Little one has to be in daycare, and I don't want to vaccinate.... thoughts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 03-19-2012, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello - I am looking for help, as with the path we have chosen for now I need to be at work and my little one has to be at daycare. She is just over 4 months, and has already had the first round of vaccinations... as I didn't realize that I had an option with her being in daycare. She has been pretty sick since starting daycare, catching lots of bugs... one bout of RSV already and a mild ear infection.... but mostly just stuffy noses. She is also dealing with a lot of eczema like symptoms on her head (I have cleared the rest of her body up, but can't seem to resolve her head). My thoughts are that if I were to be able to be home with her and not have to have her in daycare I would not be vaccinating... I am still breastfeeding (pumping while at work).... Most of what I see here seems to be with moms who are able to stay at home.... I am anxious about what the increased risks are for those in daycare?? Does anybody have any documentation/thoughts on this?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 03-19-2012, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

my unvaxed 3 preschoolers were in daycare...never had a problem...they never caught any disease nor were they feared of bringing one in...the same old germs/bugs are still being passed around whether your child is vaccinated or not....  theres no vax for a cold.  The only thing i can think of she mite catch would be chicken pox...my 4mo old nephew got them at daycare..

#3 of 23 Old 03-19-2012, 05:23 PM

Hi and welcome to MDC! My sons were both selectively vaxed and had no problems in daycare. They were very healthy, in fact. I think the best thing for you at this point would be to really figure out why you are against vaxes and then how that relates to day care. For me, the vaxes I decided to avoid were for diseases I concluded were not a great risk and I was ok with my children contracting them. 

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#4 of 23 Old 03-22-2012, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the information... would you mind sharing which vax in your opinion were ok?? I am trying to sort thru all of that, and I don't really have much history with little ones.... friends here don't have kiddos... not really sure what might be prevalent with this age group (she is now just over 4 months)... I don't think whooping cough scares me enought to get vax, but dr keeps going on about the poor 8 kiddos in California that died recently.... the more I read up the more confused I get. I am just looking for some opinions that come from experience so I can get a gauge of what other mama's might be thinking...

#5 of 23 Old 03-22-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ojenny View Post

Thank you for the information... would you mind sharing which vax in your opinion were ok?? I am trying to sort thru all of that, and I don't really have much history with little ones.... friends here don't have kiddos... not really sure what might be prevalent with this age group (she is now just over 4 months)... I don't think whooping cough scares me enought to get vax, but dr keeps going on about the poor 8 kiddos in California that died recently.... the more I read up the more confused I get. I am just looking for some opinions that come from experience so I can get a gauge of what other mama's might be thinking...

Start by reading about which disease you are interested in preventing...imo, none were ok for my children.  I am not ok with the ingredients, nor the concept.  

#6 of 23 Old 03-22-2012, 08:58 PM

I think the decision has to be really individual. I know that doesn't really answer your question. orngbiggrin.gif Dr Sears' Vaccine Book is a great place to start and then you can dig deeper where you want to after that.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#7 of 23 Old 03-23-2012, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)

My opinion based on my understand of vaccines was that the risks of all diseases were greater than those of getting the vaccines. For a child coming into contact with a lot of other children (possibly with older siblings at school etc) I would want to get all vaccines I could. But that's my opinion and probably not a popular one on these boards. 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#8 of 23 Old 03-23-2012, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My son now almost 4 is 100% unvaxed and has been in daycare since he was 3 months old. Im 37 weeks along and this baby will start daycare unvaxed at 3 months old too. My son has had his fair share of illness - colds, barfing bugs, pinkeye. Im pretty sure he had roseola at some point too, but no VPD's. He was breastfed exclusively until 6 months and then he continued (along with solids) until he was 2.5 yrs old. Sure there are some VPD's that concern me, but nothing that realistically I don't think were he to catch, we could not handle. I am into natural and alternative medicine and feel confident how to recognize and appropriately treat most VPD's. I could not disagree more with above poster. I think the potential risks of MOST (if not all) of the vaccines outweigh any benefit for my child in our situation. There is simply not enough good unbiased science to say with any type of certainly that would satisfy me that the benefits outweigh the risks.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#9 of 23 Old 03-26-2012, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)

All my children were in daycare.  The older 2 were fully vaxed, the youngest was on a greatly reduced/delayed vax schedule.

