Researching the Chicken Pox (Varicella) vaccination - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 60 Old 04-15-2012, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Stik…..a few mainstream articles for you on the shingles/ CP vaccine connection.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/08/16/generation-at-risk/

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/03/health/03vaccine.html

http://www.news-medical.net/news/2005/09/01/12896.aspx   (I have never heard of this site - but at a cursory glance it looks mainstream).

This one is quite interesting - it states the cases of shingles has doubled (CDC findings) and muses on why:

http://www.webmd.com/vaccines/features/shingles-chickenpox?page=2

#32 of 60 Old 04-15-2012, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by varl View Post

(Disclosure: no autism in my family but I've read the studies and question the US vaccine schedule.  My kids are all vaccinated against chicken pox.  Two have had breakthrough cases, or so the doctor determined based on a few red spots and a fever.  Another was dx'd with shingles as a young adult.)

And how do you feel about that since your kids were vaxed and got them anyway? Has it made you think any further on the subject of vaccinating for chicken pox?  Do you think your childrens' immunity to CP is compromised from vaccinating and they got it anyway?  Was the child who was dx'd with shingles vaccinated for CP/or got CP naturally?

#33 of 60 Old 04-15-2012, 02:45 PM

eh. DD just got over roseola about a week ago. If I were woh I would've had to take a few days off and maybe lost income/employment... isn't that the standard reason for CP vax??? $$$$$?

I guess maybe sometime there has been fatality from roseola with seizures or aspirin and reyes?? Where's the vax for this one?

I'm sure after someone makes the vax they will invest to appropriately market it (scare campaign it) too. Or if that fails, heck we can just point to the $$$ parents will lose the economy by days off of work, again.

Hi stik... got into rhogam on birth boards and decided to stop over here after?  smile.gif

AnnaR likes this.
#34 of 60 Old 04-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Banned

I hadn't been by in a while.  I wanted to see what was up.  And yeah, there was Rhogam.  I won't be here long.  I have another article to write.  

#35 of 60 Old 04-16-2012, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)

As I mentioned in another thread I love statistics. So I downloaded the 2011 VAERS (Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System). The important thing to remember with this is that any event can be reported which may possibly be linked to a recent vaccine. So not all of there may actually be related to the vaccine (as in a death during chicken pox - it could be a coincidence).

The CDC has an explanation of this and the importance of monitoring vaccine safety here: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/Vaccine_Monitoring/Index.html 

Anyway the 2011 data includes 255,68 reports of reactions, which include 173 deaths (for all vaccines, not just varicella). Very sad for each and everyone of those families. But we need to know how many total vaccines were given in 2011 to put this in perspective. This I'm not as sure how to get, but I can estimate. If we just take babies (FYI 73 of the deaths were of older people, and 29 had no age reported), then in 2010 4 million babies were born in the USA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_United_States), so assume it's similar in 2011, and assuming a 5% rate of vaccination refusal (which I think might be a bit high - I'm not sure) and the normal schedule (http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents/downloads/parent-ver-sch-0-6yrs.pdf )- which at a quick count has 23 shots in the first year - that's around 100 million vaccinations for children under 1 in the USA each year. And 100 deaths (including those with no age reported to give an upper estimate). So that looks like in 1 in a million vaccines given to babies the child dies soon after getting the shot (either as a direct result of the vaccine, or due to some other complicating cause). Ie. for each vaccine your child gets there is a 1 in a million chance of a serious complication leading to death (or a random death) shortly after. 

We could compare this to car crash fatalities. This data: http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx says that in 2009 110 people died per million of the population in car crashes. So that's a 110 in a million chance of any given person in the US dying in a given year in a car crash. That's 100 times more likely than a death resulting from a childhood vaccination. 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#36 of 60 Old 04-16-2012, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

As I mentioned in another thread I love statistics. So I downloaded the 2011 VAERS (Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System). The important thing to remember with this is that any event can be reported which may possibly be linked to a recent vaccine. So not all of there may actually be related to the vaccine (as in a death during chicken pox - it could be a coincidence).

