Wakefield - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-24-2012, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Forgive me if this is redundant, but I just read this today and thought others might benefit.  The wakefield case is one of the most current and prominent pieces of "anti-vaccine propaganda", but after reading his book "Callous Disregard" and this article, I am convinced of Wakefield's innocence.  There is also an interview with Dr. Wakefield in which he details the oversights in the case made against him.  I have found it necessary to be extremely informed on this case because so many people bring it up as evidence that claims of an autism link to the MMR vaccine are nonsense.  Wakefield never said that MMR causes autism, but he studied the relationship between GI problems in kids with autism and suggested that the origin of the problem was the MMR vaccine.  He only conducted a case study (does not require a control group)  and called for further research.  28 other studies have reproduced his results.  You will be able to see for yourself in the article, so I'll leave it at that.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/01/24/new-evidence-refutes-fraud-findings-in-dr-wakefield-case.aspx

The doctor who first noticed the link between thalidomide and birth defects lost his license, too.  Anyone willing to end his/her career for the sake of helping children is worth paying attention to.    

BeckyBird likes this.
#2 of 8 Old 01-25-2012, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

While I certainly have no interest in sparking a wakefield debate on this thread (it has been done NUMEROUS times already on these boards!), I agree with you. His book answers many questions and he backs it up with proof that much of what he has been accused of is unsubstantiated.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 8 Old 01-25-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

I have no interest in debating the issue either.  I thought the link might be helpful to those beginning to research the topic.

#4 of 8 Old 01-25-2012, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by careybaldwin02 View Post

The doctor who first noticed the link between thalidomide and birth defects lost his license, too.  Anyone willing to end his/her career for the sake of helping children is worth paying attention to.    

I had NO idea about this!  So I looked it up, and you're right.  So here is a link: http://www.vaccinetruth.org/thalidomide.htm

and the relevant information:

"In April 1961 Australian Dr W.G. McBride at Crown Street Women's Hospital, Sydney, notified the representatives of Distillers in Australia about his suspicions of the link between Distavel (Thalidomide) and malformations: Distillers in England claim they never received the written report. Sales promotion of the drug was stepped up and a quarter of a million leaflets distributed saying Thalidomide is 'Harmless even over a long period of use' and 'completely harmless even for infants'.
    On 4 May 1961 Dr McBride reported further malformations due to Thalidomide and succeeded in convincing his superiors that the drug must be withdrawn from use in the hospital. In October and November 1961 Dr McBride reported further malformed babies.
    On 27 November 1961 Thalidomide was withdrawn from the British market. On 16 December 1961 Dr McBride's observations were published in the Lancet, and in the Australian Medical Journal on December 23. On 6 January and 3 February 1962, Prof. Widijung Lenz who had warned against Thalidomide in Germany published evidence of deformities in Lancet.
    Only when the evidence was overwhelming did Chemie Grünenthal finally take Contergan (Thalidomide) off the market. However, in other countries around the world including Brazil, Italy, Japan, Sweden and Canada, drugs containing thalidomide were not withdrawn until a year or longer after Grünenthal's withdrawal of the drug.[2]
    By the time the drug was banned, more than 10,000 children had been born with major thalidomide-related problems. A common pattern of limb deformities, termed phocomelia from the Greek word for 'seal limbs', emerged including shortening or missing arms with hands extending from the shoulders, absence of the thumb and the adjoining bone in the lower arm and similar problems with the lower extremities. The drug also caused abnormalities in the eyes, ears, heart, genitals, kidneys, digestive tract (including the lips and mouth), and nervous system."

Pretty shocking.  I had no idea  that there were so many--10,000 children!

As a passing observation, it should be noted that on 22 June 1971 Australian Dr William McBride (see (ix) above) was invited to Paris by the Institut de la Vie where 18 Nobel Prize winners gathered to pay tribute to the man who alerted the world to the dangers of Thalidomide. In a ceremony he was presented with a gold medal and a prize of $40,000 (with which he established an institute for study of the first 41 weeks of life). In 1969 he was made a Commander of the British Empire and in 1977 awarded the Order of Australia.
    In 1972 after being named Father of the Year, Dr McBride created another international furore by announcing that Imipramine, a widely-used anti-depressant, caused birth deformities (The Australian Drug Evaluation Committee rejected the evidence). In 1980 turning his attention to the Debendox anti-nausea drug produced by Merrel Dow he appeared as an expert witness for the U.S. women who had children with birth defects and were sueing the manufacturer. The drug was subsequently removed from the market. There were many Debendox victims in Australia and New Zealand. Then McBride said his research showed that Debendox was also responsible for causing mental retardation.
    On 12 December 1987 McBride was accused of scientific fraud, of manoeuvring the results of the Debendox experiments. In November 1988 he was found guilty by a committee of inquiry and appealed against the decision. In an interview with Australian Good Weekend,[19] he accused the N.S.W. Health Department of being a 'Gestapo State' and said 'There's big money behind this', adding 'You know, big business is just as vicious as the CIA. Because I've given evidence for the kids in America... The drug companies have been known to resort to drastic methods to discredit those who appear in court against them'.
    In view of how McBride was treated after exposing yet more drug side-effects, it is hardly surprising that physicians are unwilling to do anything against the tide of conventional established thought.

The parallels with Wakefield are obvious.

#5 of 8 Old 01-25-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for posting that information, it fills in some of the details for me.

#6 of 8 Old 01-25-2012, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Oh I wasn't thinking that you were looking to debate - sorry if that is what came across. I put that there as a disclaimer really because I have found whenever something about wakefiled is posted, it sparks some heated debate and I didn;t want to get drawn into anything by any provax posters!! It is a helpful link and i hope those just starting out with their research would actually go so far as to read his book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by careybaldwin02 View Post

I have no interest in debating the issue either.  I thought the link might be helpful to those beginning to research the topic.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#7 of 8 Old 01-25-2012, 12:52 PM

I'm glad you said that.  I see how my post could have turned into a debate and it's wise to shut it down before it starts!  I'm sure I've had similar experiences as you in regards to this topic.  It can spin out of control pretty quickly!  Thanks.

#8 of 8 Old 01-25-2012, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the book recommendation.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page