I really would like advice--Thinking about giving 3 y/o her first vax before preschool and new baby - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 04-19-2012, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks slmommy, very good info you posted from the insert. If they only give 3 doses in Sweden and call that the series, then the 4/5th doses here seem like overkill. I'm being more convinced that if we do choose to give her DTaP 3 doses would be adequate.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#32 of 49 Old 04-20-2012, 11:23 PM

Were you able to read the article on Vitamin C and Pertussis towards the beginning of this thread?  I read the entire thing, and highly encourage you to do the same.  I think it might help with your "on the fence" issue for your daughter, as you could potentially be protecting her children as well by not vaccinating her.

selectivevax.gifcd.gifbfinfant.gif & Part-Time EC
#33 of 49 Old 04-21-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

I read that article but because the author does not give any citations regarding where she gets the information from where she states that before vaccination infants under 1 year rarely got pertussis I can't in good faith include this statement in my research as fact. I need something to back statements like that up. There is too much misinformation out there unfortunately. Not too say its not true...But I need more proof.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#34 of 49 Old 04-21-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Are we talking about the same article? The link I read doesn't mention vitamin C.

#35 of 49 Old 04-23-2012, 11:30 AM

Great job with your research mama!  Just wanted to add some info if you do decide to vax -the link www.vaccishield.com It is a supplement that is supposed to boost immune system and help the body deal with vaccinations.  There is page with research on nutrition and vaccination that might be helpful.  Might be good to discuss it with your pediatrician. Researching on PubMed can be helpful too.

Good luck with your decisions!

#36 of 49 Old 04-24-2012, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama1219 View Post

Great job with your research mama!  Just wanted to add some info if you do decide to vax -the link www.vaccishield.com It is a supplement that is supposed to boost immune system and help the body deal with vaccinations.  There is page with research on nutrition and vaccination that might be helpful.  Might be good to discuss it with your pediatrician. Researching on PubMed can be helpful too.

Good luck with your decisions!

Mama1219 be warned a post like that from a new member looks a bit like spam/phising to get people to go to your commerical company. I've flagged this for the moderators to check. Sorry if that was wrong, just seemed suspicious and I know there are lots of unscrupulous companies trying to make money off peoples fears of vaccines. 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#37 of 49 Old 04-27-2012, 08:09 AM

Hi, I don't know if you have made your decision about vaccinating your child but you could look into the homeopathic called pertussinum. My mom gave this to us kids when we were young durring an outbreak of whooping cough. My cousin who we had been around a lot ended up in the hospital with it but none of my moms children got the whooping cough.

#38 of 49 Old 04-27-2012, 08:31 AM

I highly recommend a book called HOMEOPATHY AN A-Z HOME HANDBOOK BY ALAN V SCHMUKLER.  In this book he talks about homeopathic Immunization.

#39 of 49 Old 04-27-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

I've heard lots about homeopathic pertussin.  I'm a strong believer in homeopathy, I actually teach a course about it at the local midwifery school.  That said, I think homeopathics for something like pertussis would be awesome if we were talking about toddlers/older kids.  I just don't want to take chances with a newborn.  Homeopathics can have varying effects and sometimes IMO allopathics are more indicated.  This would be a case (to me, I am aware everyone thinks differently.)  Later when the newborn is a toddler for sure I would look into pertussin if there was another outbreak in the area and she was still unvaccinated.

#40 of 49 Old 04-28-2012, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaLee Allred View Post

I highly recommend a book called HOMEOPATHY AN A-Z HOME HANDBOOK BY ALAN V SCHMUKLER.  In this book he talks about homeopathic Immunization.

Isn't that just injecting yourself with water? Homeopathic medicines having on average zero molecules of their claimed contents in them..... 

Youngfrankenstein likes this.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#41 of 49 Old 04-28-2012, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

Isn't that just injecting yourself with water? Homeopathic medicines having on average zero molecules of their claimed contents in them..... 

ROTFLMAO.gifHomeopathic nosodes are given by mouth. 

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#42 of 49 Old 05-09-2012, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

I'm about to research homeopathic nosodes.  Is there a good starting point?

#43 of 49 Old 05-17-2012, 10:14 PM

Just wanted to say you have done alot of great research! Unfortunate that there are not better resources for concerned parents regarding vaccines that could give valid info in one place to save parents countless hours of research.

I have a side question for you. I hope you don't mind. My daughter will be 3 in August and we are going to be sending her to preK as well. Every program I have looked into mandates a long list of vaccines in order for your child to be accepted. This includes Hepatitis B, which all sources admit is only given shortly after birth because it is easy to reach that population. Not because it is necessary at that age. An annual flu shot is also mandated (I live in NJ, only 1 of 2 states that mandates this), which makes me really mad.