The CDC has an explanation of this and the importance of monitoring vaccine safety here: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/Vaccine_Monitoring/Index.html 

Anyway the 2011 data includes 255,68 reports of reactions, which include 173 deaths (for all vaccines, not just varicella). Very sad for each and everyone of those families. But we need to know how many total vaccines were given in 2011 to put this in perspective. This I'm not as sure how to get, but I can estimate. If we just take babies (FYI 73 of the deaths were of older people, and 29 had no age reported), then in 2010 4 million babies were born in the USA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_United_States), so assume it's similar in 2011, and assuming a 5% rate of vaccination refusal (which I think might be a bit high - I'm not sure) and the normal schedule (http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents/downloads/parent-ver-sch-0-6yrs.pdf )- which at a quick count has 23 shots in the first year - that's around 100 million vaccinations for children under 1 in the USA each year. And 100 deaths (including those with no age reported to give an upper estimate). So that looks like in 1 in a million vaccines given to babies the child dies soon after getting the shot (either as a direct result of the vaccine, or due to some other complicating cause). Ie. for each vaccine your child gets there is a 1 in a million chance of a serious complication leading to death (or a random death) shortly after. 

We could compare this to car crash fatalities. This data: http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx says that in 2009 110 people died per million of the population in car crashes. So that's a 110 in a million chance of any given person in the US dying in a given year in a car crash. That's 100 times more likely than a death resulting from a childhood vaccination. 

But even car crashes can cause disability for life, just as an adverse reaction to a vaccine can do.....bad comparison.  I have both a husband disabled for life from a car crash, and  a son who will suffer with his vax injuries for the rest of his life too...You could also compare vax rates to children murdered by family members, children falling out windows and dying, or anything else you deem worthy to compare to vaccinating.  Accidents can maim and kill, just like vaccines have the potential to do and have just as much or more of a chance, imo,  because vaccine injuries are hushed up...car crash injuries are not.  

#37 of 60 Old 04-16-2012, 06:03 AM

I like stats too. When they exist and can be reasonably trusted. Although, sometimes I still make decisions against the stats for other reasons.

But what do we do when the only stats that exist are industry created? Blind trust?

It's funny how any other medical procedure, the potential side effects are much more well accepted and sometimes actually presented to the patient. Vax? we have no clue... and doesn't look like that is going to chance anytime soon.

purslaine likes this.
#38 of 60 Old 04-16-2012, 06:51 AM
Banned

VAERS is not industry created.
#39 of 60 Old 04-16-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stik View Post

VAERS is not industry created.

Nope, but also can't be treated as "trustable" stats, as anyone can report anything, right? 

In this great argument, any stat, viewpoint, anecdote, "science" or "evidence" from anyone other than Paul Offit/cdc/pharma company is dismissed as biased, ridiculous, not scientific, or from a dr/phd/hcp/researcher either not qualified or crazy. 

It's kinda a pointless argument, both sides dislike and will not trust the "evidence" or "stats" of the other, WHEN stats, numbers, or studies even exist...

BeckyBird likes this.
#40 of 60 Old 04-16-2012, 07:23 AM
Banned

All stats have limitations. While I don't fully trust VAERS, prosciencemum provided an excellent demonstration of how to use numbers that may be exaggerated to form a good estimate of the upper ranges of frequency of an issue.
#41 of 60 Old 04-16-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stik View Post

All stats have limitations. While I don't fully trust VAERS, prosciencemum provided an excellent demonstration of how to use numbers that may be exaggerated to form a good estimate of the upper ranges of frequency of an issue.

Yeah but that's your biased assumption that VAERS is exaggerated and would form upper ranges. Some other biased people around here would believe VAERS doesn't even begin to show lower range of frequency.... shrug.gif

I don't see how vaers is useful at all, maybe only in the argument that perhaps vax reactions really DO exist. It's self-reported right? How many people assume their dr will report? How many people believe vax reactions aren't even possible or are advised that what is happening to their kid is not a real reaction but something else? What about long term potential consequences that are not easily identifiable reactions? Oh yeah and then throw in the reactions about turning green or the hulk... It's hard to play numbers games when all the numbers suck.

