Kids vaccinated without my consent - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 52 Old 06-28-2011, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a 7 year old and a 4 year old daughter that I lost temporary custody of to my ex-husband. His girlfriend recently took my daughters to my family doctor and vaccinated my kids without my consent. I expressed my outrage to the clinic and got nothing but a letter showing what other vaxes they need--currently my 7-year-old has had 20 vaccinations, when I had a conscientious exemption on file with her school and the clinic knew my intentions. My ex-husband was working when the girls were taken to the doctor by his girlfriend and he claims it was legal because he gave her permission to take them to the doctor.

Is this true or do I have any legal recourse?

#2 of 52 Old 06-30-2011, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

You should talk to a lawyer about it. Dont go on what your ex is saying. he's gonna do what he wants and what his GF wants, not what you want. so unless it is a court order not to vax, you may not have any legal standing. 

#3 of 52 Old 06-30-2011, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It wouldn't hurt to consult a lawyer, but I do not think you have any legal recourse. From what I understand, your ex is exercising his parental rights. If he gave permission for the vaccines and to his g-friend, than I don't think there is much you can do, especially when they is in his custody right now. Im so sorry this happened. When children get caught in the middle of custody issues and end up having something like this happen - it really should be criminal.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 52 Old 07-21-2011, 08:15 AM

If they have your exemption or refusal on file they should not vaccinate even with another parent's consent. I don't think they are supposed to do that. I would contact a lawyer

sosurreal09 likes this.
#5 of 52 Old 07-25-2011, 06:21 PM

#6 of 52 Old 07-26-2011, 12:59 AM

What legal recourse?  Are you going to recall the vaccinations?

Doctors will take any excuse to do what they think is best for their patients, and vaccinations are part of that.  If you left a gold-plated letter with your PCP, he/she would still typically vaccinate if your ex had custody for literally 5 minutes.

If you're planning on suing, I'm sorry but, no.  A parent consented to a non-invasive procedure, typically considered benign if not beneficial.

#7 of 52 Old 07-26-2011, 05:13 AM

OMG 20 vax in that short time?! WOW. I'm super pissed for you. What would they have done if they had any reaction to all of that? Just say "Oh sorry"? WTF?!

My DD has had severe (but thankfully reversible) reactions to any and all vax she has ever gotten even when we tried to just do one isolated vax! If that ever happened to her she would probably be done for...That is such bull.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#8 of 52 Old 07-26-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailey1312 View Post

If they have your exemption or refusal on file they should not vaccinate even with another parent's consent. I don't think they are supposed to do that. I would contact a lawyer

That's not true. It sounds like, at minimum, they have/had joint legal custody. This means that BOTH parents get a say in medical/dental/education/religious decisions. Which means that this mom cannot decide that the children are not to be vaccinated, without the father's input. The father has just as much say in the vaccine decision as the mother does.

It's absolutely horrible that the children got that many vaccines in such a short amount of time, but the father did nothing illegal.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#9 of 52 Old 07-26-2011, 06:58 AM

Y

#10 of 52 Old 07-26-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miriam View Post

Let your husband raise them especially if there are any ill effects from the vaccines.  

Sorry this happened.  That is just terrible.  Just the same, I hope they are OK.

Wow.  Just wow.  So if the kids aren't perfect she should just give them up?  If they fall and get a permanent injury while with him should she just abandon them in that  case too?  What a horrible thing to say!!

I'm sorry this is happening OP, but like the others, I suspect it is legal since a parent consented to the vaxes. 

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#11 of 52 Old 07-26-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:

Let your husband raise them especially if there are any ill effects from the vaccines.  

Sorry this happened.  That is just terrible.  Just the same, I hope they are OK.

Wow.  Would you also put your new puppy to sleep if it accidentally peed on the rug????

#12 of 52 Old 07-26-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:

huh.gif

#13 of 52 Old 07-26-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:

My dad told my (now) dh, when he came to michigan to pack up me and ds and move us to kentucky- "no returns, refunds or exchanges". Of course, I was 23 and he was joking....

I am hoping miriam is joking as well. A very poor joke, perhaps.
member234098 likes this.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#14 of 52 Old 07-26-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:

Um, I sure hope you don't mean this the way it sounds.  Because it sounds TERRIBLE.

OP, I'm very sorry about what your ex and his girlfriend did.  But like the others, I'm fairly certain you have no legal recourse.

member234098 likes this.
#15 of 52 Old 07-26-2011, 08:24 AM

I'm pretty sure unless you are the only one with legal custody your child's father can have a say in their medical care.  I don't think you have any legal recourse and I don't see how expressing outrage at some poor clinic worker is going to do anything.  They're just doing what a legal guardian wanted.

obstruct livery vehicles

#16 of 52 Old 07-26-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:

I have been asked to edit my response to this statement so here is my new response:

I sincerely hope that you are joking. I cannot imagine a scenario under which I would not care for my child, irrespective of whose "fault" it was that my child was hurt. I would hope any child with ill effects from a vaccine, or any other source, would continue to be loved and cared for by his/her parents and that neither parent would be demonized for making a medical decision on behalf of their own child.

