BCG treatment for bladder cancer (like TB vax) an unvaxed kids - risks of shedding? HELP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-30-2011, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My MIL was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer and will begin BCG immunotherapy (essentially the same as a TB vax, according to her dr).  It's a live attenuated virus.

Our boys are NOT vaxed, and I'm concerned about shedding since it's a live virus.  Does anyone have helpful articles in reference to BCG treatment and shedding?  Or can anyone lead me to some solid information?

This is a treatment that she'll undergo 1x/wk for 6 weeks.  And I really hate to exclude her from our boys for that length of time unless there is an inherent risk.

Thanks!

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#2 of 2 Old 08-30-2011, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dad is currently on his fourth BCG treatment here, and we were worried about the same thing, especially because A is not vaccinated and we all live in the same house. I spoke with his doctor, and he told me a few things that eased my mind, along with researching on my own.

Because the treatment is deposited directly into the bladder via catheder, then expelled after two hours into the toilet, the main risk is in the bathroom that he uses, even though he follows the protocol of putting bleach into the toilet after every urination for that entire day. For us, we are lucky to have a large home, and my dad has his own bathroom, so my little one doesnt go into Papa's room, or into his bathroom, at all.

My dad is very careful about bleaching his hands, all the way up to the elbow after urinating as well, just in case.

I will look and see if I can find some of the links I researched for you as well. Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page