Vaccine shedding? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-16-2011, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am currently seeking a nanny to care for our children so I can keep our office running during the day. I have had a few prospects who have babies and want to bring them along. I am okay with this, however, since most/all of them seem to vaccinate, I am very concerned about vaccine shedding. Is there anywhere that has a list of how long the vaccines can shed? I need to know if they are safe to be around our kiddos! Can anyone help?

Proud Mama to Ceili Fey energy.gif(3/6/03),  Elias angel.gif (vbac.gif  4/9/08-3/4/12), Noah blowkiss.gif (vbac.gif  4/21/09 ), Henry diaper.gif (h20homebirth.gif  1/30/12 ), and babyboy.gif Calvin  (hbac.gif 3/7/12).
  novaxnocirc.gif  winner.jpg  cd.gif 

candleflicker2.gifhttp://visitourcrazyhouse.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 08-16-2011, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmtmsAlwys View Post

I am currently seeking a nanny to care for our children so I can keep our office running during the day. I have had a few prospects who have babies and want to bring them along. I am okay with this, however, since most/all of them seem to vaccinate, I am very concerned about vaccine shedding. Is there anywhere that has a list of how long the vaccines can shed? I need to know if they are safe to be around our kiddos! Can anyone help?

Any  live virus vaccines can shed, but honestly I think the chances of your child getting a VPD from a shedding vaccine is very slim. The only vaccines I would worry about shedding is the flumist nasal vaccine and the varicella vaccine, but they are not given to babies. CP isn't given until 12 months and flumist isnt given to babies. For the others I think the risk is more theoretical/rare. Here is so info about each vaccine that has the potential to shed taken from inserts:

Measles Vaccine - Although secondary transmission of the vaccine virus has never been documented, measles virus RNA has been detected in the urine of the vaccinees as early as 1 day or as late as 14 days after vaccination. (1)

In France, measles virus was isolated in a throat swab of a recently vaccinated child 4 days after fever onset. The virus was then further genetically characterised as a vaccine-type virus. (2)

Rubella Vaccine - Excretion of small amounts of live attenuated rubella virus from the nose and throat has occurred in the majority of susceptible individuals 7-28 days after vaccination. Transmission of the vaccine virus via breast milk has been documented. (3)

Chicken Pox Vaccine - Vaccine-strain chickenpox has been found replicating in the lung (4) and documented as transmtting via zoster (shingles sores) (5) as well as “classic” chickenpox (6) rash post-vaccination.

FluMist Vaccine - The mist contains live attenuated influenza viruses that must infect and replicate in cells lining the nasopharynx of the recipient to induce immunity. Vaccine viruses capable of infection and replication can be cultured from nasal secretions obtained from vaccine recipients.

Transmission of a vaccine virus from a FluMist recipient to a contact was documented in a pre-licensing trial. The contact had a mild symptomatic Type B virus infection confirmed as a FluMist vaccine virus. (8)

Rotavirus Vaccine (RotaTeq) - There is a possibility that one strain of rotavirus which is presently circulating may be an “escaped” vaccine strain, from an old Finnish rotavirus vaccine. (9)

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page