Taximom5 likes this.
#42 of 60 Old 04-16-2012, 08:14 AM
Banned

IMO, the reports of deaths are least likely to be undercounted in VAERS. Reactions are probably undercounted because people don't always report stuff like that, but medical professionals and families are both more likely to report a death, even if there isn't conclusive proof it's vax related.
#43 of 60 Old 04-16-2012, 08:30 AM

Ok, even if I buy that, which I don't... so what? the risk of death in motor vehicle accident is probably pretty high compared to a lot of things... 

there are lots of other reactions/health concerns involved in the vax argument. We can't determine the true frequency of reactions or longterm consquences. We don't even know the true safety of adjuvants. Some of the safety issues are pretty much impossible to study since true placebo is impossible. Most of the numbers in this argument are pretty crappy. If it were an extremely clear and uncorrupted statistic of x vs y maybe so many people wouldn't struggle in making vax decisions. 

In regards to cp, we don't really know it's safety, reaction rate, longterm possible health issues, how long the vax will last, it's relation to Shingles, etc.

purslaine and Taximom5 like this.
#44 of 60 Old 04-17-2012, 02:41 AM

The whole idea of the chickenpox vaccine is not only to protect & prevent the morbidity & mortality of chickenpox but also to prevent shingles at a later date & it's associated post-herpetic neuralgia.

The oft -quoted improvement in nutrition & knowledge of health issues may well mean more cases of shingles are being reported but it's drawing a very long bow to say that it's related to varicella immunisation.

To the original poster, here in Australia , varicella is given as a one- off immunisation at 18 months & no booster .

I think if you look at statistics you're more likely to die or be injured or have severe disabling long -term pain in later life if you get chickenpox or shingles , than come to harm form the vaccine .

Here in NSW  about 10 children every year die of chickenpox or get encephalitis from it .

( personal comment from Prof  David Isaacs head of Infectious Diseases , Westmead Childrens Hospital ) 

#45 of 60 Old 04-17-2012, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

http://www.nvic.org/nvic-archives/pressrelease/pressrelease9132000.aspx

From September, 2000:

"In the VAERS data made public today, it was reported that VAERS had received 67.5 adverse event reports per 100,000 doses of chicken pox vaccine sold between March 1995 and July 1998 for a total of 6,574 reports. 82 percent of the adverse event cases occurred in individuals who received chicken pox vaccine only. Admitting that underreporting made the figures "highly variable fractions of actual event numbers," the authors revealed that approximately 4 percent of cases (about 1 in 33,000 doses) were serious, including shock, convulsions, encephalitis, thrombocytopenia and 14 deaths. 

The VAERS data has lead to the addition of 17 adverse events to the manufacturer's product label since the vaccine was licensed for use in 1995, including secondary bacterial infections (cellulitis), secondary transmission (infection of close contacts), transverse myelitis, Guillain Barre syndrome and herpes zoster (shingles)."

http://www.know-vaccines.org/PDF/VaricellaVAERS.pdf

"Varicella vaccination is generally considered safe but there are usually no prescreening tests to determine whether an adverse reaction is likely to occur. The literature contains a surprising number of adverse reactions following varicella vaccination including vaccine-strain herpes-zoster (HZ) in children and adults."

http://www.medalerts.org/vaersdb/findfield.php

51,765 adverse events from varicella vaccine

Bokonon likes this.
#46 of 60 Old 04-18-2012, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Taximom - thanks for the quote. Taking it at face value, that suggests 14 deaths from the CP vaccine in 1995-1998, compared to roughly 150 deaths in children (under 19) in the same time frame from CP itself (from the link I posted earlier in the thread). So it looks like a child in 1995-1998 was about 10 times more likely to die from the disease than the vaccine..... 

And yes I realise this ignores series and mild reactions other than death. But it's the worst case scenario.

My point with the car accident statistic was that even normal every day activities contain some risk, so we cannot expect the vaccination risk to be zero. 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#47 of 60 Old 04-18-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:

My point with the car accident statistic was that even normal every day activities contain some risk, so we cannot expect the vaccination risk to be zero. 

This is true.  Yet, the activities we do that carry risk often have a gain.  I am about to get in a car, go to breakfast, then to work.  Reward:  a meal out (no dishes!) and money to increase quality of life.

