Vaccines in other countries - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-24-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I was thinking that vaccines in different companies may be cultured in different ways and made differently.  And from what I read elsewhere, it sounds like many countries still have the seperate M M R shots available.

We will most likely be doing some world travel during my children's childhood and teenage years.  We're going to Japan in the fall and in a few years parts of Europe and who knows where else later on (dh is fascinated with travel).  Right now we don't vaccinate, but there are some vaccines I would consider if my kids hit adolescence with titers showing they do not have immunity.

I'm wondering if there is a good source to research vaccines available in other countries, who makes them, etc.?  I figure it's something to consider if we choose vaccines later if "safer" ones are available in other countries we might be visiting, or if ones I don't object to morally (i.e. the rubella vaccine in Japan is not cultured using a cell line from an aborted fetus like it is here).

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#2 of 7 Old 02-25-2012, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hm I don;t have links, but the rubella one in Japan is cultured in rabbit cells and is the only one world-wide using moral ingredients. In Europe you can get your hands on monovalent measles (sanofi merieux), rubella (but that is the bad one) and in GB they still have a single mumpsvax I was told (I know that is not available in Germany). All chickenpox ones are morally questionable. The Robert Koch Institut lists all approved vaccines in Germany. I would think that each country's "CDC" lists all approved ones. :) I can tell you that Germany also has monovalent Tetanus shots available and DT shots for kids 7 and older if you don't want pertussis.

#3 of 7 Old 02-26-2012, 07:32 PM

M

#4 of 7 Old 02-26-2012, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miriam View Post

My unvaxed children have been to Japan, Thailand, and all of Europe.  

My BIL has been to India and Nepal; he was required by the UN to get the yellow fever vax for the job. 

Just be careful of the water and you should be fine.

Europe:  http://ecdc.europa.eu/EN/ACTIVITIES/SURVEILLANCE/EUVAC/Pages/index.aspx

I'm not actually worried about traveling with unvaxed kids, I'm more wondering if there are better vaxes out there than there are in the states.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#5 of 7 Old 02-26-2012, 07:44 PM

#6 of 7 Old 03-31-2012, 10:26 AM

Well , in Germany ( my home country ) , you can get the single vaccines , if you choose to . Like only tetanus , only polio , etc . 

Ingredient wise , I am not too sure exactly , what´s in them , but the standard of safety is very high in Germany , so approved vaccines are quite safe  

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#7 of 7 Old 04-13-2012, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

I'm not sure of the details in the UK, but I assume you can find them on the NHS website (Vaccination page). Main difference in my experience (moved with 18 month old from US to UK, and had a second here in UK) is that kids here get a Meningitus vaccine not commonly offered in the US, and there is no standard way to get chicken pox vaccine. 

Our standard of safety is also very high, and there are different pressures on a social medicine system than the US insurance/profit based system. So the vaccine choices offered by the NHS I feel sure are not to do with giving profit to "big-pharma" but may have more of a wider social benefit cost-benefit analysis to them than worrying about giving individuals a lot of choice. 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page