Father possibly exposed to pertussis on business trip....advice needed! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-08-2011, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello there fellow mothering peeps, I have a dilemna, possible crisis, on my hands and I'm hoping that someone can give me some sound advice.

I have a 3yr old boy and one baby on the way, in the next two weeks.  My DP is away on a business trip this week.  He just emailed me and mentioned that his boss (and best friend's) son, who is two, has pertussis again.  He has been working with his boss, the kid's dad, closely this week ( like in the same office, at the same desk).  I am waiting to get all of the facts about the duration and severity of child's illness.  

I am really worried here!!  We do not vaccinate but in the beginning we did, and so my 3yr old has had one round of DTAP.  I'm not as worried about him, if he got whooping cough I guess we would just have to deal with it the best we could.  I am very about our tiny babe-to-be.  Pertussis is so much more dangerous among infants.  If DP brought pertussis to our house and infected us I think we would still be infectious when the baby is born.

What should I do? Is it too late for us b/c we have either aleady been exposed or not? Or should I tell DP to go get an adult DTAP vaccine before coming home?   ( I have little problem, really, with a 42 yr old man getting a vaccine).  If he got the vaccine and came home within 24 hrs of that would it make a difference?  He is scheduled to come home Thursday evening, two full days from now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  I am going to call our pediatrician in the morning but Iknow I will be losing sleep tonight. 

Mommy to one beautiful boy, born 9/28/08
#2 of 4 Old 11-08-2011, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Was there a clinical diagnoses/confirmation for pertussis for the boy this time around, or are the drs just assuming he has it again? That would make all the difference in the world as to what to worry about. 

#3 of 4 Old 11-08-2011, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We don't vaccinate, and if I were in your situation, I would make sure I had sodium ascorbate in the house.

#4 of 4 Old 11-09-2011, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

There is alot of assuming going on.

Your DP may not even get it. I mean is his boss coughing or showing any cold like symtoms now? If so Id be a bit more concerned. I suppose he could get a booster if it would make everyone feel better, but that is no guarantee of anything really. Id tell DP regardless to get his hiney on a big ass dose of SA pronto!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page