"Counteracting" Negative Effects? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-16-2011, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm awful with titles. I have to vaccinate my 11 month old and my 2y11m children, as well as re-vaccinate myself for yellow fever. I can't get out of it, even though it's not recommended for breastfeeding mothers or for children under a year. I know, odds are, they'll be fine, but I'm a little worked up about the potential nasties. Especially the neurological side effects, which seem to be much more common in babies under a year. 

Is there anything I can do to sort of decrease the toxicity? Are there any homeopathic remedies that are recommended for neutralizing the bad bits? Specific nutritional supplements that might help their systems deal with the toxins better/faster? 

I think I've decided to delay this as long as possible. We're travelling in very early January, and the yellow fever certification doesn't come in to effect until 10 days post administration, so I was thinking I'd see what's doable in regards to holiday schedules, but ideally I'd give it in mid/late December. Basically, they'd get the vaccine, get loaded on to a plane a day or two later to go halfway across our country and visit people/places they've never seen (well, dd has, but 2+years ago) for a short visit, and then I'm going to load them on to more planes. All day on a plane to Europe, and then all day on another plane to central Africa. We'll be going from the dead of winter to the rainforest. In Nairobi, we land and everyone is sprayed down with god only knows what sort of pesticide while sitting in the plane, and then we take off again for our actual destination. We'll be staying with my parents, and I'm not at all concerned about sanitation, food, access to medical care, etc while we're there in terms of safety, but it will be a LOT of changes in a very short period of time, and I know their little bodies are going to be stressed even without the added hit of a vaccine. So, is there a school of thought that says I should vaccinate them a few weeks earlier, so their bodies have time to clear things out a bit before I subject them to the stress of travel?

Thanks so much for any info you might have.

For greater things are yet to come...

#2 of 3 Old 10-16-2011, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If this is something you have to do, I would consider giving it a week or so earlier, that way if there are problems you will be in your own home and have access to your own doctors, stores, etc.  I know the herbal company I use, used to make a homeopathic vaccine detox but they stopped making all their homeopathics.  I'm sure there are others, and I'm sure since it is a live weakened vaccine, boosting your immune system prior to the the vaccine should help.  Also by planning to do it a bit earlier, if you or your kids get a cold/flu, you could delay the shot a little and not have to get it while being sick. 

Safe travels!

Done with diapers!!

#3 of 3 Old 10-20-2011, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I agree with shining pearl, I would do it a few weeks early so that you are home if anything happens as well as having less stress surrounding the vaccination. Rescheduling if they are sick is one I'd do too. There is a new supplement out there called vaccishield, www.vaccishield.com, it is supposed to help with side effects of vaccines. I've also heard of the homeopathic thuja to deal with pain from the shot, maybe there is a homeopath near you that would have a better answer. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page