URGENT - Non-Vaxed Twins Exposed to Whooping Cough - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-22-2012, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So we are a no vax family and I know all the arguments about the vaccine for whooping cough and how it does not prevent contracting. All that being said, my twins were exposed to whooping cough at our baby class on Tuesday and I just received an email informing me today. I called my doc and left a message with his nurse for him to call me back. I was reading something about vitamin C? Anything else we can do to help the girls? Can you even get the vaccine after you have been exposed? And last question, I am thinking of not going to these classes anymore, do you take your non vaxed kids to play groups or classes?

Wife to DH  dh_malesling.GIF Momma to twin girls slingtwin.gif cloth diapering, no vaxing, family bed, organic living, eating and wearing family! treehugger.gif

#2 of 10 Old 03-22-2012, 02:40 PM

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1348415/help-nonvaxxed-son-exposed-to-pertussis-at-school#post_16919321

from 2 days ago, so probably most of your questions have been answered there... how old are your twins?

#3 of 10 Old 03-22-2012, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

11 months

Wife to DH  dh_malesling.GIF Momma to twin girls slingtwin.gif cloth diapering, no vaxing, family bed, organic living, eating and wearing family! treehugger.gif

#4 of 10 Old 03-22-2012, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

11 months old. I saw that thread but those kids are much older then mine.

#5 of 10 Old 03-22-2012, 02:55 PM

The OP of that thread had a 13mo at home, she was worried about big brother/sister? giving it to baby. The ladies there were saying while scary, after baby is 6 months, it is not *as* critical... and that SA is ok for 13 mo old... haven't done the research myself but you should look at the links about SA and dosing for 11 mo.

#6 of 10 Old 03-22-2012, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

What is SA?

#7 of 10 Old 03-22-2012, 03:24 PM

Sodium Ascorbate, (form of Vitamin C). Was it a confirmed case of pertussis?

ETA: Also one of your original questions - I'm pretty sure getting the vax now would do nothing in regards to this exposure, and actually it is probably not the best time to vax if you want to keep immune system in best shape as possible

Bokonon likes this.
#8 of 10 Old 03-22-2012, 10:13 PM

I would and did take unvaxed kids anywhere, to playgroups or whatever any other kids would be doing.  I don't think being unvaxed should mean social restrictions. 

It sounds like you are a little uncertain about being unvaxed in general and maybe should find some peace with that somehow.  I wouldn't quit the class because of the pertussis exposure.  Or are there other reasons? 

Bokonon likes this.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#9 of 10 Old 03-23-2012, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I think antibiotics can be given after exposure to prevent infection. Maybe ask the ped if thats an option? 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#10 of 10 Old 04-27-2012, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post

I think antibiotics can be given after exposure to prevent infection. Maybe ask the ped if thats an option? 

From my reading, antibiotics only reduce the chance of it spreading further and actually extend the length of the disease for the person given them. I'd get some sodium ascorbate into your kids, to bowel tolerance.

I believe if you search the forum you can find older threads about SA and pertussis.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page