Religious reasons against flue shot - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-17-2011, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I used the religious exemption to avoid getting the flu shot and now have to write what reasons I have to use the exception. Can anyone provide me specifics as to why it's against any religion?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2011, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Religious Exemptions 

Applicable law has been interpreted to mean that a religious belief is subject to protectioneven though no religious group espouses such beliefs or the fact that the religious group to which the individual professes to belong may not advocate or require such belief. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended Nov. 1, 1980; Part 1605.1-Guidelines on Discrimination Because of Religion. 

Our legal rights are guaranteed by the free exercise clause of the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Recent court decisions have upheld the rights of individuals seeking exemptions from immunizations based upon personal and religious reasons. On the U.S. Supreme Court level in Frazee V. Illinois Dept. of Security, 489 U.S. 829, it was found that a state may not deny an exemption simply because a person is not a member of a formal religious organization. 

In addition, the Supreme Court has noted that nontraditional beliefs, including secular humanism, atheism, and non-theistic faiths, are all "religion" for the purpose of free exercise analysis.

The Supreme Court in Fowler v. Rhode Island, 345 U.S. 67 (1953) held that it was "no business of the courts to say what is a religious practice or activity for one group is not religion under the protection of the First Amendment."

i dont think you have to state the reasoning for your beliefs..you just have to say its against your beliefs and thats all.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing the information! My form says excemption documentation is required. Once I submit the documentation, it goes before a committee and they decide whether to accept it or not. It's really unbelievable to me. This does not feel like a free country anymore. I need a new job asap!

Old 11-19-2011, 05:54 PM

Old 11-19-2011, 11:03 PM

Are you in New York?  That's the hardest state to use any kind of exemption.  W. VA is a little nuts, too.

Have you used an exemption for ALL vaccines or just trying to use it for this one?

Jenn

Old 12-27-2011, 10:51 AM

I just found out that next year my job is making flu shots mandatory.  I am a nurse and work at a nursing home...I'd like to get a different job but its just not feasable at this time. :-(  Anyone know of any way to get around it?  We used to be able to use religion as a reason, but I don't think we can anymore.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:58 PM

If religion is accepted by your state law, you can use a religious waiver.  The nursing home cannot decide what to take and what not.  However, if you use the waiver, they can (and usually will) find another way to force you out.

Jenn

User Tag List