Timing of Hib - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-12-2011, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My 9 month old DS has had no vaccines as of yet. And I feel pretty good about it, except I am still hung up on Hib. I was considering getting him Hib once he is a year, I was under the impression that way he only needed one shot. I just read the ActHib info and it says he will need one shot plus a booster two months later.

Did you do this? Is the booster necessary? If I am not willing to get the booster should I just forget about the shot altogether. Thanks!

#2 of 15 Old 10-12-2011, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think if the first shot is given after 15 months you only need one.  

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#3 of 15 Old 10-12-2011, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

My eldest DD and my only vaxed child had it at 15 months and only needed one shot. It was 20 years ago, but I remember that ped wouldn't give her the hib with the MMR, and had me wait three months before getting DD the MMR vaccination.

Personally, I totally regret she got the hib vax (all the vaxes she got actually), but I begged the doctor for it and as it wasn't approved in Hong Kong, where we were living at the time, it had to imported from Japan.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#4 of 15 Old 10-12-2011, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies! Mirzam, you regret getting your DD vaccinated Would you mind sharing your thoughts about that? I can always use a bit of encouragement of reasons to keep saying no! : )

#5 of 15 Old 10-12-2011, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

In retrospect I believe it was pointless, but I scared myself into doing it because a little boy in a playgroup we attended became deaf as a result of meningitis. I had not done any research on vaccines at that time, nor did I know that as a breastfed baby, DD was probably well protected from Hib anyway. My younger two children now 14 and 11 have never received a single vaccination, and I didn't give Hib a second's worth of worry, even I though knew another baby hospitalized with meningitis, who fully recovered. He is now a strapping 14 year old.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#6 of 15 Old 10-13-2011, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

After 15 months, per CDC guidelines, he would only get one shot: 

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/hib/vac-faqs-hcp.htm

"What is the Hib schedule for children >15 months of age who have fallen behind or are completely unvaccinated?

Children 15-59 months of age who have an incomplete Hib vaccination schedule, including those who are unvaccinated, should receive a single dose of any Hib conjugate vaccine. Hib vaccine is not routinely recommended for persons 5 years of age or older." 

So, you can just wait til he's 5 and suddenly there's no threat of this disease anymore.  (Sorry.  Sarcasm mine.) 

Bokonon likes this.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#7 of 15 Old 10-16-2011, 11:06 AM

Hib is one that I'm undecided on as well. My son is almost two and has had two doses of DTaP, and that's it. Our pediatrician is fine with us choosing not to vaccinate, but if we selectively vax, Hib is one he recommends because he feels there's a reasonable chance of being exposed to it. My son does not attend daycare or preschool, but older sis is in public school now. It's reassuring to know that if we do get the hib vax, we'd only need one dose.

#8 of 15 Old 10-16-2011, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses!

Mirzam, thanks for writing back, I am totally freaking myself out to. And I understand being scared enough to just do it, I almost called the health unit the other day because I go through waves. At one point I am so confident and then the next day I am a basket case about him getting sick, it is ridiculous!

Xerxella - Do you vaccinate your kids/ What do you personally think about Hib? It sounds like you think it is a bit silly, and I agree that I think it is kind of weird how all of a sudden at 5 they are not going to be at risk anymore.

Mcgee - Nice you found a doctor who is not scaring you in to vaccinating. We are in Canada so our doctors do not immunize, so they don't really say anything, if you ask their opinion they will let you know. And of course as a scared new mom at our two month appointment and she stressed the importance of Hib. What your doctor is saying scares me though, because I thought once kids were older they were no longer at risk for contracting Hib. Cause we do not see many kids, but I do have a 5 year-old nephew in kindergarten and daycare. We don't see him if he is "sick" and I thought our exposure from him was really limited. Our little guy is nine months and still exclusively breastfeed.

#9 of 15 Old 10-16-2011, 02:21 PM

Hib for me was important because my father had meningitis around 13 yrs old, and is deaf in one ear and endless kidney infections which has gone on to develop kidney disease from the meningitis infection. i know that it's not as common in older kids, but seeing all the problems my father has gone through really made me think hard about this. we did 3 doses, the first was fine. the second DD broke out in eczema after the vax, which started with dry skin at the injection site and had spread up her trunk and the same thing happened after the 3rd shot at 18 months. she still gets eczema (at 3), and i know it's from the vax working its way out of her system. i know this will cause some back lash, so don't flag me, but i would do it again but one dose around 15 or 18 months.

#10 of 15 Old 10-16-2011, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply Mama2Rio.

