Air travel during the winter/holiday season - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2011, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Ladies- Just wondering what your thoughts are regarding flying during the holiday season (to visit my family for Christmas). My little one is selectively vaccinated. I've read that plane air is recycled and also read that fresh air is still used (long flight; domestic)? Does anyone know which is correct? I'd appreciate any suggestions and experiences traveling during this time of year (from all that have & particuarly those that traveled with a young toddler).

Thanks in advance. :-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2011, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My understanding is that it is both fresh and recycled (but highly filtered) air.

Quote:

Recycled airplane air isn't as disgusting as you think, writes Dave Levitan in Psychology Today. In fact, it's cleaner than the air in your office.

"Air on an airplane is about half fresh and half recirculated, and that whole volume is changed out several times per hour, pilot Patrick Smith, author of Ask the Pilot on Salon.com told Levitan. “Recirculated air passes through the same kind of high-efficiency particulate air filters hospital ORs use--which remove almost all bacteria and viruses."

I have travelled a bunch of times during the holiday season and also during March with my now 3.5 yr old. No major issues. I think the most likely thing you are anyone on a plane may get is a cold. I think the illness while when you fly connection has more to do with the contaminated surfaces (ie tray tables, armrests, bathrooms etc) than the air. Those surfaces are not sterilized between flights or regularly at all. Your best bet is to wash hands frequently or use lots of hand sanitizer on the flight and keep hands away from your face/mouth nose etc. That and boost your kids immune system for a few weeks prior to travel.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Marnica- Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate your advice and information. With regard to vitamins/supplements, what is best for the immune system? Probiotics, vitamin C & D? Am I missing anything else?

Old 10-11-2011, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Personally I use all of the above routinely, for extra boosting I may up the vitamin c and also add in some extras like echinechea, astrugalus, and elderberry until after the trip is over. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJA14 View Post

Marnica- Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate your advice and information. With regard to vitamins/supplements, what is best for the immune system? Probiotics, vitamin C & D? Am I missing anything else?

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

User Tag List