Vaccines often carry very little reward.  The chances of catching diptheria, for example, are close to nil.  The reward might be (might - as other factors play into declining diseases other than herd immunity) be contributing to herd immunity.  Personally, I am uncomfortable vaccinating a child for herd immunity issues alone - I do not think children should be put in a position where they might  "take one for the team."  You want to do it as an adult - knock yourself out.

I also wonder if the majority of children that did die from CP had other health issues?  In that case the stats on death are a  little skewed - what are the chances of a healthy child dying of CP?  Perhaps it should be children who have health issues that should receive the vaccine - as opposed to kids en masse?

Lastly, vaccinating your child against CP raises (or might raise - lots of mainstream minds thinks it does) the chance of shingles in the rest of the population for the next generation or so.  Lowered CP outbreaks= higher shingles in people who have already had CP.  It is not a good trade off IMHO.  To each there own, though!   Just don't give the varicella vax at the same time as an MMR!  (If you are unclear why - I will find the CDC link for you).

#48 of 60 Old 04-18-2012, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Vaccines often carry very little reward.  The chances of catching diptheria, for example, are close to nil.  The reward might be (might - as other factors play into declining diseases other than herd immunity) be contributing to herd immunity.  Personally, i am uncomfortable vaccinating a child for herd immunity issues alone - I do not think children should be put in a position where they might  "taking one for the team>".  You want to do it as an adult - knock yourself out.

This is true now because vaccinations against these diseases are widespread. However if everyone stopped vaccinating the chance of getting diptheria, and other vaccine preventable diseases would increase significantly. 

I argue vaccinating does have a reward, just an often hidden one. Like we all know the rewards of eating better and exercising (ie. you live longer on average) and yet many would prefer to have a chocolate bar and get that reward (tastes good) right now.

#49 of 60 Old 04-18-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:

Taximom - thanks for the quote. Taking it at face value, that suggests 14 deaths from the CP vaccine in 1995-1998, compared to roughly 150 deaths in children (under 19) in the same time frame from CP itself (from the link I posted earlier in the thread). So it looks like a child in 1995-1998 was about 10 times more likely to die from the disease than the vaccine..... 

And yes I realise this ignores series and mild reactions other than death. But it's the worst case scenario.

I might agree with you if I believed that all or even most vaccine-related deaths were reported to VAERS. You and I know that not only are they NOT reported, they are usually not even recognized as being vaccine-related.

Remember, most doctors and nurses are unaware that severe reactions to vaccines are known to occur up to 35 days post-vaccination--and we don't even know about autoimmune manifestations of reactions that might occur even later. Those autoimmune reactions can be extremely severe.  THere's also the risk of vaccine-induced brain damage; when the damage is severe, there are some who would argue that that is a fate worse than death.

A friend of mine just passed her certification test as a nurse-practitioner.  She was taught that patients who are considered high-risk for vaccine reaction should be monitored--for 30 minutes post-shot.  30 minutes.  

#50 of 60 Old 04-18-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:

This is true now because vaccinations against these diseases are widespread. However if everyone stopped vaccinating the chance of getting diptheria, and other vaccine preventable diseases would increase significantly. 

I argue vaccinating does have a reward, just an often hidden one. Like we all know the rewards of eating better and exercising (ie. you live longer on average) and yet many would prefer to have a chocolate bar and get that reward (tastes good) right now.

You're oversimplifying.  Some diseases waned and/or disappeared before vaccination.  Others were relabeled, so that we really don't know to what extent the vaccine protected from the disease.  Polio is a good example: incidence took a major downturn BEFORE the vaccine was introduced.  AFTER the vaccine was introduced, the incidence of polio actually went UP.  Then the diagnostic criteria for polio changed; cases that would have been diagnosed as polio were now diagnosed as acute demyelinating paralysis.  Not surprisingly, the official rate of polio eventually went down, and the rate of ADP went way up.

We may see the same muddying of the waters with the change in diagnostic criteria for autism.

As for your statement that "vaccinating does have a reward," that is only true for those who don't have a serious reaction.

There was no reward for me or for my children, but there sure as heck was a punishment.  I'm not willing to shoulder that punishment "for the sake of the herd" EVER again, nor would I ever had done so had I been told of the risks.  I certainly wouldn't ask anyone else to risk that kind of punishment, not even to protect me as a member of the supposed "herd." 

