Dtap question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-29-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How quickly does it take effect? None of my kids have any vaccines but it seems my nephew has pertussis and to be honest it is pretty scary for me. My youngest is only three months so I am thinking of trying to get him an appointment tomrorrw to get the two month vaccines.

Does anyone have info on the number of deaths per case of pertussis? I can't seem to find that anywhere.

Jamie, busy Mama to my sweet little O Man, loving wife to Brian, and very excited about our new addition, the J Man, here after ourh20homebirth.gif
                                                   Unexpectedly expecting a new little one in November!!!belly.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 02-29-2012, 06:29 PM

Do your kids have much contact with nephew? There is a lot of info around here and the health forums about treating pertussis with sodium ascorbate.

I don't know the exact %s for efficacy after each round of the series, as in the case with DTaP. If you are worried about your 3mo getting it from your nephew, I don't think much could be done at this point in terms of vax preventing prior exposure. Do you want to get all the 2mo vax for your LO? or just DTaP? Here are the inserts for various brands of DTaP, they may have more info. Pertussis vax also does not prevent transmission, another thing to keep in mind. How old is your nephew?

Daptacel – Sanofi Pasteur

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM103037.pdf

Infanrix – GlaxoSmithKline

http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_infanrix.pdf

Tripedia – Sanofi Pasteur

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM101580.pdf

#3 of 9 Old 02-29-2012, 06:40 PM

http://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/outbreaks.html

Quote:
Pertussis is an endemic (common) disease in the United States, with periodic epidemics every 3 to 5 years and frequent outbreaks. In 2010, 27,550 cases of pertussis were reported — and many more cases go unreported. 
Pertussis outbreaks can be difficult to identify and manage. Other respiratory pathogens often cause clinical symptoms similar to pertussis, and co-circulation with other pathogens (bacterial and viral) does occur. 
In 2010, 9,143 cases of pertussis (including ten infant deaths) were reported throughout California.

#4 of 9 Old 03-01-2012, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieB View Post

How quickly does it take effect? None of my kids have any vaccines but it seems my nephew has pertussis and to be honest it is pretty scary for me. My youngest is only three months so I am thinking of trying to get him an appointment tomrorrw to get the two month vaccines.
Does anyone have info on the number of deaths per case of pertussis? I can't seem to find that anywhere.

"They" claim the child has to have all 3 dtap vaxes in order to achieve any protection.    So, vaxing at this point would not do anything other than tax the child's body and immune system, so that when said child comes into contact with microbes, his chances of getting sick increase, imo.

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/immunize/Documents/PertussisSummaryReport20100630.pdf

http://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/outbreaks.html

#5 of 9 Old 03-01-2012, 06:38 AM

Is your nephew a confirmed case and did you spend time with him? You can get preventative antibiotics in that case, I would talk to your sister (to see if the whole family now is on antibiotics, which is standard) and talk to your doc.

#6 of 9 Old 03-01-2012, 08:10 AM

Are you nursing? While I do understand it is scary at all to think of our little ones getting sick...BF helps so much at this age to ward off many illnesses (including pertussis). Many of the PPs have given good advice too but I would read the threads on here about WC and treatments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieB View Post

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

#7 of 9 Old 03-02-2012, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks very one. I was planning on just getting the dap for him. I thought I had read that the first dose is something like 80% effective? Anyway dh talked me out of it and told me I was overreacting. So whatever.

My nephew was not a confirmed case but it seemed pretty likely. Apparently now the doctor is convinced it is not pertussis. Just trying to scare her about he vaccines I guess because when she went back and damned her son be tested the doctor changed his mind:eyesroll. I don't have lot of contact with him but my mom gets back and forth between our houses almost daily.

My nephew seems to be doing a lot better apparently. Still coughing but not as hard. He also had a very high fever for about five days which I tought wasn't typical of pertussis. And yes I'm nursing and I've read about sa on here.

Thanks everyone!
member234098 likes this.

Jamie, busy Mama to my sweet little O Man, loving wife to Brian, and very excited about our new addition, the J Man, here after ourh20homebirth.gif
                                                   Unexpectedly expecting a new little one in November!!!belly.gif
#8 of 9 Old 03-02-2012, 05:41 AM

humph... it's pertussis because kid is unvaxed and dr. is trying to push vax... mom demands test to confirm, and it's not pertussis suddenly. Glad to hear he is doing better. This is a major reason we will never really *know* what are the real numbers/situation of pertussis --- especially because vaxed ppl are never/rarely tested. 

Bokonon likes this.
#9 of 9 Old 03-02-2012, 06:51 AM

I'm glad it's not pertussis and that your nephew is on the mend. That truly doesn't sound like pertussis at all. Did they figure out what it was?

@ Slmommy: Hahaha true. When DS had a confirmed case of croup some resident was like oh it could be pertussis because he is not vaccinated. The attending just looked at her like what are you talking about and I said well look in the chart, the bloodwork confirms a viral infection and pertussis is bacterial, his cough is a sealy barky cough and the attending already diagnosed croup yesterday. She did not say another word after that. They really don't bother to read the chart or results beyond not vaccinated.

member234098 likes this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page