Vaccination schedule helps prevents SIDS - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 10-18-2011, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I got an email today from my mom who is desperately trying to get us to vaccinate DD with a link to the AAP's updated recommendations on preventing SIDS, and one of the recommendations says that research has shown that receiving all of the recommended vaccines prevents SIDS. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on this (sorry, if this isn't new news, DD is our first so we've just started to research vaccinations) and if anyone knows what sort of research went into the AAP making this conclusion? I always had a feeling that vaccines may contribute to SIDS so I'm curious as what sort of research went into this!

Here is the link to the article: http://firstwatch.jwatch.org/cgi/content/short/2011/1018/2?rss=1&q=mednews_home

#2 of 22 Old 10-18-2011, 10:46 AM

What evidence?  there is no support for this claim! 

Done with diapers!!

#3 of 22 Old 10-18-2011, 01:30 PM

I am at a loss for words.  I don't see how there can be any evidence to support that.

SilverMoon010 likes this.

Cristina, Mama to Michael 03-16-06, Nathan 01-16-11, and an angel 01-20-09,
Go with your gut, follow your heart.
#5 of 22 Old 10-19-2011, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

Hm, thanks Jugs interesting links. I would love to find out the specifics of all of these studies however, as right now it really seems like they're just tying two separate facts very loosely together. Especially the study with Hungary, the decrease of SIDS could have been caused by so many factors, not just because they started the Hib vaccine. I find it really strange that they believe vaccines could prevent SIDS, vaccines are made to prevent specific diseases so unless they have a vaccine for SIDS that we don't know about, how on earth could they prevent it? I would love to hear their theories on that.

Here is the full article directly from the AAP if anyone is interested, it also has some gems in there about cosleeping. eyesroll.gif

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2011/10/12/peds.2011-2285.full.pdf+html

#6 of 22 Old 10-19-2011, 05:50 AM

There has been research for quite some time now to determine if inapparent bacterial colonization may be an underlying cause of SIDS. A drop in SIDS after introducing a hib vaccination program does support that hypothesis.

#7 of 22 Old 10-19-2011, 06:42 AM

Link please, that SIDS cases have dropped since the introduction of the HIB vaccine.  Just want to read up on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugs View Post

There has been research for quite some time now to determine if inapparent bacterial colonization may be an underlying cause of SIDS. A drop in SIDS after introducing a hib vaccination program does support that hypothesis.

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#8 of 22 Old 10-19-2011, 08:27 AM

Click on the third link in post #4

#9 of 22 Old 10-19-2011, 09:37 AM

My guess is that they ended up comparing babies who weren't vaccinated because they were born terminally ill, and naturally had a higher mortality rate.  Because there aren't that many children who are completely unvaccinated, and autopsies are done in cases of SIDS, and would hopefully yield information about a bacterial infection, thus making the death NOT SIDS.

The recommendation to push the current vaccination schedule based on a correlation is laughable.  If correlation does not equal causation for vaccine injuries, then it doesn't for SIDS deaths either.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#10 of 22 Old 10-19-2011, 11:20 AM

really - same could be said for the rise in SIDS deaths related the rise in # of vaccines being given

however - breastfeeding is protective against HiB and other HI infections:

http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/26/2/443

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/103/3/e28?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&author1=levine&fulltext=pneumococcal+disease+north+america&searchid=1129197896105_2645&stored_search=&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&journalcode=pediatrics

#11 of 22 Old 10-19-2011, 12:09 PM

That's a new one. If you speak German, look at how the TOKEN study was a tad manipulated. http://ehgartner.blogspot.com/2011/08/die-tricks-des-robert-koch-instituts.html Interesting read.

When I have time again, I can read up more on the subject...

#12 of 22 Old 10-19-2011, 12:18 PM

The population that doesn't vaccinate is small, but it includes children who cannot be vaccinated due to medical exemptions.  Meaning, parents who would love to vaccinate but those kids are too sick or too fragile.  It that accounted for in the study?  They way these stories are presented in the news doesn't account for that population at all.  It comes across as more bullying against those parents who choose not to vaccinate.  "Unvaccinated" is not one lump category; it includes healthy, robust children, and some of the weakest, sickest babies.  "If you would just have vaccinated, your child wouldn't have died of SIDS" is really cruel towards a mom whose baby qualified for Synagis.

purslaine and Bokonon like this.
#13 of 22 Old 10-20-2011, 10:18 AM

"As the lead author of new guidelines on SIDS prevention just published by the American Academy of Pediatrics, Dr. Rachel Moon says it is unclear why vaccines seem to have this protective effect."

#14 of 22 Old 10-20-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingamomma View Post

"As the lead author of new guidelines on SIDS prevention just published by the American Academy of Pediatrics, Dr. Rachel Moon says it is unclear why vaccines seem to have this protective effect."

