Flu shot required for work and I'm pregnant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 08-18-2011, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just found out I am pregnant. I am due April 23, 2012!!!!!

YAY!!!!

Here is a huge bump in my road. I am an RN in the NICU. My hospital has made the policy this year that you get a flu shot or you get fired. You may be exempt if you have had a serious reaction previously or if you are allergic to eggs.

**I do not have the money or the ability to sue the hospital. We are not a union state. My husband is about to lose his job so I cannot afford to lose mine too. Suing is not an option.**

I can go on my own and get the 'less mercury' shot from the local pharmacy (this is what I did last year). I will be 5 months along by the time the 'shot or fired' date comes. 

I may honestly have no choice except to get the less mercury shot and pray.

Rikki ~~ Married Aug 04 ~~ DD Feb 06 ~~ DS Oct 07 ~~ DD April 12

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 08-18-2011, 08:43 AM

I got the flu shot when I was pregnant. I was nervous because I had never had a flu shot before. But I was totally fine and had no reaction except for some soreness at the injection site.

#3 of 23 Old 08-18-2011, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It's criminal that employers put their employees in a position like this. I understand that you may not have much of a choice as you have to keep your job. I honestly don't know what I would do in your position. I suppose I would try and get a flu vaccine that was not preserved with mercury at all (order a single dose vial) and wait as long as I could to see if I could firure out a way around this.

I honestly don't know how they can discriminate against people who have religious beliefs that prevent them from vaccinating and get away with it.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 23 Old 08-18-2011, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

I went to Walgreens last year and got one that was 'mercury free'. It was a single dose shot that I double checked before she injected me. I can go that route again this year. It was easy to do. Work just needs the receipt with my name on it turned into employee health. Last year the deadline was sometime in December. If I wait until the last possible day I would be around 20-22 weeks.

Here is what Walgreens says on their page: Seasonal thimerosal-free injectable flu shots $29.99
Contain no mercury preservative. Some states require that pregnant women wanting a flu shot receive this type of vaccine. Ask your pharmacist about availability.

I also have a flexible spending account through work so this doesn't cost me any money.

#5 of 23 Old 08-18-2011, 09:21 AM

Can you get a transfer within the hospital to a place that does not require the flu shot (administrative type stuff)

Would a doctors note saying you will suffer from psychological distress suffice as a medical note?

Can you go on stress leave?

If you get the flu shot - does timing matter?  Can you wait until you are past the first trimester?  

I am sorry you are in this position  greensad.gif

#6 of 23 Old 08-18-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik8144 View Post

I went to Walgreens last year and got one that was 'mercury free'. It was a single dose shot that I double checked before she injected me. I can go that route again this year. It was easy to do. Work just needs the receipt with my name on it turned into employee health. Last year the deadline was sometime in December. If I wait until the last possible day I would be around 20-22 weeks.

Here is what Walgreens says on their page: Seasonal thimerosal-free injectable flu shots $29.99
Contain no mercury preservative. Some states require that pregnant women wanting a flu shot receive this type of vaccine. Ask your pharmacist about availability.

I also have a flexible spending account through work so this doesn't cost me any money.

It is good you can get the mercury free version and be past the first trimester smile.gif

#7 of 23 Old 08-18-2011, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Can you get a transfer within the hospital to a place that does not require the flu shot (administrative type stuff)

Would a doctors note saying you will suffer from psychological distress suffice as a medical note?

Can you go on stress leave?

If you get the flu shot - does timing matter?  Can you wait until you are past the first trimester?  

I am sorry you are in this position  greensad.gif

All employees from RNs, Drs, trash pickup, laundry, food service, etc get the shot or fired.

Only notes of medical reactions/allergies etc will pass.

And yep, you saw my earlier post. So, for now that is my plan.

#8 of 23 Old 08-18-2011, 09:53 AM

i wonder how your ob/midwife/health care provider would feel about discussing any reactions you might have had in the past?  if you had a fever or another reaction, and you told her/him this, would that be enough of a "reaction" to qualify for a written excuse?  i wonder if the reaction would have needed to be documented in some way at the time?  some healthcare providers will fudge things a little if they believe you are right in doing so. 

i had a healthcare provider once help me blur the time of when i could go back to work after birth to allow me to work from home legally.  it'd be worth asking about at any rate.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#9 of 23 Old 08-18-2011, 10:06 AM

Ugh.. You just reminded me that I'm going to have to get a flu shot also during pregnancy.  I also work at a hospital with the same policy.  I will check with Walgreens for the mercury free shot

Married to my other half

Mama to Madeline (07-10-07) and Finley (10-17-11)

#10 of 23 Old 08-18-2011, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Can you become allergic to eggs? Perhaps you could make an appointment with a new general practitioner, and have that in your notes from the beginning? 

