flu shot - why would insurance pay for if it wasn't effective? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-22-2011, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband is planning to get a flu shot. It is free at his work.. He believes it is safe and effective. I tried to talk him out of it in the few minutes that I had but am at a loss for words. His question to me: why would the insurance companies pay for it if it wasn't effective?

He only believes sites that come from the CDC or FDA etc.  How do you convince someone like this?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 10:36 AM

He's an adult making his own choice.  Ultimately, I'm not sure it's your job to convince him.  No problem with laying out the facts as you see them, but ultimately it's a decision owned by him.

I believe the CDC does list the groups of people for whom it is not safe, and states that effectiveness in the lab is certainly less than 100% (and even less for people in some categories, like the elderly). 

My guess is that insurance companies pay for it because they believe it's effective enough to prevent major wide-spread influenza outbreaks, and that paying for vaccinations is far and away cheaper than paying out for large-scale influenza hospitalizations and treatments.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

If he only believes sites from the FDA and CDC, ask that he please read the full package inserts, which are listed on the FDA's website. Is he willing to take the risk of developing any of the serious side effects listed in the package inserts?

Does his work at least offer the single dose vials which are mercury free? I can't understand how any educated person could knowingly allow himself to be injected with mercury.

Here are the package inserts.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM263239.pdf

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM112904.pdf

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM220624.pdf

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM123694.pdf

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM192127.pdf

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM195479.pdf

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM123743.pdf

(FluMist--nasal spray, sheds live virus)

Old 09-22-2011, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post

He's an adult making his own choice.  Ultimately, I'm not sure it's your job to convince him.  No problem with laying out the facts as you see them, but ultimately it's a decision owned by him.

True but this is a slippery slope. The fact that he thinks it is worth getting is scary to me. If I say nothing now, what is going to happen if he suddenly decides he wants our son to get it too? I normally don't try to convince grown men of anything including husbands. But children aside, if you care about someone you might try to persuade them to think again about a decision that could cost them their health. 

Does this years seasonal flu vax contain the swine flu strain too? Its been a year or two since I stopped being up to date on these things.. curious.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
Old 09-22-2011, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

If he only believes sites from the FDA and CDC, ask that he please read the full package inserts, which are listed on the FDA's website. Is he willing to take the risk of developing any of the serious side effects listed in the package inserts?

Does his work at least offer the single dose vials which are mercury free? I can't understand how any educated person could knowingly allow himself to be injected with mercury.

I'm with you there, I did mention that I hope its a mercury-free one since its a poison and neurotoxin, his reply was you get more in fish than in the vaccine.

thanks for the links. Will try to find out which he got if any (he mentioned he was getting it today, going out the door, last day for it, I can't believe he fell for this propaganda... he thinks the same of me of course)

Old 09-22-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newmum35 View Post

Does this years seasonal flu vax contain the swine flu strain too?

Yes. This year's flu vaccine is exactly the same as last year's. And last year's contained H1N1.

If your husband got the flu vaccine last year, there's no reason to get it again this year. Even if he didn't get the flu vaccine last year, he should consider the possibility that he is already immune to the flu strains in the vaccine, because they were circulating last year. An exposed person can become immune without getting sick.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newmum35 View Post

I'm with you there, I did mention that I hope its a mercury-free one since its a poison and neurotoxin, his reply was you get more in fish than in the vaccine.

I hope he doesn't inject fish into his body. lol.gif  eyesroll.gif

Old 09-22-2011, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

Quote:

Yes. This year's flu vaccine is exactly the same as last year's. And last year's contained H1N1.

If your husband got the flu vaccine last year, there's no reason to get it again this year. Even if he didn't get the flu vaccine last year, he should consider the possibility that he is already immune to the flu strains in the vaccine, because they were circulating last year. An exposed person can become immune without getting sick.

He's never gotten one before in his life. this would be his first ever.  and we've all already had the flu several months ago. his reply was that was just one strain, there are many others (I guess he thinks the vax covers them all, and works...)

User Tag List