating him would be the last thing I would do.

Mittsy, boomer78 and BabiiAdriian like this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 150 Old 06-26-2011, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for replying!! Actually what you said was exactly the reassurance I needed... it helps to hear from others that these diseases aren't as dreadful as they are made out to be!

Mommy to beauties DS1 (7), DS2 (4, autism), & DS3 (2)

and many angel babies angel1.gif

#4 of 150 Old 06-26-2011, 09:29 AM

The Brady Bunch episode always puts measles into perspective for me.

I had CP. One day my sister broke out in pox. Next thing I knew, my mom threwus into the tub together. I was itchy and I got over it.

We used to see a normal ped. I was lectured about all the scary VADs and every scare tactic was used. If dd got mumps she could be hospitalized, wind up deaf, on and on. Then I came in with dd because her lower jaw and neck were swollen. The ped diagnosed her with mumps, told us to stay home for ten days from onset of swelling, and sent us home. For how insanely worried about dd catching mumps when I questioned the vax, he didn't care AT ALL once he diagnosed her with them. No list of complications to watch for, no special treatment, nothing. Just told to keep her home for 10 days.

member234098, boomer78 and HannahW like this.
#5 of 150 Old 06-27-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammiga View Post

That was mumps. Not measles. Measles has much worse complications then the mumps.

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#6 of 150 Old 06-27-2011, 06:15 AM

I would never use the chickenpox vaccine. Over here we aren't offered it anyway, and we manage just fine. My sister's son got the vaccine and he had horrible reactions to it, which I don't think is unusual for that particular vaccine. I personally did choose to go for the MMR though.

#7 of 150 Old 06-27-2011, 08:07 AM

Even when I was still vaccinating my first son on schedule and not questioning vaccines at all I refused the Chicken pox vaccine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post

That was mumps. Not measles. Measles has much worse complications then the mumps.

Actually it is the measles that the Brady Bunch episode is about. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk29607gSWA

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#8 of 150 Old 06-27-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post

Nope, measles. And measles is a normal childhood disease, just like mumps and chicken pox. Of course there are worst case scenarios, just like for the common cold. But, overall, a normal childhood disease.

#9 of 150 Old 06-28-2011, 02:26 PM

oh I was thinking of the episode where Bobby thought he caught the mumps from his girlfriend, whoops. Either way you're scraping the bottom of the barrel to use an old sit-com to support your beliefs.  I chose not to vaccinate for CP but MMR is something different in my opinion.

raelize likes this.

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#10 of 150 Old 06-28-2011, 02:43 PM

Bolding mine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammiga View Post

I had CP. One day my sister broke out in pox. Next thing I knew, my mom threwus into the tub together. I was itchy and I got over it.

We used to see a normal ped. I was lectured about all the scary VADs and every scare tactic was used. If dd got mumps she could be hospitalized, wind up deaf, on and on. Then I came in with dd because her lower jaw and neck were swollen. The ped diagnosed her with mumps, told us to stay home for ten days from onset of swelling, and sent us home. For how insanely worried about dd catching mumps when I questioned the vax, he didn't care AT ALL once he diagnosed her with them. No list of complications to watch for, no special treatment, nothing. Just told to keep her home for 10 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

Well in the interest of full disclosure I don't vax at all - but you said you wanted any and all replies so here goes.

Whether you feel it is dangerous to skip the MMR and CP vaccine all depends on how you feel about those particular diseases. I think a vaccine for CP is ridiculous personally and even if I did vax - I would never do this one. For the record I had CP as an adult (when it is supposed to be DEADLY) and Im still here :) Yes CP can be unpleasant, but a lifetime of immunity would be a great trade off wouldn't it? Vaccine damage and reactions can be unpleasant too.