Petronella likes this.

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#17 of 52 Old 07-26-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:

jaw2.gif

flowersforyou.gif

#18 of 52 Old 07-26-2011, 11:35 AM

If you do not have joint custody or a court order saying no vaccinations, then you do not have any recourse.

Miriam, wow.  Just..... wow.

Mama of three.

#19 of 52 Old 07-26-2011, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Wtf??

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#20 of 52 Old 07-26-2011, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

Miriam, this attitude saddens me.   I am not trying to be snarky, but this suggestion just blows my mind.  These are the op's children we are talking about. 

Edited.  Thank you :)

#21 of 52 Old 07-26-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:

I can't decide if this is a joke or if you mean you wouldn't want to raise an "imperfect" kid or if you think the other parent should raise an "imperfect" kid as punishment for making them that way.

None of the above options are good in any way.  either it is an awful joke or you fail to understand that children aren't only loveable when they are "perfect" or you fail to understand that children should absolutely never be used as pawns against adults and their adult issues.

I sincerely hope you would never feel that way about your children and I sincerely hope they never hear you even joking like that about them.

#22 of 52 Old 07-26-2011, 06:55 PM

I

#23 of 52 Old 07-26-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:

Reading something into my post that is not there?  Thanks.

Wow, some of you really do not understand much do you?  Did you read my first post? Did you read that I hoped the children were OK?  Honest to G-d, some of you need to learn !

BTW, I raised my own children, thanks, and took in a child from another home and raised him - something I did not have to do and I sincerely doubt any of you have done.  

A wee bit judgemental, all of you!

Please clarify, then. What was

Quote:

Originally Posted by miriam View Post

supposed to mean?

#24 of 52 Old 07-26-2011, 08:19 PM

Please remember that we do require all members to be respectful of one another to facilitate a comfortable community atmosphere. It is apparent that Miriam's post did not have the effect she intended. Miriam, while your post was an attempt at humor, you will need to edit it since it is unnecessarily offensive. Anyone who posted disrespectfully in response to Miriam will need to edit those comments out as well.
member234098 likes this.
#25 of 52 Old 07-26-2011, 09:02 PM

With all due respect, I can't even imagine joking about dumping my kids if they were harmed and it's not even clear that she was joking,  Wow.

lovingmommyhood and swede like this.
#26 of 52 Old 07-27-2011, 05:40 AM

While I would never abandon or advocate abandoning ones children due to suffering a reaction, I would be beyond livid if an ex vaccinated children against my will and they suffered consequences.  If it were at all possible I would sue.  

Op....could you write a letter to whatever doctor the ex used and state your custody situation and that you are opposed to vaccination at this time?  Some doctors might vax anyways - but some may not over fear of litigation.

Ok - I reread your OP.  Is your objection on file with the state?  That might be more for school exemptions and not a database doctors use.  If doctors are supposed to check it before vaxxing you might have some recourse.  I would call up where-ever the exemption is filed and ask a few questions on whether doctors are supposed to access the exemption before vaxxing.  

#27 of 52 Old 07-27-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

While I would never abandon or advocate abandoning ones children due to suffering a reaction, I would be beyond livid if an ex vaccinated children against my will and they suffered consequences.  If it were at all possible I would sue.  

And I wonder if her ex would be livid if they contracted a VPD and suffered consequences.  I think it goes both ways here.  Yes, it's crappy that her ex did it without talking to her about it first, but they're his kids too. 

I don't think it would be possible to sue.  Can you imagine that lawsuit?  "Well judge, my my child's father gave them medical care that 95% of kids get."  I can't see any judge taking it seriously if he had any type of custody.

obstruct livery vehicles

#28 of 52 Old 07-27-2011, 10:20 AM

How is it legal for anyone's girlfriend to get children vaxed ? So, could a babysitter get a kid vaxed?

I only get the dtap, but I have to sign for it every single time, saying that I consent to it being administered to my kid.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#29 of 52 Old 07-27-2011, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

How is it legal for anyone's girlfriend to get children vaxed ? So, could a babysitter get a kid vaxed?

I only get the dtap, but I have to sign for it every single time, saying that I consent to it being administered to my kid.

maybe he signed the forms at the drs office so she could take them in.

#30 of 52 Old 07-27-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

I only had to sign something at the first visit we did, never for any subsequent vaxes.  I think it just depends on your office.

obstruct livery vehicles

Tags
Child Custody Legal Decisions And Family Outcomes , Child Custody Guide Everything You Need To Know , Remedial And Surrogate Parenting In The Custodial Arena

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page