Is my exemption statement ok (PA) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-21-2011, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is entering a new preschool and I would like to know if the statement below is sufficient. I have used it a year ago at another preschool without question but I have slightly revised it and was wondering if anyone sees a problem with it. And if not, then maybe it will help others in PA. Print it out & sign, date and check by religious exemption.

What do you think?

-----------

To Whom It May Concern,
I am the parent or legal guardian of (childs name here). I object to the immunization requirements as outlined by the Department of Health of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania because it is against my beliefs.

Sincerely,

__________             __________
Signature                         Date

PA 28§ 23.84. Exemption for immunization.

(a) Medical exemption. Children need not be immunized if a physician or designee provides a written statement that immunization may be detrimental to the health of the child. When the physician determines that immunization is no longer detrimental to the health of the child, the child shall be immunized according to this subchapter.

(b) Religious exemption. Children need not be immunized if the parent, guardian or emancipated child objects in writing to the immunization on religious grounds or on the basis of a strong moral or ethical conviction similar to a religious belief.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-21-2011, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I would delete "or legal guardian" and I would add "strong moral conviction" or "strong ethical conviction" instead of simply, "beliefs."

#3 of 4 Old 07-21-2011, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Good point about parent. Yeah I guess one could choose one or the other instead of both.  Not that it should matter though?

As for the other suggestion, it doesnt seem to refer to "religious beliefs" which is what I used in the past but what happens if we want to do a booster at age 4+ (he did complete one series as a baby, the DTaP)  I definitely wouldn't want to be forced to play catch-up with the others, just because of that choice. So I don't want to necessarily use religion, nor do I want to state "strong moral conviction" that might open me up for questioning in the future. (I understand they are less likely to question a religious belief) So I just thought I'd put 'beliefs' and then if I'm ever questioned I would decide at the time, depending on if he had the booster or not, whether to explain my religious belief, or strong ethical conviction.

I guess I could be making this more complicated than it needs to be. But I don't want it to come back and bite me in the rear someday.

What happens to my previous exemption from old preschool (he attended for 9 months) ; do they still keep a record of that somewhere?

And what do selective vaxers do in PA? Do they hide that fact to be safe or simply state the moral conviction. I know Ohio has a separate religious and philosophical exemption but ours states either religious/medical but under religious is the ethical belief.  

Is one ever forced to go into detail about their religious and/or strong moral convictions? (personally I would say mine is more a religious conviction because I don't like any of them but if dh wants to do this booster, then I might be better off with using the moral conviction, as long as my past 'religious beliefs' I stated on the previous exemption won't cause any trouble. what would you do in this case)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#4 of 4 Old 07-22-2011, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)

you might want to read these - http://www.mothering.com/community/search.php?search=pa+exemption

Quote:

What happens to my previous exemption from old preschool (he attended for 9 months) ; do they still keep a record of that somewhere?

they need to keep it on file

you may want to be careful SOME preschools in my area are working with local PS and sending reports (assessments of sorts) to them prior to starting kindergarden and it would be mistake (but they do happen) that a copy of your vaccine record could be forwarded 

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page