You'd have to avoid eating eggs at work, but that would be a small price to pay.

Or maybe you could complete all the paperwork for the shot at Walgreens, pay, and get the receipt before the shot, and then "get an urgent call on your cell phone" that you have to step out and take right before getting the shot? If they don't normally have you pay prior, maybe your husband could say he is in a rush, and can he pay prior, so he can leave with his credit card?

Maybe do this in a different Walgreens than you normally go to, so they don't ask you about it when they see you again?

I know some people are going to jump all over me about my sneaky ideas, but I'd have no problem being sneaky in order to protect my baby.

Do not discuss this with anyone at work right now, so you can keep your options open.

If you are going to get the shot, wait until the last possible day, and then get a shot with NO mercury, not "less."

Here are the brands that contain no mercury:

Afluria, by CSL (Single dose vial only!!!)

Fluarix, by GlaxoSmithKline

Agriflu by Novartis

Fluzone by Sanofi Pasteur (Single dose vial or pre-filled syringe only!!!) Makes sure it is the regular strength, not high dose.

#11 of 23 Old 08-18-2011, 09:07 PM

Yeah this is absurd. I'm sorry you have to go through this, doesn't seem ethical. I work at a hospital and here you have a choice, If you choose not to receive the flu shot you must wear a surgical mask upon entering every patient's room.

treehugger.gifMama to a beautiful baby girl diaper.gif.. Ava,   born 8/21/10!  saynovax.gif

#12 of 23 Old 08-19-2011, 12:08 AM

That totally sucks. :-(  Isn't the flu shot class C drug during pregnancy?  I had asked my OB  her opinion about getting the flu vax while I was pregnant and she said that the ACOG recommends it but that I should go home and research it!  Have you asked employee health if you can just wear a mask for flu season?

I wish you the best of luck with this.

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#13 of 23 Old 08-19-2011, 07:38 AM

I got my very first flu shot while pregnant. It was from the hospital I worked at and was thimerasol free, I even read the package insert. No reaction and kiddo is just fine

#14 of 23 Old 08-19-2011, 06:45 PM

I've gotten flu shots twice while pregnant.  No problems.

#15 of 23 Old 08-30-2011, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I just got my letter from the hospital.

It IS a requirement for continued employment from now until who knows when. Yes this is wrong in every way and yes if I were able to be unemployed I would sue them.

The deadline for getting said crap injected into me and my growing fetus is Dec 1. I will be 19w3d.

So, unless my OB will give me an out (which I highly doubt since the CDC seems to think pregnant women need all vaccines), I will be getting my shot on Nov 30th. I hope this is far enough along that there will be no ill effects on the baby.

#16 of 23 Old 08-30-2011, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)

Is it possible to find a new doctor? I'm so sorry you have to go through this greensad.gif

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#17 of 23 Old 08-30-2011, 02:11 PM

i'd buy the shot, tell the pharm that a coworker will administer it, submit the reciept and dispose of the shot. The flu that went around last year wasnt even close to what was in the shot. Not worth the risk imho.

Ps i had a flu shot when i was pregnant. Ds has aspergers. If i knew then what i know now....

heartbeat.gif

#18 of 23 Old 08-30-2011, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

I do not want to switch OBs. I completely trust this group and they have delivered my other two babies.

I have thought about all kinds of deceptive things, but if I were to be 'found out' I would get fired on the spot.

My question is, every flu insert says this: "Safety and effectiveness of FLU*** have not been established in pregnant women, nursing mothers or children less than 4 years of age. (8.1, 8.3, 8.4)" so how can they expect me to just jump in line for this shot?  

#19 of 23 Old 08-30-2011, 07:33 PM

Can you stall until delivery?

It takes a while to fire people in most places.  Write them a letter near the final day and say what the package insert says and that you do not feel comfortable with the shot given the lack of testing on pregnant women.  Go through official channels of  making a complaint and your job will (probably) be held while they sort it out.  Do you have a union?  Is refusal of a shot grounds for dismissal?  I know they say it is, but are you sure they are not just using it as a scare tactic?  Have you spoken to human resources?  

Maybe I am an optimist but I have seen institutions try to push people around....if you stand up for yourself (at least try) you might get what you want.  Good luck!