It makes sense that Hib would be an important vax for you. Sorry to hear about the troubles he has had because of meningitis. So you think if I waited till 15 months that would be ok? I guess I am nervous about going through the winter without it. Rational or not. He won't be 15 months until April.

Anyone have any thoughts about the children who come down with Hib after vax? This obviously concerns me as well. I am not very good at understanding how it all works. Mama2Kay has written some great responses about Hib vaccine causing a mutation, so yet another concern! Ahhhh. Motherhood = worry!! And to think DH and I were discussing if we should start trying for babe #2, I think I have to figure this out first!!

#11 of 15 Old 10-16-2011, 08:14 PM

i would say you just have to go with your gut. what ever you choose will be the best choice you could make at that time with the information you have. as long as your breastfeeding, it will protect your LO. you may also what to look at local rates of infection in your area as well. are you more home-bodies during the winter or will you be exposed to a lot of others and in playgroups? will you be riding subways or using buses? (my father believed he caught it on the subway, he grew up in NYC). there are a number of factors to consider.

also, think about the 'mutations' of all viruses, not just those we have vax or medications for. viruses will evolve to fit a host environment for better success of survival.

#12 of 15 Old 10-18-2011, 11:54 AM

Is Hib still a major concern? I was under the impression that Hib was mostly gone and other strains had taken over.

We don't vax. I think the best way for my children to fight diseases is to have a healthy immune system. We support their immune system in many ways to keep it strong. I believe vaxing weakens the immune system and do not view that as a way to keep my kids healthy.

#13 of 15 Old 10-18-2011, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for the responses!

Mama2Rio: I am trying to go with my gut, but then fear takes over and I don't know what to do! Sheesh I had no idea that I would be this type of Mama who worried so much I used to be so much more calm! I did try to look up local cases, but could not find anything, either I am not a good researcher or there really isn't much around! And you are right, we don't go out much, never use public transport, and do not do activities with other children. Sometimes my 5 year old nephew visits, but that is about it. I really do want to wait until he is 15/18 months old to get one does. My mind will be made up and then I read a story about a little girl needing all her limbs amputated due to meningitis. And then you read about a hib vax reaction that caused viral meningtis and a hospilization for three days. I guess I know I would feel terrible either way, obvously one is much worse then the other! I guess it is because the medical world makes you feel like you are being so irresponsible as a parent. Thanks for your help.

Ammiga: You are right Hib is not around much anymore, but it terrifies me and I just cannot seem to get past it. I was hoping to wait to get one shot, but now that winter is slowly settling in I worry about all the stuff that goes around! I understand what you are saying about weakening the immune system and that is one of the reasons I have not gone to get it yet.

#14 of 15 Old 10-18-2011, 02:21 PM

I can't help but wonder if some of the reasons you see these extreme reactions are because kids have such extreme reactions is that their immune systems are so abused. Not just from vaccines, but I certainly believe those are a cause. I wouldn't make my decision from extreme cases on either side. I would look at the details of our particular situation and make a decision from there.

Also, remember that doing a risk/benefit analysis is going to greatly skew your vision, depending one which side you give the risks and which side you give the benefits. A more accurate way to look at things is to weigh the risks of vaccinating (for any disease or at all) with the risks of not (given your particular situation). You can do the same with the benefits.

#15 of 15 Old 10-19-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommatoGray View Post

Thanks again for the responses!

Mama2Rio: I am trying to go with my gut, but then fear takes over and I don't know what to do! Sheesh I had no idea that I would be this type of Mama who worried so much I used to be so much more calm! I did try to look up local cases, but could not find anything, either I am not a good researcher or there really isn't much around! And you are right, we don't go out much, never use public transport, and do not do activities with other children. Sometimes my 5 year old nephew visits, but that is about it. I really do want to wait until he is 15/18 months old to get one does. My mind will be made up and then I read a story about a little girl needing all her limbs amputated due to meningitis. And then you read about a hib vax reaction that caused viral meningtis and a hospilization for three days. I guess I know I would feel terrible either way, obvously one is much worse then the other! I guess it is because the medical world makes you feel like you are being so irresponsible as a parent. Thanks for your help.

Ammiga: You are right Hib is not around much anymore, but it terrifies me and I just cannot seem to get past it. I was hoping to wait to get one shot, but now that winter is slowly settling in I worry about all the stuff that goes around! I understand what you are saying about weakening the immune system and that is one of the reasons I have not gone to get it yet.

If you are still bf or have for a while it is very protective against HiB and other HI strains.

http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/26/2/443

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page