Measles outbreak and school issues - WWYD? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-01-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I'm in Indiana and we're are currently experiencing an "outbreak" of wild measles.  17 cases in the whole state.  All outbreaks have happened 3hrs NORTH of us. 

Anyway, I get a letter in the mail from school about ds.  I have him on file as unvaxed (though he was actually vaccinated until age 2 in another state.) 

The school is considering 1 or more measles infection(s) in the school to be an "outbreak" and will exclude all unvaxed or undervaxed kids for 21 days AFTER the last measles case.  (who knows how long that could be??)

The ways of proving immunity are current and up to date vaccination, titers showing immunity, OR getting an MMR vaccine ASAP before readmission.

We currently have a religious exemption, as our state only offers religious and medical exemptions.  So, I don't want to release his proof of vaccination.  I checked his records and he only had 1 does at 18mos old.  Would there be any chance that his titers would be high enough to prove immunity?

And, does it seem reasonable that they would exclude for that long?  According to their letter, the incubation period is 10-14 days.  So, if an outbreak does occur, it could be weeks and weeks before he's readmitted. 

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#2 of 12 Old 03-01-2012, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

yes that is the standard procedure at our school too...21 days...have his titers checked,,, was he BF?  if so, he may have enough titers for immunity and that would be your ticket to go back to school.  and if kids keep breaking out in school, who knows how long all exempted kids will be required to stay out of school til the epidemic is "officially" over...meaning the health dept and maybe the CDC have to give the "all clear" sign to the schools for students to return.  

#3 of 12 Old 03-02-2012, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peilover010202 View Post

So, I'm in Indiana and we're are currently experiencing an "outbreak" of wild measles.  17 cases in the whole state.  All outbreaks have happened 3hrs NORTH of us. 

Anyway, I get a letter in the mail from school about ds.  I have him on file as unvaxed (though he was actually vaccinated until age 2 in another state.) 

The school is considering 1 or more measles infection(s) in the school to be an "outbreak" and will exclude all unvaxed or undervaxed kids for 21 days AFTER the last measles case.  (who knows how long that could be??)

The ways of proving immunity are current and up to date vaccination, titers showing immunity, OR getting an MMR vaccine ASAP before readmission.

We currently have a religious exemption, as our state only offers religious and medical exemptions.  So, I don't want to release his proof of vaccination.  I checked his records and he only had 1 does at 18mos old.  Would there be any chance that his titers would be high enough to prove immunity?

And, does it seem reasonable that they would exclude for that long?  According to their letter, the incubation period is 10-14 days.  So, if an outbreak does occur, it could be weeks and weeks before he's readmitted. 

If the need arises (which it most likely won't) than just show them that he has been vaccinated with MMR. You can file a religious exemption at any time as religious views can change as long as you will not be vaccinating anymore. You just can't file and then pick and choose or continue to vax without jeprodizing your exemption. I mean lets get serious. 17 cases out of a population of 6,516,922 none of which have been reported in your community. I figure you have a better chance of being struck by lightening than your child's school experiencing a case of measles. BUT if it did and it does become an issue - I would just show the record or get his titres checked. If he reeived 1 dose he has a very high chance of having high titres.

Bokonon likes this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 12 Old 03-02-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

If the need arises (which it most likely won't) than just show them that he has been vaccinated with MMR. You can file a religious exemption at any time as religious views can change as long as you will not be vaccinating anymore. You just can't file and then pick and choose or continue to vax without jeprodizing your exemption. I mean lets get serious. 17 cases out of a population of 6,516,922 none of which have been reported in your community. I figure you have a better chance of being struck by lightening than your child's school experiencing a case of measles. BUT if it did and it does become an issue - I would just show the record or get his titres checked. If he reeived 1 dose he has a very high chance of having high titres.

And I wonder how many of the teachers are up to date on their MMR boosters...I'm sure THEY won't be required to be excluded!  

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#5 of 12 Old 03-02-2012, 08:11 AM

I would get his titers testes asap. He very probably has sufficient titers and won't be excluded from school. Good luck!

#6 of 12 Old 03-02-2012, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

The letter specifically said they would exclude any staff without current proof of immunity.  So, i imagine IF it even happens, then those teachers will go get vaxed and be done with it.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#7 of 12 Old 03-02-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peilover010202 View Post

The letter specifically said they would exclude any staff without current proof of immunity.  So, i imagine IF it even happens, then those teachers will go get vaxed and be done with it.

That's reassuring I guess.  It would be unfair to exclude students and not staff, although I wonder what "current" proof of immunity means - MMR as a child?  

member234098 likes this.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#8 of 12 Old 03-02-2012, 02:03 PM

.... I wonder what would happen if a teacher had no immunity and refused vax?? Are teachers the next target like health care pros? Are teachers going to have to flu vax or wear masks/lose job next? While we are at it... cashiers in the grocery store have contact with a lot of people... what's next.......?? 

member234098 and Bokonon like this.
#9 of 12 Old 03-03-2012, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmommy View Post

.... I wonder what would happen if a teacher had no immunity and refused vax?? Are teachers the next target like health care pros? Are teachers going to have to flu vax or wear masks/lose job next? While we are at it... cashiers in the grocery store have contact with a lot of people... what's next.......?? 

Bankers deal with public a lot, lets mandate them too, and food service workers should succumb  to the food poisoning vax,  so they dont pass on food poisoning, <(eyeroll),  vets will be next, requiring all shots the pets get as well,  plumbers and construction workers will be required to be up to date on all dtap, hep series, and anything else deemed  "work preventable illness"...who did i forget?  

#10 of 12 Old 03-03-2012, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Until very recently, Merck's website claimed 95% of those who got ONE shot would have lifetime immunity.

The second shot is supposed to catch the 5%--but so far, I've not found any studies showing this to be the case, nor have I seen studies comparing safety of one MMR vs two.

Anyway, I'd get the titer done. If your child had one shot, he most likely still has sufficient antibodies.
member234098 likes this.
#11 of 12 Old 03-03-2012, 10:18 AM

#12 of 12 Old 03-20-2012, 01:46 PM
HRJ

Do you mind telling me which cities are affected?  We are traveling to Indiana in a few weeks with 2 unvaxxed kids.  And they will be hanging out with their unvaxxed cousins who live there.  

Thank you!

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page