Bokonon and Slmommy like this.
#51 of 60 Old 04-18-2012, 11:13 AM

Just was reading the insert for Varivax... http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/v/varivax/varivax_pi.pdf

Vaccine recipients should avoid use  of salicylates for 6 weeks after vaccination with VARIVAX as Reye's syndrome has been reported following the use of salicylates during natural varicella infection (see CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY, Reye's Syndrome).

Do they make sure parents know this after vaccination? Never having gotten it, I don't know?

Post-marketing experience suggests that transmission of vaccine virus may occur rarely between healthy vaccinees who develop a varicella-like rash  and healthy susceptible contacts. Transmission of vaccine virus from a mother who did not develop a varicella-like rash to her newborn infant has also been 
reported. Therefore, vaccine recipients should attempt to avoid, whenever possible,  close association with susceptible high-risk individuals for up to six weeks.

So with that logic...  cp vaxed kids should be kept away from newborns and anyone with health issues for at least 6 weeks. Are people made to understand that?

For adult women:

Pregnancy should be avoided for three months following vaccination. 

This line always jumps at me, but I think Merck puts it in all their products' info

VARIVAX has not been evaluated for its carcinogenic or mutagenic potential, or its potential to impair fertility

Ingredients::

Each 0.5 mL dose contains the following: a minimum of 1350 PFU (plaque forming units) of Oka/Merck varicella virus when reconstituted and stored at room temperature for 30 minutes, approximately 25 mg of sucrose, 12.5 mg hydrolyzed gelatin, 3.2 mg sodium chloride, 0.5 mg monosodium L-glutamate, 0.45 mg of sodium phosphate dibasic, 0.08 mg of potassium phosphate monobasic, 0.08 mg of potassium chloride; residual components of MRC-5 cells including DNA and protein; and trace quantities of sodium phosphate monobasic, EDTA, neomycin, and fetal bovine serum. 

So anyone with moral issues about the whole aborted fetus thing might want to skip. (cell line of mrc-5). 

The idea of injecting your kid with human dna freaks me out, even more than animal products... I can't totally explain the logic, that's just my initial reaction. 

Personally there are too many questions around this vax and the ingredients/reactions just don't weigh up for me against the risk of wild cp. I'm hoping DD will get wild cp.

#52 of 60 Old 04-24-2012, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

As for your statement that "vaccinating does have a reward," that is only true for those who don't have a serious reaction.

There was no reward for me or for my children, but there sure as heck was a punishment.  I'm not willing to shoulder that punishment "for the sake of the herd" EVER again, nor would I ever had done so had I been told of the risks.  I certainly wouldn't ask anyone else to risk that kind of punishment, not even to protect me as a member of the supposed "herd." 

Absolutely. It is for children like yours who do have serious reactions to vaccines and cannot have any more that it is so important the vast majority of children who are extremely unlikely to have vaccinations do get vaccinated.

Back on topic: it seems my son has recently been exposed to chicken pox at nursery and has not got it. So it looks like we have been lucky with regard to that.  

#53 of 60 Old 04-24-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:

Back on topic: it seems my son has recently been exposed to chicken pox at nursery and has not got it. So it looks like we have been lucky with regard to that.  

proscience, your son has been exposed twice now? or just once? is it possible he could already have acquired some immunity? Perhaps at some point you should check titers, especially if he has more exposures without infection?

#54 of 60 Old 04-25-2012, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmommy View Post

proscience, your son has been exposed twice now? or just once? is it possible he could already have acquired some immunity? Perhaps at some point you should check titers, especially if he has more exposures without infection?

I'm not sure. He's been at nursery which has reported 2-3 cases of chicken pox (some in the same room as him) - they always inform parents with a notice on the door when it happens. They also sent us to the Doctor once with some spots (suspected chicken pox) which never developed. It does seem to me that we may have been lucky and he's developed immunity without full blown symptoms. 

What would be the benefit of the titers? I'm not facing any kind of need to refuse a vaccination, or sign forms or anything - it's just not available here in the UK for healthy children. I'd have to go private to get titers but I think that would cost a similar amount to just getting the vaccination, so if I choose to go that route I think I'd just get the vaccination.  

