Tetanus Question....... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-13-2011, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi.  I've never posted here before but I've read the boards off and on for several years.  Today I have a question I hope you all can help me with.  My 5 yr old non-vac son got poked by a wool carder at a (kind of dirty) yarn shop today.  I did not realize it immediately but did about 20 minutes later.  The wool carder was hooked up to an engine and was moving slow but the lady working there pushed on it and somehow one wire poked his finger.  When I noticed it I tried to make it bleed, but it wouldn't.  He said it never really hurt him.  We came home and I put hydrogen peroxide on it twice now.  Do you all think I need to be worried about tetanus?  I always worry about this kind of stuff....and I hate that!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Cindy

#2 of 6 Old 08-14-2011, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Tetanus is a toxin spore that is found in animal feces. Is there reason to believe there would be that on the machine in question?  Did his finger  get poked deep enough to warrant bleeding?  I wound't worry about it. How many other people at the shop have gotten cut on the machine and gotten tetanus as a result? 

#3 of 6 Old 08-14-2011, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your reply!  I guess my biggest concern is the fact that the wool carder has lots of wool on it and sometimes it could be raw wool that hasn't been washed.  As for how deep the poke is?  I can't tell for sure....but hopefully it isn't very deep.  I know it was deep enough to make a hole and it is pale red.  I read a previous post on here to soak the injury in some epsom-salt water, so I may do that as well today.  Again, thank you so much for your thoughts!  And if you have more, please feel free to share them too!

Blessings,

Cindy

#4 of 6 Old 08-14-2011, 09:13 AM
Banned

I'm pretty pro-vax and in general, I think your kid should get his tetanus shot.  

That being said, I would not feel the need to get a shot based on this prick.

#5 of 6 Old 08-15-2011, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

LOL!  I'm a tad less pro-vax than MsFortune and just wanted to point out that there is a theoretical risk of tetanus if the wool came FRESH from the farm and was unrefined.  I've gotten wool to spin directly from the source, and that source easily gets sheep and alpaca poo stuck in it.  grossedout.gif  And I swear those creatures just stick their butts on the ground and rub them around just for kicks and giggles, because that hind end gets so many burrs and mud chunks in it.  lol.gif 

It's probably pretty clean roving once it hits the yarn shop's wool carder. I'm sure the OP has already decided how to proceed, and tetanus is ridiculously rare in young children.  But I just thought I'd throw that out there.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#6 of 6 Old 08-15-2011, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your thoughts!!  Yes, like you, my biggest concern was the fact that there could be raw wool on the carder.  I know for a fact there was plenty of raw wool in the shop because the owner was showing me how she cleans it.  BUT, with that said, I did not see any near the carder.  What she had been carding was a dyed roving so I feel that it was probably clean...but worry a bit about the cleanliness of the carder.  The spot is still clearly visible on his finger, but it does not look infected.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!!!  I really appreciate it!!

Blessings,

Cindy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page