Claiming Religious Exemption (in Oregon) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-05-2012, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

My almost 4 year old started preschool in the fall.  She is partially vaccinated - we have decided to take things slowly and only do 1 or 2 vaccines at each of her well child visits.  So she is "behind" according to the vaccine schedule, of course.  At the beginning of the year, I submitted a form listing her vaccines up to now, and claiming a religious exemption, which is basically, in Oregon, a check box and a signature on a form.  Oregon defines "religion" as "any system of beliefs, practices or ethical values."  Oregon also uses a tracking system where the doctor reports the vaccines given to the state, and then the state receives enrollment information from the schools and then generates a letter to parents of children who are missing vaccines.  So anyway, we received said letter, and I checked with the school director to see if she still had our exemption form on file, and I'm waiting to hear back.  In the meantime, I am wondering if it will pose a problem if we have our daughter given another immunization at her 4 year old visit.  Will that nullify our "religious exemption"? (I am not religious, but my "system of ethical values" makes me opposed to the routine schedule, and I needed the exemption to get her enrolled).  So will they question us as to why our "religion" has changed?

Thanks, and hope it's not as clear as mud!

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 01:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

It should be fine. Read this brochure. 

http://public.health.oregon.gov/PreventionWellness/VaccinesImmunization/GettingImmunized/Documents/SchRelExemtBrch.pdf

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List