Tetanus Risk: Immune Globulin Yes or No? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 02-21-2012, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKingdom View Post

TIG is not a vaccine, anymore than rhogham is.

Because you say so?  I guess you'd better tell the medical dictionary editors, the chemists and researchers who work on these "non-vaccines," then, as well as the patent offices who grant patents for these treatments, defining them as "vaccines."

#32 of 48 Old 02-21-2012, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You know what?  Yes, because I say so. It's not a vaccine. It does not induce an antibody response. It is a suspension of antibodies. It is totally different than a vaccine!

#33 of 48 Old 02-21-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Seriously, people? Seriously? Can we please quit the bickering?

Thanks to those FEW of you who actually answered my question. I appreciate it. :)

#34 of 48 Old 02-21-2012, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

It's not bickering.  It's actually interesting.  Not something I think about often but interesting. 

#35 of 48 Old 02-21-2012, 11:45 AM

The word vaccine is a dirty word around here.  I'm beginning to wonder if I can use it as an insult.

#36 of 48 Old 02-21-2012, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasiya View Post

Seriously, people? Seriously? Can we please quit the bickering?

Thanks to those FEW of you who actually answered my question. I appreciate it. :)

This isn't really bickering. This is a fundamental misunderstanding of how vaccines work. Immunoglobulins are a form of passive immunity. They do not provoke an immune response. This is like saying breastmilk is actually a vaccine because it contains maternal antibodies that confer passive immunity on the baby. TIG is not a vaccine. Synagis is not a vaccine.

Taximom, you're quoting definitions without understanding what they mean.

alegna likes this.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#37 of 48 Old 02-21-2012, 12:04 PM

The difference between antigens and antibodies.

http://www.scienceclarified.com/Al-As/Antibody-and-Antigen.html

TIG is an antibody.  It is not a vaccine, and it does not contain antigenic proteins.

#38 of 48 Old 02-21-2012, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKingdom View Post

TIG is not a vaccine, anymore than rhogham is.

Because you say so?  I guess you'd better tell the medical dictionary editors, the chemists and researchers who work on these "non-vaccines," then, as well as the patent offices who grant patents for these treatments, defining them as "vaccines."

I have actually searched for this and I couldn't find anywhere that called TIG a vaccine. I have also explained several times why it doesn't meet the criteria for a vaccine, under the definition you provided.

OP, I apologise for derailing your thread but I do consider this important. If you feel your original question wasn't answered and that this discussion is preventing it I am happy to open a new thread.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#39 of 48 Old 02-21-2012, 01:02 PM

She said her question was answered.  I think you're good to continue. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

I have actually searched for this and I couldn't find anywhere that called TIG a vaccine. I have also explained several times why it doesn't meet the criteria for a vaccine, under the definition you provided.

OP, I apologise for derailing your thread but I do consider this important. If you feel your original question wasn't answered and that this discussion is preventing it I am happy to open a new thread.

#40 of 48 Old 02-21-2012, 01:09 PM

I haven't really found anywhere saying tig is a vax either. Here is the insert for one tig brand:

http://www.talecris-pi.info/inserts/hypertet.pdf

It does not refer to it anywhere as a vax, although it does call it a "passive immunization" as opposed to an "active immunization" - a vax.

I guess there are other immune globulin treatments as well - like for Rabies? what else? just outta curiousity?

I also checked the FDA list of approved vaccines in the US and tig is not listed there.

#41 of 48 Old 02-21-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmommy View Post

I haven't really found anywhere saying tig is a vax either. Here is the insert for one tig brand:

http://www.talecris-pi.info/inserts/hypertet.pdf

It does not refer to it anywhere as a vax, although it does call it a "passive immunization" as opposed to an "active immunization" - a vax.

I guess there are other immune globulin treatments as well - like for Rabies? what else? just outta curiousity?

I also checked the FDA list of approved vaccines in the US and tig is not listed there.

Varicella and measles, off the top of my head.
#42 of 48 Old 02-22-2012, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

There's a lot, actually.

Here's an Aetna bulletin with information on a lot of immunoglobulin treatments (and, of course, when they'll pay for them)

http://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/500_599/0544.html

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#43 of 48 Old 02-27-2012, 07:43 AM

Would TIG be indicated for a shallow cat bite (indoor cat) in a child who received one dtap?

#44 of 48 Old 02-27-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nia82 View Post

Would TIG be indicated for a shallow cat bite (indoor cat) in a child who received one dtap?

Not IMO...but that is just me? Did the wound bleed at all? Did it get cleaned? Is it infected? Have you read/researched the numbers of tetanus cases? I think it is something like 90% of US cases were in people over 40 years of age (out of something like 100 cases)...I will see if I can find the link...but no, if it were me and my children...I wouldn't even think about it.

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

#45 of 48 Old 02-27-2012, 08:16 PM

Thanks loki! I actually had the NP check it out and she didn't think tetanus would be a worry at all. It did bleed a little and was disinfected a little later (DH was watching DS and didn't think much of it). It's been 24h and the wound isn't raised nor shows any other signs of infection. 

#46 of 48 Old 03-01-2012, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, it was bickering.

Furthermore, it was offensive to me as the OP who was asking a serious question on behalf of my child who I was concerned for, to have the entire thread spill into an argument over what is and what is not a vaccine. IF any of those involved in the argument had bothered to answer my question, which was the intent of this thread, I wouldn't have been so upset. But to just come in and start arguing back and forth, changing THE ENTIRE SUBJECT MATTER of my thread really insulted me.

We are supposed to be able to come here for information and support, and most of what I received in reply was something I never asked about to begin with.

#47 of 48 Old 03-01-2012, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I'm sorry for offending you. I did actually consider my first post in this thread an answer to your question, I also apologise if it wasn't useful to you.

Edited because I didn't actually write what I meant.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#48 of 48 Old 03-01-2012, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
My apologies to Anastasiya.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page