As for MMR well, IF the measles vaccine was still offered as a single vaccine I always said I would at least consider it, but it isn't and therefore well I don't consdier the MMR. I would not touch the MMR if you paid me a milllion dollars to get it. I am not concerned about rubella or mumps (seriously the risk of sterility in mumps is miniscule) and measles while yes it does concern me on some days - (like the days I let the fear mongering bullcrap get to me), Most days I call my mother and ask her about when she had it and every other child she knew had it and I watch the brady bunch clip and remind myself that in the VAST majority of cases measles are not dangerous and 40 years ago it was considered a mild inconvenience for most kids.

I won't really get into your statement: "MMR has been proven to not be associated with autism"

because I don't agree with it. It has not PROVEN to not be associated with autism. A series of seriously flawed studies found no causal relationship. I'm not inviting debate from others about this either as it has been hashed out here many times before. Im just offering an opinion.

If my child was showing signs of being on the spectrum that I was concerned about (regardless whether the doc was concerned or not)- vaccinating him would be the last thing I would do.

No matter where you stand on the vaccination issue I don't think any of us should ever use a TV sitcom as a true example of how a disease manifests and what the complications may or may not be.

Ammaarah and raelize like this.
#11 of 150 Old 06-28-2011, 02:51 PM

It's only an example on how our perception of measles has changed.  Just like how CP, when I was a child, was seen as non threatening and is now touted by many as a life threatening disease to be avoided at all cost. Measles was once see as a topic of comedy.

ammiga likes this.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#12 of 150 Old 06-28-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFTB1177 View Post

.... mumps (worried about sterility),....

FYI, mumps can affect fertility if contracted at or after puberty.  I was also concerned about the MMR and delayed the initial dose until my son was 4.

http://www.uihealthcare.com/topics/medicaldepartments/urology/maleinfertility/index.html

http://www.bupa.co.nz/fact_sheets/Factsheet.aspx?fs=cnt_mumps.html

#13 of 150 Old 06-28-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post

No matter where you stand on the vaccination issue I don't think any of us should ever use a TV sitcom as a true example of how a disease manifests and what the complications may or may not be.

The point is that if measles is such a horrible, deadly disease it most certainly would not have been portrayed on the Brady Bunch at all.  It's nowhere near as deadly as people are led to believe and putting things into perspective does help.  I'm glad there is that episode to look back on as a reminder. 

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#14 of 150 Old 06-28-2011, 04:01 PM

Remember the "Friends" episode where Phoebe got chicken pox and gave it to her boyfriend, played by Charlie Sheen?  That was as recent as the mid-90s, and they were adults who weren't concerned about the complications (though the friends duct-taped oven mitts on Phoebe's hands so she wouldn't scratch, LOL, so she and Charlie Sheen rubbed against each other to soothe the itch).

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#15 of 150 Old 06-28-2011, 04:07 PM

The link between MMR adn autism has been fulyl discredited. The original staudy was a joke and a fraud.

#16 of 150 Old 06-28-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

The link between MMR adn autism has been fulyl discredited. The original staudy was a joke and a fraud.

You do realize there have been dozens of patients who the vaccine compensation courts have awarded damages to when their autism diagnoses were considered triggered by vaccines, yes?  The Wakefield study was not the only existing link.

member234098 likes this.

#17 of 150 Old 06-28-2011, 04:41 PM

acute brain damage is not the same as autism.

And....where is logiv. Vaccination rates are falling. More and more parents are AP, thermosaul ahs been removed and yet autism cases are going up and up.  There none vaxed children who have autistm.

It is alway easier to accept some outside sourse  as a faulty party than one own genes.

raelize likes this.
#18 of 150 Old 06-28-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:

acute brain damage is not the same as autism.

And....where is logiv. Vaccination rates are falling. More and more parents are AP, thermosaul ahs been removed and yet autism cases are going up and up.  There none vaxed children who have autistm.

It is alway easier to accept some outside sourse  as a faulty party than one own genes.

This has been covered many, many times on MDC, and there is really no sense rehashing it in this thread.

Marnica and TSomm like this.