#20 of 23 Old 08-31-2011, 09:27 AM

it's probably best to go thru the proper channels. Even with the threat of firing people i seriously doubt they will get 100% compliance. Are there any docs who are against this? Any coworkers? The first person i ever heard antivax stuff from was a nurse. I really doubt that you are the only one. Can you look into switching jobs? Work for a different company? Do homecare? Take vacation time or early mat leave while the heat is coming down on firing people... This is something you're going to face every year working for that hospital. Ugh. Hope everything works out okay for you.t's probably best to go thru the proper channels. Even with the threat of firing people i seriously doubt they will get 100% compliance. Are there any docs who are against this? Any coworkers? The first person i ever heard antivax stuff from was a nurse. I really doubt that you are the only one. Can you look into switching jobs? Work for a different company? Do homecare? Take vacation time or early mat leave while the heat is coming down on firing people... This is something you're going to face every year working for that hospital. Ugh. Hope everything works out okay for you.

heartbeat.gif

#21 of 23 Old 10-07-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moss View Post

i'd buy the shot, tell the pharm that a coworker will administer it, submit the reciept and dispose of the shot. The flu that went around last year wasnt even close to what was in the shot. Not worth the risk imho.
Ps i had a flu shot when i was pregnant. Ds has aspergers. If i knew then what i know now....

I got the flu shot with DD#1 (13 weeks) she's six no issues at all, she's been sick 2 times in her life.

No flu shot with DD#2 (no time) and she's 3 she has Aspergers.

Just because you got the flu shot doesn't mean that's why your child has aspergers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

Can you become allergic to eggs? Perhaps you could make an appointment with a new general practitioner, and have that in your notes from the beginning? 

You'd have to avoid eating eggs at work, but that would be a small price to pay.

Or maybe you could complete all the paperwork for the shot at Walgreens, pay, and get the receipt before the shot, and then "get an urgent call on your cell phone" that you have to step out and take right before getting the shot? If they don't normally have you pay prior, maybe your husband could say he is in a rush, and can he pay prior, so he can leave with his credit card?

Maybe do this in a different Walgreens than you normally go to, so they don't ask you about it when they see you again?

I know some people are going to jump all over me about my sneaky ideas, but I'd have no problem being sneaky in order to protect my baby.

Do not discuss this with anyone at work right now, so you can keep your options open.

If you are going to get the shot, wait until the last possible day, and then get a shot with NO mercury, not "less."

Here are the brands that contain no mercury:

Afluria, by CSL (Single dose vial only!!!)

Fluarix, by GlaxoSmithKline

Agriflu by Novartis

Fluzone by Sanofi Pasteur (Single dose vial or pre-filled syringe only!!!) Makes sure it is the regular strength, not high dose.

I wouldn't recommend lying or being sneaky, it could land you in a lot more trouble then its worth. Including being fired.

Kimberly : momma to Karrigan Kayla : and wife of Kevin
#22 of 23 Old 10-07-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyD0 View Post

I got the flu shot with DD#1 (13 weeks) she's six no issues at all, she's been sick 2 times in her life.

No flu shot with DD#2 (no time) and she's 3 she has Aspergers.

Just because you got the flu shot doesn't mean that's why your child has aspergers.

i truly believe that it was a contributing factor.  i clearly remember that day and that moment.  the public health nurse didnt even mix the vial.  it was a multi-dose vial, and i think that because she didnt mix it, i probably got most of the thimerosol in the vial. meaning that my baby got it all, because as we all know, the fetus acts like a depot for the heavy metals.  genetic predisposition, environmental trigger.

to me, no job is worth permanent neurological damage to a child.  it's not ethical to insist that a pregnant woman (or any person for that matter) has to have medical interventions that they dont want in order to keep a job.  it's also not ethical to lie.  sometimes we live in a crazy world and have to make the best of it  shrug.gif

ps, the low mercury flushots (and they ALL still have mercury from what i understand) also have other dangerous adjuvents like aluminum.  i havent seen a safe flu shot that i would trust.  not to mention that the strains of flu that they supposedly protect against are LAST year's strains.  not this year's strains.  the flu that will go around this year is a completely different strain than we have yet encountered.  it's contstantly mutating.  most of the healthcare folks i know do NOT get the shot because it's wildly ineffective.  good handwashing, nutritious diet, no sugar, exercise, rest, vites are all far far better at preventing flu than that stupid shot.

heartbeat.gif

#23 of 23 Old 10-07-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyD0 View Post

I wouldn't recommend lying or being sneaky, it could land you in a lot more trouble then its worth. Including being fired.

I probably would not go the lying route.  I would probably go the delay and "you can't make me" route.  Don't hospitals have unions?  Tie the darn thing up in red tape until the baby is born.

However, if I thought lying would be the best route I would do it.

If you genuinely believe a vax during pregnancy might cause adverse reactions, then you owe it your baby not to do get it.  Yes, it might mean you are out of a job, and yes unemployment and poverty suck - but not as much as serious adverse reactions.  

User Tag List