#55 of 60 Old 04-25-2012, 04:08 AM

Prosciencemum, you might be interested in runkin's post in the "I'm Not Vaccinating" forum. Her 12-year-old nephew has had yearly cases of shingles since receiving the chicken pox vaccine--something that is being increasingly reported since introduction of the vaccine, and was unheard of before its introduction.

The benefit of the titers would be that, if your child already has immunity to chicken pox through previous sub-clinical infection, the vaccine and its risks would then be unnecessary for your child.
#56 of 60 Old 04-25-2012, 04:32 AM

and also not having to pay for/get a lifetime of boosters. 

but if there's no pressure, i wouldn't bother. maybe if he continues to be exposed without infection and before teenage years? i wouldn't want a vax for something i have lifelong immunity to.

#57 of 60 Old 04-25-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:

Absolutely. It is for children like yours who do have serious reactions to vaccines and cannot have any more that it is so important the vast majority of children who are extremely unlikely to have vaccinations do get vaccinated.

So, further increasing the risks?  We don't know who is unlikely to have reactions until they happen in most cases.

In terms of herd immunity, the more kids are vaccinated, the more will have severe reactions and not be able to be vaccinated.  It's like thinning the herd, so to speak.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#58 of 60 Old 04-25-2012, 09:22 AM

Well, I have the chicken pox right now!.  I'm in my mid 30's.  I only received 1 dose of the vaccine before having children because insurance didn't cover it for adults $100 (kinda started making me think about how all these kids are going to have no immunity as adults and not be able to afford booster and it's not effective anyway) but my titers showed "immunity" five years later which was 3 years ago.  

I tried exposing my unvaccinated girls twice, nothing the first time, but I got them the second time and my kids are fine (hoping they will get them from me in two weeks).  It has been horrible, not so much the itching, but I had horrible headaches, vomiting, fever, body aches, it has been very scary.  If my girls don't get them, I will not get them this shot and will recommend having their titers checked when they are adults and talk to them about the risks of catching it later.  

I also know of 5 other people who's vaccinated children have caught this strain.  In my opinion, the vaccine is worthless in children and only pushes the disease into adulthood where it is awful.  

Done with diapers!!

#59 of 60 Old 04-25-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningpearl View Post

Well, I have the chicken pox right now!.  I'm in my mid 30's.  I only received 1 dose of the vaccine before having children because insurance didn't cover it for adults $100 (kinda started making me think about how all these kids are going to have no immunity as adults and not be able to afford booster and it's not effective anyway) but my titers showed "immunity" five years later which was 3 years ago.  

I tried exposing my unvaccinated girls twice, nothing the first time, but I got them the second time and my kids are fine (hoping they will get them from me in two weeks).  It has been horrible, not so much the itching, but I had horrible headaches, vomiting, fever, body aches, it has been very scary.  If my girls don't get them, I will not get them this shot and will recommend having their titers checked when they are adults and talk to them about the risks of catching it later.  

I also know of 5 other people who's vaccinated children have caught this strain.  In my opinion, the vaccine is worthless in children and only pushes the disease into adulthood where it is awful.  

I'm so sorry you're sick!  I hope you are feeling better ASAP.  It's probably better that you have it now when you are young and can rebound well.  I remember when my brother and I had chicken pox when we were kids, and my grandfather couldn't visit because he never had it.  Of course, my grandmother came to help out and probably exposed him, but he never caught it and died 10 years later from cancer!

Any chance you're in Southern California?  ;)

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#60 of 60 Old 04-25-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningpearl View Post

I'm so sorry you're sick--but I'm VERY glad you have chicken pox and not shingles.  I've had both, and shingles was the worst experience of my life.  The dermatologist said I had the worst case of shingles she'd ever seen (it lasted 6 weeks), and she'd also never seen shingles in anyone so young.  (Oh, and my shingles was triggered by 4 vaccines that I was given--2 of which were triple vaxes (MMR and DPT--).

Do they give L-lysine or acyclovir/famvir for chicken pox, or do they just let it run its course?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page