Adopting newborn and vaccinations: what would you do? or BTDT - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2012, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're in the process of waiting to be matched with a birth mother for an open adoption. With DS (4 1/2 and currently completely unvaxed) he was exclusively breastfed and I knew my sexual history, which tipped the scales against all vaccinations to this point (but we are considering DTAP as he nears school age). As we're anticipating an adopted newborn, however, I'm having to reevaluate. The new baby will (obviously) not be exclusively breastfed, although I'm hoping to be able to produce some breastmilk (but worst case scenario, no breastmilk available). Also, the birth mom's sexual history may be unknown/unreliable (which affects Hep B at the least).

So, I'm looking for advice and experience: has anyone gone through this and what did you decide? So much of my biological DS's non-vaccination was based on the fact that he received so many advantages via my breastmilk. I'm really thrown for a loop here. Plus, we'll be forced to comply with a dr's advice until the adoption is final (but hopefully we'll have a delayed schedule approved by our pediatrician for whatever we end up deciding).

Married to my wonderful DH; Mama to DS born 6-07 and 4 in heaven brokenheart.gif1-06 (7 weeks) brokenheart.gif1-10 (6 weeks) and our twins 5-11, brokenheart.gifone sweet boy (17 weeks) and brokenheart.gifone precious baby girl (18 1/2 weeks).

In the middle of our adoption journey and are excitedly waiting to get matched with a birth mom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 12:45 PM

I suppose in this instance, I would worry less about prenatal exposure (since vaccines can't help with that anyway) and evaluate the potential risk/potential benefit ratio. You mentioned that nursing may not be a possibility, but what about donor milk? Will you travel frequently? Will your LO go to daycare or spend a lot of time with other children? Of course, to the extent possible, maybe try to get input on the parents' allergies and sensitivities, etc.

Good luck, an dI hope you get your baby soon!! orngbiggrin.gif

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Old 01-25-2012, 12:18 AM

Can you get mom's hep B bloodwork? The only VPDs the baby might be at more risk from, due to no breastfeeding, is Hib/Pneumococcal.  Will you have the baby in daycare at all?

mom to 4 kids, ages 20 mos to 11 years

Old 01-25-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

No daycare at all. I remember that decreased the likelihood of several vaccine related diseases along with breastmilk. I haven't pulled out my books yet to verify which specific ones breastmilk helped with, I kind of just remember it was an overall factor in reduced likelihood of the diseases. I must be remembering wrong! Not hard to believe after 3 years of not much research.

As far as the Mom's bloodwork, we won't know until we get matched and form a relationship with her. I'm not sure how much access we'll have to her medical records, but I know we'll get as complete info about her medical history for the sake of our adopted child.

I'm just trying to start getting a handle on the issue (like I said I haven't pulled out my books to re-read them yet either). Thanks for your replies!

Married to my wonderful DH; Mama to DS born 6-07 and 4 in heaven brokenheart.gif1-06 (7 weeks) brokenheart.gif1-10 (6 weeks) and our twins 5-11, brokenheart.gifone sweet boy (17 weeks) and brokenheart.gifone precious baby girl (18 1/2 weeks).

In the middle of our adoption journey and are excitedly waiting to get matched with a birth mom

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List