Department of Health at my door! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-30-2011, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wasn't home, but Dh was. A women from the department of health came and told my Dh that DS1's primary care physician wasn't on record... 1st when he was born he did have a ped (different than now) 2nd Do they need that?

She left a notice stating to call M-F "or I will be returning next week." and wrote on the card "Its an important Health Matter" and circled the phone number. Philadelphia Department of Public health.

What could this mean? I know I'm within my right to not vaccinate, but now they're showing up at my door? How much do I have to tell them? I who my doctor is any of their business or isn't on record anyway since we have insurance? 

I'm going to probably call on Monday to get what ever this is over with, but wanted to see what you all thought/ had to say 1st.

Thanks...I'm a little worried...

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 07-30-2011, 09:30 PM

Does your state have a child heath care service?  I know Illinois has All Kids, but that's very creepy.  Judging from your signature your son isn't even 2 yet.  Is he in daycare or somewhere where you would have to fill out forms (needing therapy?)  That's the only thing I could think of. 

(hugs) I know it has to be scary! 

Done with diapers!!

#3 of 16 Old 07-30-2011, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningpearl View Post

Does your state have a child heath care service?  I know Illinois has All Kids, but that's very creepy.  Judging from your signature your son isn't even 2 yet.  Is he in daycare or somewhere where you would have to fill out forms (needing therapy?)  That's the only thing I could think of. 

(hugs) I know it has to be scary! 

Thanks. No he's not in day care or anything that should have alerted them of anything...kinda like my dogs needing tags after visiting the vet orngtongue.gif

I don't know...I think there is a PA kids insurance program for those who don't have insurance...but mine do. Trying not to stress....

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#4 of 16 Old 07-30-2011, 10:53 PM

I would just call.  It might be no big deal, and probably has nothing to do with vaccines.  Could be the age of your house (lead concerns - particularly if he wasn't tested for lead levels, thats a big concern), or anything really.  I would definitely call though, cause then you can control the conversation to some degree, rather than if they show up unannounced again.

#5 of 16 Old 07-31-2011, 07:30 AM

I would call, or better yet - email.  Do they have an email address or can you get one? That way you can simply email asking what they want, receive their reply, and have time to process how you want to handle whatever it is without having a perhaps pressure filled call.

I would be proactive, though.  I do not like the idea of officials showing up at my door!

#6 of 16 Old 07-31-2011, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

I realized I didn't mention it in first post but she asked my Dh about DS's vaccines being up to date. At that point he stopped talking and said I would call. He didn't want to 'mess' anything up. I wish they had an email...I will call, I know avoiding would make things worse. I just really wasn't expecting this.

#7 of 16 Old 07-31-2011, 12:51 PM

This is scary. I would be proactive, but demand politely how they got your information (contact, DS's name and address) and what their business is. I have heard on another forum I think once that the Dep of Philly was at someone's door and it was about vaccines. They pestered the family about getting all of them as they are so important. They were able to just send them away as there are no legal reasons to listen to that stuff, but you have to make yourself clear. Please update us on what happens.

#8 of 16 Old 08-01-2011, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

I called. I don't think this will be the last of them, but hopefully I will be 'lost' in the system. She sounded surprised i called back so soon as she had called me this morning maybe 30 minutes before. (in voicemail stating Dh had give her my number and it was important I call back) She was polite and explained briefly that she was part of an outreach trying to insure every child is vaccinated to prevent an outbreak in the city eyesroll.gif And she asked who my doctor was. I told her with a firm flat tone, she seemed startled and she that's all we need...(trailing off as if to leave room for more questions) I said good thank you and goodbye, she said goodbye. I think if they look to see I haven't I'll hear back...hopefully they won't look.

I didn't ask about how she got my info because it seemed easy to get off the phone quickly without extra questions I think the call lasted 1-2 minutes...Arg I feel like we have to keep an eye over our shoulder now...

#9 of 16 Old 08-01-2011, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I don't think I would have given them my doctor's name. But since you did, you could contact your doctor to tell him you do not give him permission to release vaccine records to the health department.

#10 of 16 Old 08-02-2011, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:

Arg I feel like we have to keep an eye over our shoulder now...

we all do...with whats going on in our country regarding the issue, all of us need to be vigilant in protecting our rights as parents. Question everyone and everything you don't understand.  

Marnica likes this.
#11 of 16 Old 08-02-2011, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

I don't think I would have given them my doctor's name. But since you did, you could contact your doctor to tell him you do not give him permission to release vaccine records to the health department.

I agree. I would have never given personal info like that to the health department!!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#12 of 16 Old 08-02-2011, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)

OP, I am also concerned. This sounds creepy! Thanks for sharing your story with us.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#13 of 16 Old 08-02-2011, 06:46 PM

Eh, she's just a person told to do something to keep her busy.  It sounds like they are just trying to make sure that everyone has access to vaccines, which is very different than making sure everyone has gotten them.  I wouldn't worry.  They're just going to call the ped and say, "you need to make sure all your patients are vaxed....blah blah blah".

They can't actually DO anything, at least I highly doubt it.  Do call your ped, or visit, and make sure that they are aware that NO medical information regarding your children is given out - but b/c of HIPPA all they should be able to say is, "We can neither confirm nor deny that we have a patient by that name, however if there is a patient by that name we can pass along ______ information for you.  Thank you, goodbye."

#14 of 16 Old 08-02-2011, 07:49 PM

We are also in philly and have had this happen. In PA there is a vaccine registry which you cannot opt out of. So if you have a ped or family doc they are required to make report all vax and non-vax stuff.

The health dept pretty much just wants to give you info for free and low cost vax bc they are assuming (based on a lot of evidence) that most/many/some kids who aren't vaxed, aren't because of no insurance etc.
#15 of 16 Old 08-02-2011, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber View Post

The health dept pretty much just wants to give you info for free and low cost vax bc they are assuming (based on a lot of evidence) that most/many/some kids who aren't vaxed, aren't because of no insurance etc.

Yes to this.  We don't vax either and I wouldn't worry if this happened to me.  When I worked in child welfare, less than half the kids were up to date on their vaccines and it had nothing to do with their parents making an educated and informed choice not to do them.  The health dept is trying to provide this service to kids who aren't getting the medical attention they should be (not that vaccines are necessarily the medical attention they should be getting, but you know what I mean). 

#16 of 16 Old 08-03-2011, 01:53 AM

I receive a letter every single month (my dd is 6 months now) about getting her vaccines up to date. And the "governor and his wife" sent me a greeting card telling me to vaccinate...so I sent it to his office with, "No thanks" written on it. Hehe

Liberty5_3000, nia82 and boomer78 like this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page