Lyme Disease vaccine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-02-2012, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What ever happened to the Lyme Disease vaccine?  We live in Maine and I have to say it would be nice to have some protection against Lyme (although I think it was meant for only teenagers and/or adults).  I read about this vaccine in a book by Paul Offit but now it seems to have disappeared...it is not even mentioned in Dr Sears's book, I don't think.

thank you!

Daisy Olden

ps.  x-posed in "ask Dr Sears", but I don't think he looks at his e-mail very frequently :)

member234098 likes this.
#2 of 6 Old 03-03-2012, 04:02 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

When they gave it out around here like 10-12yrs ago, too many people had a reaction , so they stopped giving it.  It also proved not to provide any protection against lyme disease. 

member234098 likes this.
#3 of 6 Old 03-04-2012, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

h

#4 of 6 Old 03-05-2012, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

It's not consistent enough in protection to be worth it.  I won't even give it to my dogs anymore (we live in CT so major lyme territory) because it doesn't offer any guarantees - my older one who was vax as a puppy came down with lyme as an adult.  Def wouldn't give this to my daughter.  Besides, it takes 24-48hrs for the disease to transmit from ticks, and it's much easier to check a person for ticks than a dog, so if by chance you get bit, quick removal is the best way to avoid it.

member234098 likes this.
#5 of 6 Old 03-09-2012, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)

Quote:
When they gave it out around here like 10-12yrs ago, too many people had a reaction , so they stopped giving it. 

we were told by our Dr it was because it didn't sell (our Dr did lots of the vaccine because of our area- for people who's jobs involved working in heavily wooded high risk areas) I know lots of people who got it and had no reactions 

my DH had two of the three doses and could not get the 3rd because they had stopped making it when he was due

he had no reaction and now should have 60% immunity as with a dog that is also treated (we know of one that contacted it and went thru treatment) my DH will always now show positive if tested

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#6 of 6 Old 03-10-2012, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

the health dept here in NW Ct said they stopped the program because it was not producing the desired results they had hoped for in people. there was a big article in the local paper here when it came out, the duration of it, and then the cessation of it.  It was so long ago, it was before the newspaper went on the internet, and now the paper is defunct. 

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page