Having second thoughts about not vaccinating - thinking of vaccinating 12 yr old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-28-2012, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi I'm new here and am back to head swirling with trying to work out what's best.

I'm a qualified herbalist and did tons of research whilst pregnant and decided not to vaccinate. In the end at age 2 I did get my son vaccinated against tetanus and polio but thinking about it he never had any further doses so was probably a bit pointless...

As an alternative person with an interest in healthy food I expected to have a robust healthy child... unfortunately my son is really quite sickly with allergies, hayfever, migraine type headaches, asthma - you get the picture. He is quite nasally and has big black bags under his eyes (I'm assuming from nasal congestion). He is also extremely fussy about food and I just about manage to get him to have 2 -3 portions of fruit and veg but very little variation on which ones (I am working on it).

He currently has probable whooping cough and it isn't nice at all and I'm thinking that as he seems to have a low immune system (he managed to get scarlet fever at aged 7 and no-one else seemed to get it) and susceptible I should get him vaccinated before he gets something even worse.

Then of course I start thinking that with his profile of allergies etc he probably shouldn't get vaccinated as it is possible that would all get worse.

Went back to the books and research and feel vindicated in my decision not to vaccinate, but then I compare him to other kids who have all been vaccinated and they all seem much healthier....

It's all quite frustrating as I breastfed till he was 13 months, only medicated with herbs and homeopathy up until scarlet fever at aged 7 and he has never had any calpol etc....

Any thoughts on this would be very gratefully received!

Thanks,

Let 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

theres a good chance the early vaccines he received may have triggered his allergies as they overproduce IgE. and immonglobulin that has to do with allergies.  Theres a better chance, imo, that vaccinating further will damage him more.  big black bags under eyes usually means a dairy intoleranc...scarlet fever results in strep throat being exacerbated, and without antibiotics to get rid of the strep, scarlet fever and rheumatic fever can set in.  Imo, vaccines further weaken the immune system, not build it up...

Quote:
It's all quite frustrating as I breastfed till he was 13 months, only medicated with herbs and homeopathy up until scarlet fever at aged 7 and he has never had any calpol etc....

have you considered he may have been allergic to any of the ingredients in the vaccines he received, since he seems to be so allergy prone?  

Old 03-30-2012, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It sounds like your son has symptoms of a food allergy/intolerance. Dairy in particular is often implicated in dark circles below the eyes. A compromised immune system like he has might be caused by a leaky gut, and/or systemic inflammation due to prolonged exposure to allergens (wheat, corn, soy, and dairy are the prime offenders). There's a great forum on mothering for allergies if you'd like to talk to some knowledgeable mamas over there!

Considering that his system is already compromised, I wouldn't add more fuel to the fire with vaccinations right now. Get him healed first then consider the vax. Just my two cents… best of luck to you and your son.

-corrie, whose family went gluten-free after figuring out DDs gluten intolerance at two years

User Tag List