DTap? Please help me know the truth! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-04-2011, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here is where I am: I had determined after hours of reading on "both sides" to delay vaccinating my infant daughter until she was 2 years old, and then going from there, depending on where we were going to be traveling in the world, and on my gleaning more information about the truth, etc. But a recent (within the past two months) outbreak of pertussis in a town less than two hours away has scared me. The children of friends and extended family who live there have had it severely. So at her 2 month checkup yesterday, my husband and I decided to go ahead start the DTaP, especially after the Dr. said that she would begin to be immune immediately. I'd thought that no immunity would occur before the series was complete Dr, told me she'd have 65% immunity after the first shot, then increasing from there.

Now, I'm reading and considering those I know who've had whooping cough in the past. It certainly sounds as if the vaccine isn't even effective! Is there ANY evidence of the childhood immunization for pertussis actually helping? Basic vaccine info websites say that the pertussis vaccine is 80-85% effective. So what does that mean? That vaccinated people are (supposedly) less likely to get it, or that it only "works" in 80-85% of the vaccinated population?
Thankfully, my LO has had no side effects with this dose, she barely cried even at the prick. But I'm very skeptical about continuing the series. I was nervous anyway, and now it seems foolish and irresponsible to take the chance of a negative reaction if there's no medical evidence of the vaccine offering protection. I'd like some sound advice here  - I'm a new mom, seeking to follow the right paths for my child's health, and feeling bound by my own ignorance and confused by the opposing views on vaccinations. eyesroll.gif

#2 of 11 Old 01-07-2012, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

My kids had all the DTaP vaccines.

They all still had pertussis.  It was not a big deal.  

80-85% effective does NOT mean that it protects 80-85% if people who get the vaccine

It means that it is 80-85% more effective than not getting the vaccine.

It all depends on how many people did NOT get the vaccine and still did NOT get pertussis.

If (hypothetically speaking) 18 people out of a hundred did not get the vaccine, and still got pertussis, that means that only 10 out of a hundred people who DID get the vaccine got pertussis. The vaccine protected 80% more people from getting pertussis than no vaccine.

Either way, that would mean at least 90% did not get pertussis, with or without the vaccine.

Now, I could not find any info from the testing phase of the DTaP showing how many people did not get the vaccine and did not get pertussis.  

I did find numbers for flu vaccine effectiveness:  1.4% of those who were vaccinated got the flu. vs 2.7 who did not get the vaccine, resulting in 59% efficacy.

That was a vaccine that we were originally told had over 95% efficacy.

#3 of 11 Old 01-07-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

If (hypothetically speaking) 18 people out of a hundred did not get the vaccine, and still got pertussis, that means that only 10 out of a hundred people who DID get the vaccine got pertussis. The vaccine protected 80% more people from getting pertussis than no vaccine.

This is not really true - it results in reduced clinical symptoms of pertussis, but with milder cases, many instances of pertussis are undiagnosed (or diagnosed as bronchitis); and some cases of parapertussis are misdiagnosed as pertussis. 

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 11 Old 01-07-2012, 07:24 PM

According to this, DTaP is 59-89% effective in preventing pertussis.  Mainstream site.  

http://www.immunizationinfo.org/vaccines/pertussis-whooping-cough

I am glad you baby came through the shot well smile.gif

#5 of 11 Old 01-08-2012, 08:23 AM

#6 of 11 Old 01-08-2012, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miriam View Post

Pertussis has been known in medical circles to be neurotoxic and unreliable since its introduction in 1940; there have been controversies since then in medical and professional journals as to the damage it does to babies.  

The acellular vaccine has been used in the US since 1996, and in Japan since 1970. 

If you get a tetanus shot, you are also getting pertussis and diphtheria. 

My pediatrician did not offer the DTaP (the acellular version) until 2000.  It may have been available before then, but pediatricians were using up old stores for as long as the shelf life was good.  :(

#7 of 11 Old 01-10-2012, 12:58 PM

#8 of 11 Old 01-10-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

My pediatrician did not offer the DTaP (the acellular version) until 2000.  It may have been available before then, but pediatricians were using up old stores for as long as the shelf life was good.  :(

OT, but this was the start of me beginning to question vaccines.

When I learned that they had given my precious baby (all sorts of precious babies) DPT when they knew DaPT was safer but wanted to save money, I was livid.  Cuss.gif

They broke a trust, and their behaviour since has not regained it.

#9 of 11 Old 01-10-2012, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Money is Money Kathy.

#10 of 11 Old 01-12-2012, 05:50 PM

Close to where I live there was a <gasp> outbreak of Pertussis in an elementary school. I was just reading the story this evening on the outbreak where 6 people were confirmed positive cases ~ 23 suspected cases ~ no deaths or serious illnesses resulted from any of the cases and something like 600 people were treated with preventative antibiotics and repeat vaccinations (freak out much?). Get this ~ ALL of the confirmed cases and suspected cases were UTD on vaccinations (including the pertussis vaccine). The story goes on to say that this outbreak is a "good reason to warrant keeping UTD on all vaccinations"...riddle me this ~ for WHAT reason does it warrant keeping UTD on all vaccinations if all of the cases were fully vaccinated and still got it????

My children ~ not vaxed ~ my children ~ healthy as can be! I do believe that WC has been going around here (misdiagnosed) as I have heard and seen MANY friends who have had "bronchitis" or a really bad cold (per the docs) but they are coughing for WEEKS. One friend took her FULLY vaxed 19 month old to the ER room because of the whooping cough noise he was making ~ and guess what? Diagnosed as bronchitis! But it couldn't possibly be WC ~ he is fully vaxed!

Bokonon likes this.

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

#11 of 11 Old 01-16-2012, 10:46 PM

If I remember correctly, DTaP is minimally or completely ineffective in infants until they've gotten at least 3 doses, which puts them at 6 months, when the most dangerous period for whopping cough is past. In addition, the vaccine does not prevent you getting it, it simply makes the symptoms less severe in those who have been vaccinated. Which, not so coincidentally, makes it harder to diagnose and more likely to be spread.

member234098 likes this.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page