#19 of 150 Old 06-28-2011, 05:42 PM

I always think that you should trust your gut.  I do not believe that the MMR is an evil vaccine--or that it causes autism.  However, I do believe that if there's something telling you to hold off, then you need to honor that.

A few things...

Do you have any immunocompromized family members? Anybody going through chemo, have HIV, etc.? If so, I'd lean towards vaccinating.

What are the vax rates in your area? The more people who are not vaxing, the less heard immunity.  

How old is your pediatrician? This may seem weird, but if I was going to deal with the possibility of bringing some of these diseases into my home, I'd want an older pediatrician who had actually dealt/seen them before.  Newer peds just don't have the experience. (my two cents).  My Dad and Uncle were both physicians back before those vaxes existed.  They could diagnose them blindfolded.  MMR was first introduced back in 1971--so most physicians these days do not have experience diagnosing these diseases.  

Anyway, as you remember, chicken pox is not that bad.  In general, complications are rare--and the actual disease seems to give better immunity than the vax.   My issues with measles is how contagious it is... 90%.  So with a young baby in the house, I would not want to bring that into the mix (but I wouldn't want to have any diseases in the mix).  German measles too... I would want immunization at some point--but more of a precaution for pregnant women your son might come into contact with.  Mumps--not a big deal as a kid, but the risk of infertility for men is for, in general, teenage and adult men.

Honestly, if I were you, I'd honor my gut--but plan to revisit in 1-2 years and see how I felt then.  

purslaine likes this.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#20 of 150 Old 06-28-2011, 06:34 PM

Remember if you get chicken Pox there is no such thing as immunity... most people only get it once but its more common than you think about people getting it twice. I have had it twice growing up Also if you have ever seen the victims with scars all over their body from chicken pox it will definitely put getting the vaccination a must.

Vaccinations are there to protect people but like everything in life there are risks. That being said every family has too make there own decision on what is right for them.

#21 of 150 Old 06-28-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2chelly View Post

Remember if you get chicken Pox there is no such thing as immunity... most people only get it once but its more common than you think about people getting it twice. I have had it twice growing up Also if you have ever seen the victims with scars all over their body from chicken pox it will definitely put getting the vaccination a must.

Vaccinations are there to protect people but like everything in life there are risks. That being said every family has too make there own decision on what is right for them.

"Victims with scars all over their body"?  I've never seen anyone with scars from chicken pox.  And I got it in 2nd grade and gave it to everyone in my school.  My brother got it from me and gave it to his whole middle school.  No one had any complications from it (we would have known), and no one had residual scars, and certainly not "all over their body".  It was 1982, and it was honestly not a big deal.  The only minor issue was that I couldn't see my grandfather because he had never had chicken pox.  But my grandmother came over to help take care of my brother and I.

I remember being home for a week, being itchy, and my whole class sent me handmade get well cards.  I was the only person who got these, because then everyone else got the chicken pox, LOL.  We never figured out where I got it from, but again, it was just no big deal at the time.

I don't doubt that there ARE people with chicken pox scars - but it isn't a foregone conclusion that one will get them.  In fact, I'd bet that most people of my generation that I've ever met (and there have been many) had chicken pox as children and I've never seen one chicken pox scar.

#22 of 150 Old 06-28-2011, 07:09 PM

I have a delayed 2.5 yr old we did 1 HiB and 3 DTaP   Jack had chicken pox April 09.   No issues mild/moderate case no scars   We will not be doing the MMR anytime soon.   

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#23 of 150 Old 06-28-2011, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:

If "there is no such thing" as being immune to chicken pox, then what would the vaccine have to offer? 

purslaine and mamabear0314 like this.
#24 of 150 Old 06-29-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post

"Victims with scars all over their body"?  I've never seen anyone with scars from chicken pox.  And I got it in 2nd grade and gave it to everyone in my school.  My brother got it from me and gave it to his whole middle school.  No one had any complications from it (we would have known), and no one had residual scars, and certainly not "all over their body".  It was 1982, and it was honestly not a big deal.  The only minor issue was that I couldn't see my grandfather because he had never had chicken pox.  But my grandmother came over to help take care of my brother and I.

