Exemptions concerns in NJ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-11-2011, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone know if NJ must accept religious exemptions for both private and public schools?  (and what category would a charter school fall under?)  I am curious specifically about New Jersey.  Also, would NJ accept a simple statement that vaccination is against my sincere religious beliefs or does it have to be a very complex statement?   If my child has received a couple of vaccines as an infant, can I simply state that I was not informed and now am consenting to not doing anymore or do they make it hard for you? (the schools? the state?)

#2 of 12 Old 08-12-2011, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yes exemptions must be accepted by both public and private school (not sure about a charter school)

As far as I know you just need to sumbit a simple written statement. Do not even get into vaccines that were given as an infant.

maybe this link will help

http://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/state-vaccine-requirements/newjersey.aspx

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 12 Old 08-12-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!! I am going to try and get a doctor's medical note but am concerned that if they give me a hard time with that (like having it overturned by the state health board-am I worrying too much?) that then I'd have to take the religious exemption. I don't really wanna hide what my child was already given when an infant -  I heard that you do have the right to change your mind and take the religious exemption even if you have partially vaccinated in the past-is this not true for NJ? Thank you so much.

#4 of 12 Old 08-12-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieMaxwell View Post

I heard that you do have the right to change your mind and take the religious exemption even if you have partially vaccinated in the past-is this not true for NJ? Thank you so much.

You have the right to change your religious beliefs at any point in your life. This would apply to every and all states (or at least those that grant religious exemptions).  People find new religion all of the time and that is their right.

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#5 of 12 Old 08-12-2011, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

New Jersey law allows religious schools to deny religious exemptions.  Public schools and non-religious private schools must accept religious exemptions.

#6 of 12 Old 08-13-2011, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you.  What about medical exemptions? I am going to ask a physician to write one -  is NJ state likely to give me a problem- do private schools tend to bother with starting trouble if a licensed physician gives them a letter. what types of phrasing is it good for the physician to use?

#7 of 12 Old 08-13-2011, 02:55 PM

A medical exemption letter must be written by a licensed physician in New Jersey. It has to be renewed annually and even though it has to be written by a licensed physician, the local Board of Health has the right to reject the exemption.  

To my knowledge, medical exemptions would apply to individuals who are allergic to any components of the vaccines, those who have had severe reactions in the past and to those individuals with a family history of allergies. Also, some immunocompromised individuals taking specific medications should not receive certain vaccines. If your child has had any of this, then you should be able to get a medical exemption but they still have the ability to reject it.  Keep in mind though that a medical exemption will not always include all vaccines. 

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#8 of 12 Old 08-13-2011, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

I am going to hand in my forms with the letter.   Hopefully the school won't challenge me.  If they do, can I just state that in my circumstance, I feel it is a sin to ask that my child receive any further vaccines and say I will check the religious exemption box?

#9 of 12 Old 08-29-2011, 01:05 PM

Hey, could anyone link me to a sample exemption letter and the government memo that I'm supposed to include a copy of? (For New Jersey)  I can't seem to find either of these things... been searching forums and google for hours... don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I'm placing my son in daycare and need to submit the religious exemption with his paperwork.

Thanks

Amanda

#10 of 12 Old 08-29-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandala View Post

Hey, could anyone link me to a sample exemption letter and the government memo that I'm supposed to include a copy of? (For New Jersey)  I can't seem to find either of these things... been searching forums and google for hours... don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I'm placing my son in daycare and need to submit the religious exemption with his paperwork.

Thanks

Amanda

Gov't memo?shrug.gif  Not sure what you are referring to when you say that, but the link below gives info regarding the religious exemption for NJ and if you scroll about halfway down the site, you'll see links to sample religious exemption letters.  I would just write your letter in your own words (using the samples as guidelines) and keep it short and simple.

http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/newjersey.htm 

#11 of 12 Old 08-29-2011, 01:55 PM

There was a memo from the Health Department, I think, basically saying that schools weren't allowed to question religious exemption letters, that many people have been suggesting people should print out and submit along with their religious exemption letter.

I've seen that site but thought the religious exemption letters on that site seemed somehow not good.  One goes way too far and one is so short I can't believe it'd be considered legal.  Has anyone got one they've used?

#12 of 12 Old 08-29-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandala View Post

There was a memo from the Health Department, I think, basically saying that schools weren't allowed to question religious exemption letters, that many people have been suggesting people should print out and submit along with their religious exemption letter.

I've seen that site but thought the religious exemption letters on that site seemed somehow not good.  One goes way too far and one is so short I can't believe it'd be considered legal.  Has anyone got one they've used?

This must be the letter from the DOH you were talking about, where it states parents cannot be questioned regarding their religious beliefs:

http://www.state.nj.us/health/cd/documents/religious_exemption.pdf 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page