AMA article: Should Participation in Vaccine Clinical Trials be Mandated? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-13-2012, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

http://virtualmentor.ama-assn.org/2012/01/pfor1-1201.html

Wow. That there are doctors out there who think like that scares me. Just the train of thought they lay out in their article is so Orson Welles! If it wasn't in the AMA website, I would have said that's just some hogwash conspiracy believers made up, but this is real. Which makes it... What are those people thinking? How can they ignore informed consent or even the very Oath they swore? I'm glad my doctor doesn't think like that, in fact he'd find that horrible. 

#2 of 5 Old 01-13-2012, 12:42 PM

This is not an opinion piece, so it doesn't mean that there are doctors out there who think like that. It's an ethic discussion in a ethics journal. This is a common type of exercise in ethics- a question is posed and then discussed based on the various ethical principles. It doesn't mean that anyone actually agrees with the question posed. 

#3 of 5 Old 01-13-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

That doesn't make it right. Some things are so bad, they do not merit ethical discussion. This is one of them. Medical experiments or trials without consent do not merit discussion. It's highly unethical. And I shudder at the mere thought that some people find this subject discuss-able. I was lucky enough to be recruited without my consent as a 4 year old to a dental experiment in a communist country. As you can see, I am certainly not in favor of doing the same highly unethical thing to any other living human soul, and my stomach turns that someone would even consider discussing such atrocities. 

lovebeingamomma and BeckyBird like this.
#4 of 5 Old 01-14-2012, 10:15 AM

That anyone thinks forcing someone into a clinical vaccine trial is okay here in America is absolutely horrifying to me. I love how they say that paying participants any more than a minimal amount is unethical, yet possibly forcing others against their will might be okay? Or how they compare it to jury duty? Seriously?? Unbelievable!
#5 of 5 Old 01-23-2012, 09:38 AM

For the record, what they are suggesting is not compulsory participation in vaccination trials. 

Now hear me out.  I am a non -vaxer so don't throw me under the bus.  I just don't like the spread of misinformation.  It takes away from our credibility.  We need our credibility more than than they do.

What they are brainstorming would be similar to the donor registry.  For instance when you apply for or renew your drivers license you would be asked if you want to be put in a database of people who would be interested in participating in vaccination trials.  This what they mean by "mandated choice".  You don't have to participate.  You just have to answer whether or not you want participate or decline.  JUST SAY NO!!!.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page