But do it anyway!  :(

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#15 of 22 Old 10-20-2011, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My guess is that they are reaching since some parents seem to be likely to skip vaccines altogether. This is a new scare tactic.. get all your shots or your baby could die of SIDS! But.. the SIDS deaths have been on the decline since the 1994 "back to sleep" campaign. Now in the states, less than one baby per thousand might fall prey to SIDS. Now, that one in a thousand is not nothing... I've had some things happen to me in that "one in a thousand" range but it does mean its rare.

http://www.sidscenter.org/Statistics.html

Scroll down to see some better charts

My kids are very nearly grown and they were select vaxed. Soon, they will be making their own health choices and I will no longer have control. But I don't think this article is enough to have persuaded me with little 7 pound babes back in the mid 90's to have done anything other than what I did. One vaccine a time and not all of them. No flu shots.
#16 of 22 Old 10-20-2011, 08:33 PM

Yeah, I was watching the news last night (CTV) and they were saying this.  At one point the woman said that vaccinating has shown a decrease in the risk of SIDS by 50% over unvaccinated babies.  Umm, no.  No way.  Either they were mistaken or outright lying!  WTH?  I don't believe it, I  think it's spin.  I want to see the actual numbers and who exactly was included in the study.  I've also heard on the news months ago that babies who are fully vaccinated have lower risk of SIDS than those that are partially vaccinated.  This doesn't make any sense- I mean, isn't a fully vaccinated baby outside the age range of SIDS?  Most SIDS cases are between 2-4 months, and they can't be fully vaccinated at that age anyhow.  Do they say these things without any science or reference to specific studies in the hopes that the public will buy it without question and rush out to vaccinate??   One theory I've heard behind this is that vaccination challenges the immune system and thus builds a stronger immune system. 

Jewels & Jon (Married 11+ yrs)- Homeschooling, No Circ, BF, CD Mama to:
Alex 8 Gabby 6 (Homeborn!) Gideon 2.... chickens, ducks, cats and a dog
#17 of 22 Old 10-20-2011, 10:02 PM

There's another thread about this over in the co-sleeping area and this is my grumpy response winky.gif

I think anything the AAP says should probably be taken with a HUGE grain of salt. We will continue not to vax, BF on demand and co-sleep. As a species, it is ultimately the formula we are evolved for. I see no reason to conduct a massive experiment on my children's physical and psychological well being because the AAP, and whoever is financially backing them these days, doesn't like it.

ETA: Preventing infant death while co-sleeping is likely as easy as not being intoxicated while co-sleeping.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#18 of 22 Old 10-21-2011, 07:02 AM

The AAP does recommend exclusively nursing for 6 mo's though, gotta give em that!  Not that it's some huge revelation, but at least they're recomending something that actually makes sense and is good for our kids!

#19 of 22 Old 10-21-2011, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingamomma View Post

The AAP does recommend exclusively nursing for 6 mo's though, gotta give em that!  Not that it's some huge revelation, but at least they're recomending something that actually makes sense and is good for our kids!

They also have a very neutral stance on routine infant circumcision. Thank goodness.
lovebeingamomma likes this.
#20 of 22 Old 10-21-2011, 12:17 PM

OT, while they might say breastfeeding for the first 6 months only all pediatricians I have dealt with "order" rice cereal (it is a must, in their words) by 4 months and fruits and veggies no later than 6 months. I currently live in a non-progressive area, and before I always saw military pediatricians, and they most certainly all recommended circumcision, tried to retract at every occasion and pushed solids big time by 4 months. Methinks most AAP members don't hold up to their group's recommendations.

Bokonon likes this.
#21 of 22 Old 10-31-2011, 11:09 PM

Funny because the study about increasing infant deaths with increasing vaxes would tend to go against that theory. The study authors even seem to conclude that SIDS deaths haven't decreased, they're just classed differently & even mention that until the routine & widespread vaccination of infants, there was no SIDS classification because it was so rare. They also mention that while SIDS deaths do occur in unvaccinated babies, they tend to occur in the winter, while SIDS deaths in vaccinated children are largely clustered around the 2 & 4 month shots. http://het.sagepub.com/content/early/2011/05/04/0960327111407644.full.pdf+html

member234098 likes this.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#22 of 22 Old 01-10-2012, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)

Let's not forget the source of education for doctors while they are in medical school.

They are taught about infant nutrition by MD's who are paid consultants with the formula industry. (Ever wonder why you are told in the hospital to nurse every 2-3 hours, when in fact a newborn needs to nurse every 30-90 minutes in the first couple of days, especially the firstborn?)

They are taught about vaccines by MD's who are paid consultants with the vaccine companies.

They are taught about psych medications by MD's who are paid consultants with the pharmaceutical industry.

There is apparently no end to the conflicts of interest.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page