Vax exemptions and community college - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-16-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My school is requiring the meningitis vax and has this on exemptions:

Quote:

Exceptions to the new law: You do not need to provide proof of meningitis vaccination for the spring 2012 semester under several exceptions.

• You are 30 years of age or older (by the first day of the semester in which you are enrolled).
  • You are enrolled 100 percent in distance education classes. (You must complete the 100 percent distance education affidavit[PDF - 48KB] and fax or email it to your college.)
  • You are enrolled in a continuing education course or program that is less than 360 contact hours or in continuing education corporate training.
  • You are enrolled in one or more dual credit courses taught at a public or private K-12 facility which is not located on a DCCCD campus.
  • You are a DCCCD student who is incarcerated in a Texas prison.

Exemptions: A DCCCD student or the student’s parents or guardians are not required to submit evidence of the bacterial meningitis vaccination if the student, parent or guardian submits one of the following affidavits, based on health and well-being or for reasons of conscience, including religious beliefs. For either of these exemptions, you must submit to the Admissions/Registrar’s Office:

• notarized DCCCD Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination Exemption Form (PDF - 151KB) and one of the following:
    • An affidavit or certificate signed by a physician who is duly registered and licensed to practice medicine in the United States in which it is stated, in the doctor’s opinion, that the vaccination would injure the health and well-being of the student; or
    • An affidavit signed by the student stating that she or he declines to take the vaccination for bacterial meningitis for reasons of conscience, including religious belief. In that situation, the student must obtain a conscientious objection formfrom the Texas Department of State Health Services.

My question is the second part - by Texas exemption laws, is it even legal for the school to require the form AND the DCCCD exemption form? I know that wouldn't be legal for public school through high school (though I'm sure they could request it as an optional form), but I know the laws are often different with college. 

Obviously it's not really a big deal since the form doesn't have any bad stuff - just a basic "I'm not vaxing for reasons of conscience and am including the state form and understand I need it turned in by blah blah blah", but if it's not legal I want to let them know just for the principle of it, ya know.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#2 of 2 Old 01-17-2012, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I cannot imagine it is illegal to require you to sign a form stating your exemption...it would be illegal for them not to allow the exemption since they receive government monies. I actually printed out my own form regarding our exemption and provided it to my son's school (DS is in kindergarten this year). I have also provided same form to my pediatrician and to the preschool I used for DS1 and now for DS2.

Do you object to anything on the form?

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page