I know every state is different, but my question is how are you able to send your daughter to preK if she is not fully vaccinated?  Up until now I feel that I have been able to make decisions for my daughter that I think are in her best interest as her parent. But after going through this process of finding a preK I feel that the state is actually telling me what is best for my children and I have no say! All because of money and politics.

Also, did you do any research on the vaccishield product?

Thanks!

#44 of 49 Old 05-18-2012, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Hi! I live in WA state (but grew up in NJ isn't that funny?). Our state is one of I believe 23 states that have a philosophical exemption to vaccination. It's not applicable for preschool (our preschool we chose is a Waldorf style preschool, it's private out of a woman's home.). But when she starts K in 2 years we will need to get an exemption. In our state we just need to fill out a form saying we are philosophically opposed to vaccination and get a doctor to sign. I am not familiar with the exemption forms in all states but a quick google search can help you find that easily. I am pretty sure NJ has a medical (hard to get) and a religious (much easier to get) form. I know when I grew up in NJ my brother and I were selectively vaccinated, my brother had many skipped all together. My mom used the religious exemption (though she was an atheist, you do what you have to do) and this was in the 80s. So I am sure you can still get it now. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. If I lived in a state where *all* vaccines were mandated for school attendance and an exemption was too hard to get I guess I'd look into either private schools out of people's homes or homeschool...

And I never got around to looking at the vaccshield product. I was planning to do Dr. Sears nutritional support as well as either thuja or ledum homeopathically but in the end cancelled my appointment for her. I wish you the best! Where are you in NJ? I grew up in Lavallette.

#45 of 49 Old 05-18-2012, 08:06 AM

wave.gif from a fellow Jersey girl (born and raised, though I live in SoCal now)!  I'm from Hunterdon County.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#46 of 49 Old 05-19-2012, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the info! Yes, that is still the case in NJ (religious and medical exemptions). I think I am going to do the religious exemption if we can. Love that your Mom did that and was an atheist! You might not know since you were probably little, but did she need to have a church official (priest, minister) sign it? I wasn't sure if it would be something that our priest would just sign without questioning or if he would question our exact reasoning.

The preK for your daughter sounds awesome! That is exactly what I was looking for for my daughter. I don't think it exists in my area unfortunately. I would love to send her to a Waldorf school, just don't have the money for that. I am not giving up though. We are on a few waiting lists for the best conventional preK alternatives, but I am going to continue to ask around and search. I was even thinking of how I could start my own, but decided against that route.

I have thought about just not sending her next year, since she has a later August bday as it is, and using the year to find a better alternative. But she is soo excited to go and really needs the socialization. The preK's we have looked into are private and they still require the vaccines, because they are licensed by the state. I thought if we went the private route we wouldn't be running into that, but it seems the state is involved in most everything.

I thought after a little searching off the beaten path we would find something that would suit our needs, but I have been surprised that more schools don't have the same issues and concerns that I do for my kids. I am big on trying to limit toxins in my kids toys and art supplies, as well as toxins in our home from things like flame retardants and toxic cleaning products. We also try to eat a healthy mostly organic diet, with as little processed foods and additives as possible. I thought that I would eventually stumble upon some preschools that shared these same concerns, but sadly I haven't.

I live in Gloucester, NJ. Right outside of Philadelphia in Camden County. I grew up in upstate NY, still getting used to NJ. : )

#47 of 49 Old 05-19-2012, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know if she had to get any religious figure to sign it. I don't think so, I can't imagine she knew any! But this was 25 plus years ago so who knows how things have changed. It's hard to find alternative anything in NJ. I grew up there. Sometimes I'd live to move back near my family (and the heat) but then I'd really miss organic food, not getting stated at for breastfeeding a toddler, crunchy parents to be friends with, midwifery, etc. all the things I guess I take for granted here. I really bet you can figure out how to get a religious exemption...Download a form and take a look. Hopefully it will be easier than you think!

#48 of 49 Old 05-19-2012, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh sorry so many typos. I meant love to move back and getting stared at for BFding....

#49 of 49 Old 05-23-2012, 12:15 PM

Yes those are some of the things I am having a hard time seeking here in NJ. Except the organic food. Many good farmers markets now and Wegman's grocery stores are great. Check them out if you are back in the area. There is another mother on here from NJ that just told me about her experience getting a religious exemption and she said she didn't need a signature from a church official. Not that that would be out of the question, I might be able to get it, just another hurdle.  I would say you are better off in WA. So many more resources for "crunchy" parents. People not staring at the sight of a bfed toddler? Sounds like another planet! People here can't even handle the idea of it. I am having a hard time finding any mothers that share any of my same parenting ideas. Thankfully I stumbled upon a couple mothers on this site that are looking for the same thing in the area. So maybe we will get together at some point. Take care!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page