I remember being home for a week, being itchy, and my whole class sent me handmade get well cards.  I was the only person who got these, because then everyone else got the chicken pox, LOL.  We never figured out where I got it from, but again, it was just no big deal at the time.

I don't doubt that there ARE people with chicken pox scars - but it isn't a foregone conclusion that one will get them.  In fact, I'd bet that most people of my generation that I've ever met (and there have been many) had chicken pox as children and I've never seen one chicken pox scar.

Yup! I've had the chicken pox and so have all my friends....no scars to be seen from them.  The chicken pox vaccine is most definitely one of the most ridiculous vaccines out there for many reasons.

UltraMama likes this.

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#25 of 150 Old 06-29-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBoysBlue View Post

It's only an example on how our perception of measles has changed.  Just like how CP, when I was a child, was seen as non threatening and is now touted by many as a life threatening disease to be avoided at all cost. Measles was once see as a topic of comedy.

Exactly. Nobody here is using a sitcom to support any beliefs. It is an accurate reflection of how measles was viewed at the time. This is a statement from a public health report from 1967 -

for CENTURIES the measles virus has maintained

a remarkably stable ecological relationship with man.

The clinical disease is a characteristic syndrome of notable

constancy and only moderate severity. Complications are

infrequent, and, with adequate medical care, fatality is

rare."

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#26 of 150 Old 06-29-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:

well there a few points to adress here. Some people will get a disease that is supposed to confer lifetime immunity more than once. This is because for whatever reason they will not develop antibodies after an infection (or a vaccine) - but this would apply not only to the natural disease. Ie vaccinating these types of folks won't stop them from getting CP anyway. For the majority of people however, this is not the case and lifetime immunity will be achieved. HOWEVER nowadays all of us that had CP as a kid are more at riask for shingles (thanks to the cp vaccine) since we are not getting our natural boosters like we should.

The bolded part made me laugh. I am one of those people that got CP as an adult (early 20's anyway). had a SEVERE case (no complications however - just COVERED from head to toe with pox.) and do have scars. BUT the reality is that of my entire body that was covered (literally I looked scary - I remember when the scabs had crusted over my friend took to out to get some McDonalds and people were staring at me and moving tables cause I looked horrifying!) I have a handful of scars - that are basically tiny white/flesh colored circles and I have a pit scar an the tip of my nose. They are barely noticable. Seriously I have worse scars from bad zits and a bad case of poison ivy. I don't mind my "scars" in the least and unless I point them out to people - nobody even notices them. I would not put fear of pox scars at the top of any list as a reason to get the CP vaccine!!!

#27 of 150 Old 06-29-2011, 05:25 PM

200 thousands of children die worldwide  every year from the "harmless" measles. Once the vaccination rates in US fall below 70% and all the heard immunity benefits are gone....I do not even want to think that will happen here. It  will be like one of those 19th century novels.

#28 of 150 Old 06-29-2011, 05:29 PM

*facepalm*

#29 of 150 Old 06-29-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:

200 thousands of children die worldwide  every year from the "harmless" measles. Once the vaccination rates in US fall below 70% and all the heard immunity benefits are gone....I do not even want to think that will happen here. It  will be like one of those 19th century novels.

banghead.gif

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#30 of 150 Old 06-29-2011, 07:38 PM

Enjoy the heard immunity provided by parents like me. I am not an advocate of force immunizations. I think people have a right to decline anything they want for themselves and their children, but gathering scientific info about vaccines from anti-vac websites is like gathering info about harm of fastfood from research sponsored by McD. It is biased.

To decleare measles "harmless" is just not stating a true fact. It is not.

Tags
Vaccinations , Mmr , Chicken Pox , Shingles , American Academy Of Pediatrics

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page