Chicken pox exposure - 14 month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-29-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Like many MDCers, I would like my kids to have natural immunity to chicken pox by getting the virus rather than the vaccine. My sons are 3.5 y/o and 14 months (still nursing). I know of a mom about an hour drive who is going to get her child exposed to chicken pox. An hour drive is doable for us and I am thinking about taking the opportunity to have my kids exposed - especially ds1. My husband thinks ds2 is too young to get the chicken pox. I don't think his age is a problem but then I had chicken pox as an infant (around 6-8 months) when my older brothers brought it home from school.

If you had 14 month old child, how would you take feel about s/he being exposed to chicken pox? [Edited to be more clear.] Is there any literature out that about what ages are better/worse to get the chicken pox?

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#2 of 5 Old 03-29-2012, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Personally I would feel fine exposing my DS who is about your son's age. I think a 14 month old would likely fare just fine (although if he is still nursing he may not even get it at all), but my own personal comfort level would NOT expose a child that young on purpose. I feel more comfortable if a child can vocalize to me how they feel just in case there ae any complications or out of the ordinary concerns. However you couldn't really expose your son without exposing your little one because if your son does get it, then your little one will be exposed regardless. Seems like it would have to be a package deal no??

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 5 Old 03-29-2012, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

Seems like it would have to be a package deal no??

Yes, I do think that it is a package deal. The hesitation is more about ds2's age (14 months) than ds1. I think I will edit my original post to reflect that.

ribbonpb.gif
#4 of 5 Old 03-31-2012, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you end up with CP, cn we come play???  :D 

#5 of 5 Old 04-01-2012, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookie514 View Post

If you end up with CP, cn we come play???  :D 

If I decide to go for it and we get them, I'll send you a PM.

ribbonpb.gif

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page