Talk to me about getting the flu vax immediately after taking steroids for a week - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-19-2011, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

We delay and decline vaxes; my 23mo is unvaxed currently.  He had some sort of reactive airway episode this weekend after having a cold; it may or may not be the first time it has ever happened but this was the worst!  In the hospital, and at the follow up with the doc today, they told me that he should have the fluvax because he is at higher risk for complications if he has Reactive Airway disease or asthma (which are not his diagnoses considering it has happened this one time.) 

So I KNOW that the flu might even cause complications for the asthmatic, and that people used to be told not to get it if they were asthmatic.  I also know that there is usually (always?) thimerosol in the flushot. 

I am leaning toward NOT getting the flu shot for the 20 mo, but I am wondering if I do, if it is a bad idea when he has been taking steroids all week?  Doc says it is ok if he doesn't have a high fever; we are scheduled to see him in a few days.  I am worried about him taking the shot after being on immunosuppressants, even if only for a week.

Advice?  Thoughts?  I am looking for research to take in with me because he is a very good doc and will appreciate what I have to say.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-19-2011, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

The live virus nasal spray flu vaccine is not approved for children under 2 years old.

So that leaves the injectable flu shot. You are correct that most available doses contain mercury. I can't imagine anything being worth injecting mercury into the body.

Only if you can find a mercury free shot for him should this even be an issue.

#3 of 3 Old 09-20-2011, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sorry, I have no research, only anecdotal information.  We were in a similar position last year and the two years prior.  Croup would trigger a reactive airway episode in my daughter every fall.  We don't vax at all but I was wondering about the flu vax after the second episode.  Ultimately we did not get it but after being on steroids for a few days two years ago my daughter developed shingles.  So I was glad to not have given her immune system more to deal with.

FWIW, she's now six, had a similar croup episode recently and it did not trigger the reactive airway episode.  I'm told she's likely outgrown that.  Contrast this to two years ago when I was told she had situational asthma. 

I'm sorry you have this to deal with.  It's a tough place to be. 

Single Mama to my sweet boo.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page