Can't find an article! & responding to hostility? - Mothering Forums
Vaccinations > Can't find an article! & responding to hostility?
holz's Avatar holz 06:46 PM 12-13-2011

Probably a year or so ago someone on this forum linked to an article- it was a list of reasons why the author chose not to vaccinate- maybe 8-10 reasons? It was sort of from a stance of "there are more reasons than autism" in response to the mainstream belief that non-vaxxers base their decisions on fear of autism and that's it. Anyway, I can't believe I didn't save it and have found myself wishing I had it a lot recently- any leads?

Also- how do you respond when people are completely hostile and closed-minded about non-vaxxing, i.e. "You're an idiot if you don't vax" and basically tell you your child is going to die of polio, or die of rotavirus, and you must hate all the children of the world because you're putting them at risk, and they're going to sue you for everything you've got if their child catches the measles from yours. I've been hearing this a lot lately- not directed at me because I don't normally advertise the medical decisions I make for my family- but I'd like to be able to stand up for people who are getting this abuse for making the decisions they feel are right for their family. I don't feel any reason to go into the science with someone who's not going to be listening anyway... Are there any one-liners you use that could just make a person stop and think?

MyBoysBlue's Avatar MyBoysBlue 12:47 AM 12-14-2011
nia82 07:39 AM 12-14-2011

Don't engage with such people, Ignore and keep your child's status to yourself.

holz's Avatar holz 10:38 AM 12-14-2011

I think it might be- how crazy that I can't remember! Either way, that's a pretty comprehensive list, thank you!

purslaine's Avatar purslaine 08:35 AM 12-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by holz View Post
I've been hearing this a lot lately- not directed at me because I don't normally advertise the medical decisions I make for my family- but I'd like to be able to stand up for people who are getting this abuse for making the decisions they feel are right for their family. I don't feel any reason to go into the science with someone who's not going to be listening anyway... Are there any one-liners you use that could just make a person stop and think?

is this online or in real life?

If it is online, step in if you feel like it.  My position on vaccines has not changed since I started arguing against it - although it has softened somewhat (I have a lot more respect for the selective/delayed position than I used to).  A lot of times, though, arguing online is like this banghead.gif and it is not always a good investment of my time

If it is in real life, I would be careful.  It would be hard to step into an argument on vaccines without revealing your own position.

Who are you hanging around with that is openly hostile to other parents decisions?   Are these people hostile in general or is it just a witch hunt to non-vaxxers?  Are these people you want to spend time around?

member234098's Avatar member234098 02:54 PM 12-17-2011

Tags: Vaccinations
Up