They were each breastfed for at least 2 years.

They were the ONLY kids in their classes who either didn't catch whatever viruses were going around the class, or if they did (rarely), they had by far the mildest cases, with one exception--my second kid got Cocksackie virus his first week in daycare, and hubby and I got it, too!  Apparently, that was one I had never been exposed to, so I was unable to provide him with enough immunity to fend it off with no symptoms.  He didn't get sick after that, though, for the next 2 years.

They were also the only breastfed kids in the daycare.

My youngest didn't get sick any more or less than her older brothers.

As long as we signed the form saying we had a philosophical exemption from vaccines, the daycare was fine with Youngest Daughter not being fully vaxed.

(We eventually started using the medical exemption form, as her doctor exempted her from further vaccines because of a reaction.)

#10 of 23 Old 03-26-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

My opinion based on my understand of vaccines was that the risks of all diseases were greater than those of getting the vaccines. For a child coming into contact with a lot of other children (possibly with older siblings at school etc) I would want to get all vaccines I could. But that's my opinion and probably not a popular one on these boards. 

It doesn't matter if your opinion is popular on these boards or not.  The OP asked for "thoughts", and you are welcome to post yours!

I rather think the OP wanted to hear both sides, anyway.

#11 of 23 Old 04-13-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

It doesn't matter if your opinion is popular on these boards or not.  The OP asked for "thoughts", and you are welcome to post yours!

I rather think the OP wanted to hear both sides, anyway.

Thanks. Sorry we're arguing on another thread. That was nice. :) 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#12 of 23 Old 04-13-2012, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Some states require full vaccination records to be in a licensed daycare, don't they? Unless I am remembering incorrectly.  Is that an issue in your state?

#13 of 23 Old 04-13-2012, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infojunkie View Post

Some states require full vaccination records to be in a licensed daycare, don't they? Unless I am remembering incorrectly.  Is that an issue in your state?

oops, some quick googling tells me I'm wrong on that probably, sorry! :)

#14 of 23 Old 04-13-2012, 04:08 PM

A licensed daycare is required to have either a vaccination record or an appropriate exemption on file. 

#15 of 23 Old 04-13-2012, 04:10 PM

and to my knowledge, if the daycare accepts state/federal funds, they also have to accept a vaccination waiver.  Only private schools that do not accept funding can reject a waiver. 

#16 of 23 Old 04-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Banned

How recent and how serious was the RSV?  

It's anecdotal, but my experience was that my dd had a bad case of RSV (hospitalized with O2 sats at 87, in-patient for 5 days, which is pretty routine for RSV, but not something I am willing to do twice if I can prevent it), and then proceeded to get pneumonia three times in the next 8 weeks.  She also has a tendency towards dermatological reactions to stuff - if she gets one bug bite, she has hives spread across her body within 12 hours unless we treat with benadryl.  I live in fear of her first bee sting.  Turns out she has asthma and she can go from minor ear infection to pneumonia within a few days.  When she's healthy, she's healthy, and when she's sick, she's way sicker than I am comfortable with.  Practically anything that effects her respiratory system at all leads to pneumonia.  

She is fully vaxed, and I treat suspected ear or sinus infections with warm garlic oil in her ears at the earliest possible sign.  Most kids get sick a lot in their first year of group care.  When I was in your situation, I was deeply concerned about all the illnesses she could encounter, and she is fully vaxed to minimize the potential that she will get sick as much as possible.  The rest of the family is also fully vaxed to maximize her herd immunity.  She has been pneumonia-free for three years now.  The vaccines are just one factor in this, but they are important.  I've taught through local flu outbreaks and had to deal with sick students, for example, and she has stayed healthy.  

#17 of 23 Old 04-14-2012, 10:53 PM

All my kids were in daycare part-time starting as infants.  They were all EBF, which I think helped enormously.  My older two  got sick much less often than the other kids in the daycare, none of whom were breastfed beyond the time they started daycare.

