#2 of 17 Old 12-10-2011, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

A vax advertisement. greensad.gif

WhoopingCoughVaccineonMDC.jpg

Really.  Me either.  What is going on here???!!!!  Mods - I would love to know how an ad like this gets through....

Bokonon likes this.
#3 of 17 Old 12-10-2011, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

MDC just isn't MDC anymore. greensad.gif

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#4 of 17 Old 12-10-2011, 05:56 PM

Well, look at it this way.  Them having the ad here is better than having the ad on a mainstream board where those impressionable moms may actually be convinced to vaccinate.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#5 of 17 Old 12-10-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post

Well, look at it this way.  Them having the ad here is better than having the ad on a mainstream board where those impressionable moms may actually be convinced to vaccinate.

except the big pharma company is making money off of us.

#6 of 17 Old 12-10-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swede View Post

except the big pharma company is making money off of us.

But they're not. The companies advertised have to spend money for those advertisements to be there. They only get money if people go and buy their products (or go look at the ads on their page, etc) as a result. It's MDC that's making money off the pharma company. (The dumb ad agency whose computer program thought it would be a good idea to put that ad there... they get money too. But not the pharma company.)

#7 of 17 Old 12-11-2011, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

The ad is one in an ad pool for an ad network, not one Mothering particularly accepted. It was reported yesterday but takes awhile to pinpoint the ad source to get it removed. 

#8 of 17 Old 12-11-2011, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

The ad is one in an ad pool for an ad network, not one Mothering particularly accepted. It was reported yesterday but takes awhile to pinpoint the ad source to get it removed. 

Thanks for replying, I appreciate it.  This seems to happen a lot.  Is there not a team reviewing all ads before they go live? Pretty embarrassing for Mothering and after the many of recent issues you would think someone would be in charge of screening.

swede likes this.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#9 of 17 Old 12-11-2011, 01:02 PM

@ Holly: Not really, that's not how it works (I worked in the industry before being a mom, advertising that is). But as annoying as the ad is, if you want to incur costs for the company (GSK in this case) you keep clicking on the ad. Each click is billed to the company through their ad agency. ;)

I just got a Pediasure ad and I'm sure most moms here aren't too keen on that product either ;) 

#10 of 17 Old 12-11-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post

Yes, only impressionable moms vaccinate.

#11 of 17 Old 12-11-2011, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvah View Post

Yes, only impressionable moms vaccinate.

Seriously? Or is this tongue-in-cheek? Because lots of moms here on MDC that are not "impressionable" selectively/delay certain vaccines. Isn't it more about making good informed choices for our kids, and not just blindly following one doctrine or another? 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#12 of 17 Old 12-11-2011, 07:43 PM

Just chiming in to say that plenty of MDC moms do vaccinate.  My home birthed, cloth diapered, kale loving, no commercial watching, creative, sparkly daughter who was breastfed and slung for more than 2 years is fully vaccinated at this point.  We started off doing them selectively, but we've always known that we would vaccinate our children.  I ate my placenta and we co-slept/sleep too, if that gives me bonus crunch points.  It's really not all or nothing and the attitude that it is brings this place down.   

journeymom and erigeron like this.

Healthcare is a human right!
#13 of 17 Old 12-11-2011, 11:55 PM

I also see a Country Crock ad.  MDC is desperate for advertising cash.

swede likes this.

obstruct livery vehicles

#14 of 17 Old 12-12-2011, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

When I was a kid, I used to call it "Country Crap" lol! That stuff is the worst!

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#15 of 17 Old 12-12-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Seriously? Or is this tongue-in-cheek? Because lots of moms here on MDC that are not "impressionable" selectively/delay certain vaccines. Isn't it more about making good informed choices for our kids, and not just blindly following one doctrine or another? 

It was sarcasm.  I didn't have the time to expound, but statements like "...those impressionable moms may actually be convinced to vaccinate" make my eyes roll out of my head.  Only the educated keep their children vax-free, apparently. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey693 View Post

I also see a Country Crock ad.  MDC is desperate for advertising cash.

I guess everyone has a price!

#16 of 17 Old 12-12-2011, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvah View Post

It was sarcasm.  I didn't have the time to expound, but statements like "...those impressionable moms may actually be convinced to vaccinate" make my eyes roll out of my head.  Only the educated keep their children vax-free, apparently. 

Okay good - me too! 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#17 of 17 Old 12-13-2011, 07:56 PM

Ad programs are more and more personalized based on browser history now. I'm not sure if MDC does this too, but most of the sites I visit now have personalized ads. For instance, I've spent a lot of time lately on sites for airlines and travel blogs in preparation for my travels over the holidays, so I am seeing a lot of ads for rental cars and hotels... even here. If MDC employs the same tactics, the ads would be specific to your browsing and not to MDC. If you have a history of looking up articles about vaccines (say, to back up anti-vax debates on MDC or elsewhere), it would make good business sense to advertise vaccines to people who appear to be questioning them.

If the new methods of advertising intrigue you, you could check out Stephen Baker's The Numerati to learn more. I personally think it's the price of free information via the internet and don't pay too much attention. An ad blocker software could help too, if you find it really obnoxious. Like someone else suggested, better here than elsewhere where people seem to be more educated and can make more informed decisions either way as to whether or not the ads have any validity. :)

Moo.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page