Herd Immunity from wild measles vs vax - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-25-2012, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was reading this report on Measles from 1967,

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1919891/pdf/pubhealthreporig00027-0069.pdf

and it explains the pattern of measles outbreaks happen according to the number of the population immune vs. susceptible. The numbers given here reach the conclusion that when 55% of the population is immune, epidemics will not occur.

I suppose this is why they believed that with the introduction of measles vaccine, they could wipe out the disease in a single year... Really it doesn't seen too difficult to vaccinate enough kids to put the level above 55%, especially as children being born is what increases the number of susceptibles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity

The chart at this link says for measles, the current estimate for herd immunity to function is 83-94%.

What is going on here? With these number discrepancies? Is this just because the wild infection would give immunity for life and the vax just a varying amount of years, and the 83-94% number is adjusted for vaxed ppl who lost immunity? Or is it that the '67 info had problems? Some other issue concerning “real” vs vax immunity?

I wonder how much of the population is actually immune to measles... Especially adults too young to get wild cases and who have gone long without boosters. Anyone have any numbers/links for that? I don't even know if that is possible to know.

applejuice likes this.
#2 of 3 Old 02-27-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Merck MMR II package insert says 

Quote:
Neutralizing and ELISA antibodies to measles, mumps, and rubella viruses are still detectable in most individuals 11 to 13 years after primary vaccination.16-18

http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/m/mmr_ii/mmr_ii_pi.pdf

I guess they just don't know much more than that... they *think* it will last a lifetime, but I've heard some anecdotes to the contrary.

National Immunization Survey doesn't even survey what % adults had MMR vax (or wild infection)

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/stats-surv/nis/downloads/nis-adult-summer-2007.pdf

Of interest on wikipedia (Couldn't get to the full text through footnote)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMR_vaccine

Quote:
In 2005, the Cochrane Library published a review of 31 scientific studies. One of its main results: "We could not identify studies assessing the effectiveness of MMR that fulfilled our inclusion criteria even though the impact of mass immunisation on the elimination of the diseases has been largely demonstrated." 

eyesroll.gif

applejuice likes this.
#3 of 3 Old 04-14-2013, 03:45 PM

I am not sure as to why the difference between the 60's and more current data but I have a question/comment as to the long term effectiveness of the vaccine. They state that there are antibodies years after vaccination but what are the rates of naturally acquired "boosters" from the environment? I think it is impossible to determine how long a vaccine lasts without putting the vaccinated individual in a bubble with no outside contact and testing annually.

applejuice likes this.

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page