My #2 son had a SEVERE rash reaction to his 4-month vaccines. According to the 2 pediatric dermatologists who saw him, vaccines are a common cause of severe rashes, and can also trigger autoimmune rash reactions to other things that seem to have nothing to do with the vaccine, even years later (dermatitis herpetiformis, bug bites, scented laundry detergent, etc).

My youngest was selective/delayed vaxxed at that point, so she had far fewer vaccines than her older siblings. She didn't get sick at daycare.  Ever.  Period.

All my kids have medical exemptions from further vaccines because they have all had severe vaccine reactions.  A common argument for vaccination is that children who are at risk for vaccine reaction would also be at risk for complications from vaccine-preventable diseases, but in our family, this has definitely not been the case.  They have either had mild cases, or have developed immunity (as measured by titers) without ever having had noticeable symptoms.

#18 of 23 Old 04-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Banned

If you have a history of vax reactions individually or in the close family, I would definitely not vaccinate.  

Both of my dd's were EBF until they started solids and continued to nurse for a years after that.  My first dd was healthy almost all of the time.  My second was not.  EBF kids tend to get sick less often, but a statistical tendency is not destiny.  Alas.

#19 of 23 Old 04-16-2012, 02:36 AM

I there were a history of serious vaccination reactions in my children, or close family I also would most likely not vaccinate. Vaccination reactions are rare, but do happen of course. No medicine (in fact nothing) can be 100% safe. It is for people who cannot have vaccinations (like Taximom's children) that it is so important that most of the rest of us do get vaccinated, and the rates of these diseases are kept low. 

If there were no reason to suspect a reaction I would (and did) vaccinate on schedule. 

My daughter has a mild reaction the H1N1 vaccine in that she had a fever and a sore arm at the site of injection (I also got a sore arm, but no fever - I had it while pregnant with my youngest). In my opinion that was worth it to protect the family from what at the time seemed very serious contagious illness. Neither of my kids had any noticeable reaction to any other vaccination, but were always given tylenol (paracetomol) immediately after the shots. 

My children were vaccinated and breast fed and seemed/seem to get sick much less than some of their friends in daycare. I think breast feeding is a huge benefit for children in daycare and I was very lucky that I was able to pump at work for my daughter, and visit my son during the day (very lose nursery to my office) to continue the BF relationship well past a year for both of them. :) 

Vaccine injury from wikipedia

Here is the CDC list of possible side-effects from vaccines. 

#20 of 23 Old 04-16-2012, 04:48 PM

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/side-effects.htm

Quote:
However, a decision not to immunize a child also involves risk and could put the child and others who come into contact with him or her at risk of contracting a potentially deadly disease.

i have a serious problem with this statement they make...what about the children who are shedding a live virus vax and infect others who ARE vaccinated and contract said disease anyway? 

#21 of 23 Old 01-18-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry - checked out for a while - RSV was not bad, trip to the ER to get the temp under control, with a very small ear irritation that she started antibiotics for... My theory looking back is that the antibiotics stripped her of her good bacteria and that set off various other issues... as when (after trying all kinds of things) we started supplementing probiotics it seemed to clear up. (Think we had a yeast imbalance issue). Could be coincidence, but she still seems to be somewhat sensitive to yeast. I still haven't had her vaxed (14 months now) since that first full round.... and while waiver sometimes, I am still more afraid of vaxing than not. 

#22 of 23 Old 01-24-2013, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Not going to enter the vax debate but I recommend optimizing Vitamin D levels, good probiotics and breastfeeding as long as you can!

Mom to DS 9/18/09 and DS 3/28/13
Laugh it up, fuzzball biggrinbounce.gif 

#23 of 23 Old 01-25-2013, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookumus View Post

Not going to enter the vax debate but I recommend optimizing Vitamin D levels, good probiotics and breastfeeding as long as you can!

Proper nutrition and extended breastfeeding are excellent ideas to keep children as healthy as possible - regardless of a child's vaccination status. :) 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page