Should we go to a chicken pox party? Is 5 months too young? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-10-2011, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I should probably do some forum searching before posting, but I'm rushed and my two kiddos only give me so long on the computer.winky.gif

I have a 3-year old who is not vaccinated for the chicken pox.  But I've been concerned that he would never have a chance to get the pox since EVERYONE seems to be vaxed.  We just found out some friends of ours who traveled out of state for thanksgiving have a case of the chicken pox!  

I'd be taking my 3-year old over there in a hearbeat, but I'm worried that his 5 month old sister might be too young to "intentionally" expose to the pox.

Thoughts?

Lovin my SAHD DH and 2 kiddos

#2 of 7 Old 12-10-2011, 08:37 PM

A big question is did you have it?  My mother tried to expose me for years (I was nursed until I was 3) and I was never able to catch it probably because she had bad case of it as a kid and I had immunites from her.  I did have my titers checked and I was not immune by my mid 20s.  So if you had them, and are nursing there is a fairly good chance she won't get them heres a link from babycenter sorry just grabbed the first link in from google. 

Done with diapers!!

#3 of 7 Old 12-10-2011, 09:04 PM

My three elder children all got pox one year, I don't remember exactly how many months the youngest was, but he was definitely a baby. I thought I never had it as a child, and I was concerned that I would get it (at 30y.o.), but I chose not to get the vax for myself anyway. I did not get it, but the little guy did, and he was extensively, if not exclusively, nursing at the time. So maybe that isn't exactly an answer, but I hope it offers a little real life perspective. Good luck.

rainbow1284.gifJess, mama to five boys joy.gif

#4 of 7 Old 12-12-2011, 12:08 AM

I wouldn't do it under a year.  DD is 14 months and we're just starting to think about this.

obstruct livery vehicles

#5 of 7 Old 12-12-2011, 04:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

The anecdotal evidence from when chicken pox went through my circle of friends would suggest that the immunities in breastmilk are sufficient protection to prevent catching it from casual contact, but if an older sibling has it, then the younger sibling is going to catch it from them.

#6 of 7 Old 12-12-2011, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I would consider waiting.  Babies and chicken pox are a very difficult combination!  And it's around the holidays, fussy baby and things to do are not fun.

#7 of 7 Old 12-12-2011, 10:19 AM

I had chickenpox as child. I breastfed my children but at 10 weeks old my son caught it from his 2 year old brother. Both were smothered in spots but recovered quickly. In England where i live we don't immunize against chicken pox ever, well not yet!

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page