Contagion - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-11-2011, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just want to know who thought this was a good idea? And how come nobody that's seen it seems to realize that they just saw a 2 hour long advertisement for vaccinations?

#2 of 15 Old 09-11-2011, 07:45 AM

But it was a good movie....and likely how things would work if the situation came about. winky.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by treereach View Post

I just want to know who thought this was a good idea? And how come nobody that's seen it seems to realize that they just saw a 2 hour long advertisement for vaccinations?

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#3 of 15 Old 09-11-2011, 08:42 AM

I haven't seen it, but now I'm curious....we'll be watching it tonight ;)

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

#4 of 15 Old 09-11-2011, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
But it was a good movie

Yeah, no.

Quote:

and likely how things would work if the situation came about.

Including the 'alternative' medicine bad-guy out to make millions off the fake-homeopathic remedy, eh?

I found it so funny that review after review had things like 'there's no cohesiveness' or 'no solid story line'. It's like they couldn't quite put their finger on what was wrong with it. It doesn't even seem to occur to anyone that they just watched a blockbuster infomercial.

Anyways. I don't vax, but that wasn't really what annoyed me. I'm not big on movies like 'Zombieland' either. Especially if they're not up front about what they're doing.

JMO.

#5 of 15 Old 09-12-2011, 05:33 AM

I could never bring myself to pay for tickets to see that movie.  I could tell from the previews alone what the message being conveyed to the public was going to be and I see that message enough when I walk into a grocery store and see the millions of signs that say "Flu Shots Here." I really don't need to waste money on a movie that hypes it up even more and tries to scare everyone in the theater into getting their vaccines. I hope it bombs big time at the box office.

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#6 of 15 Old 09-13-2011, 02:46 PM

I'm a non-vaxer.

I kinda' liked the movie...but I like movies about viruses/disease/end of society as we know it. I thought the mentions of the overreaction of  H1N1 was interesting, as well as the mention that the vax to cure the disease the movie was about would likley also cause infection in some(though they didn't show this happen to anyone). I liked the alternative medicine guy and to both me and DH it didn't make sense when he was suddenly faking having had the illness. I thought the whole idea of who gets vaccinated first to be really interesting and showing the corruption of big pharma/ govts.

I don't expect Hollywood to make a movie about vaccinations that I'll agree with so, for me, it was just a fun night at the movies. Most folks aren't going to go away from this thinking 'see!!!! vaccinations work!!!'...if someone were to think that I imagine they thought that before hand.

lonegirl likes this.

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#7 of 15 Old 09-13-2011, 03:07 PM

orngtongue.gif  I want to see it but I chuckled all the way through "I am Legend" ( with Will Smith) where the anti cancer vaccine mutated turned the population into zombies.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#8 of 15 Old 09-14-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:

Including the 'alternative' medicine bad-guy out to make millions off the fake-homeopathic remedy, eh?

They had to throw in a disturbing fake tooth, too, just to give the full effect, I guess.  (OMG that was scary!)  I saw it yesterday with my mom and I felt like she was sitting there thinking her usual thoughts, that I'm some loon who believes everything I read on the internetz and that vaccines are the savior of the world. 

#9 of 15 Old 09-14-2011, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm going to see it this weekend. I love the whole "end of the world" genre.

As far as the vax/no vax messages.. I'll have to let you know once I've seen it.
#10 of 15 Old 09-18-2011, 04:50 PM

Just saw the movie. The origin was quite believable and the spread of infection was quite believable. The naturopath was portrayed a greedy crackpot who urged folks to spend their money on a herb tincture rather than isolate themselves or wait for a cure. The vaccine was not the savior.. rather it was produced only after millions of deaths and months have gone by. Yes, it was a morbid and creepy movie. Could it happen? I think so.
#11 of 15 Old 09-24-2011, 07:09 PM

I haven't seen the movie and probably won't, but it is interesting that the movie release coincides with the new flu vaccine, no?

It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.
Benjamin Franklin
#12 of 15 Old 09-25-2011, 01:11 PM

Yep my husband did unfortuantely we are two opposites!!!! We really should not have went and seen this together. ):  I really took it about the homeopathic guy trying to help all those that wouldn't listen but my husband just laughed and said SEE!! urrrgg should have stayed home.

#13 of 15 Old 10-20-2011, 03:04 AM

I am anti-vaccine for my family and really enjoyed the movie! But I like all those virus/end of the world movies. "Wash your hands" is what I got out of it, especially after it was mentioned that the average person touches their face thousands a time a day! I think it's 3-5 times every waking minute!

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
Mom to Conner (8/19/03) and Parker (5/23/09)::::
#14 of 15 Old 10-20-2011, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
But I like all those virus/end of the world movies.

See, me too. That's why I went. I even left everyone at home so I could just enjoy the movie myself. I think that's what really p'd me off about it. I was thinking it was a real movie. It's weird to me that no one is seeing what I'm seeing. It's like the movie was written backwards. Instead of someone thinking 'I have a story to tell', someone said 'let's make a movie to scare everyone into vaccinating'. 

I think I'm coming across like a loony here. It sounds like I'm ranting about the pro-vax storyline. But that really isn't what bothered me (I am anti-vax, obviously). And of course, I feel let down by the majority of movies that come out lately, which is why I never really go any more. This one was just different. I walked out feeling used and dirty. And not because I touched my face 300-500 times during the movie :P 

#15 of 15 Old 10-21-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treereach View Post

It sounds like I'm ranting about the pro-vax storyline. But that really isn't what bothered me (I am anti-vax, obviously). And of course, I feel let down by the majority of movies that come out lately, which is why I never really go any more. This one was just different. I walked out feeling used and dirty. And not because I touched my face 300-500 times during the movie :P 

I didn't think the film was pro-vax. A lot of folks died before the vax got made. In no way was big pharma the savior. In fact, the only thing the vax did do was allow the survivors to get on with some semblance of a normal life.

Big plagues have happened. They just haven't happened in our living memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page