Free Online Course on Vaccinations - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 05-23-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

No idea how much the time commitment is, it says the course runs over 4-5 weeks. I assume it's designed for busy parents. I'll let you know how it goes. Maybe I'll start a thread and post little summaries.

I decided to sign up in the end too. We'll see how it goes. :)

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#32 of 46 Old 05-23-2012, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I figure if I can't keep up what are they going to do, fail me?
prosciencemum likes this.
#33 of 46 Old 05-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It would go on your permanent record.
Super~Single~Mama likes this.
#34 of 46 Old 05-23-2012, 01:52 PM

It will have company }wink1.gif
#35 of 46 Old 05-24-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:

No idea how much the time commitment is, it says the course runs over 4-5 weeks. I assume it's designed for busy parents. I'll let you know how it goes. Maybe I'll start a thread and post little summaries.

Even though this forum has been a little volatile of late, I would be interested in reading and appreciate you posting summaries of this course (if you have time). 

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#36 of 46 Old 05-24-2012, 04:06 PM

I'm sure going to try! It is scheduled for a good time work wise for me, so here's hoping!
#37 of 46 Old 05-24-2012, 07:00 PM

This ended up being why we vaccinate.  You totally can find any crazy thing to support any crazy idea on the internet, and my area of study is nothing scientific, so I can probably be easily fooled by plausible-sounding information.  In the end I think it makes more sense to trust people who are thoroughly educated on immunology and vaccination.  I mean I guess I can understand not trusting them if you believe that there *IS* a massive conspiracy to sicken children that involves decades of medical research, but I find that way too far-fetched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healthy Skeptic View Post

I just want truth.  That is all.  But now a days the truth seems harder to find.  I can go on the Internet and find convincing info on either side of any subject or person.  It is crazy.  And all sides are so convincing.  I can find scientific evidence on both sides of an issue that end up completely contradicting each other.  Who do you trust?

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#38 of 46 Old 05-24-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post

This ended up being why we vaccinate.  You totally can find any crazy thing to support any crazy idea on the internet, and my area of study is nothing scientific, so I can probably be easily fooled by plausible-sounding information.  In the end I think it makes more sense to trust people who are thoroughly educated on immunology and vaccination.  I mean I guess I can understand not trusting them if you believe that there *IS* a massive conspiracy to sicken children that involves decades of medical research, but I find that way too far-fetched.

have you not been around? so much for playing nice... blowkiss.gif

Conflicts of interest in vaccine safety research

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22375842

Quote:

Conflicts of interest (COIs) cloud vaccine safety research. Sponsors of research have competing interests that may impede the objective study of vaccine side effects. Vaccine manufacturers, health officials, and medical journals may have financial and bureaucratic reasons for not wanting to acknowledge the risks of vaccines. Conversely, some advocacy groups may have legislative and financial reasons to sponsor research that finds risks in vaccines. Using the vaccine-autism debate as an illustration, this article details the conflicts of interest each of these groups faces, outlines the current state of vaccine safety research, and suggests remedies to address COIs. Minimizing COIs in vaccine safety research could reduce research bias and restore greater trust in the vaccine program.

and on the subject of Paul Offit:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CHRG-106hhrg73042/html/CHRG-106hhrg73042.htm

Quote:
    At our April 6th autism hearing, Dr. Paul Offit disclosed that he holds a patent on a rotavirus vaccine and receives grant money from Merck to develop this vaccine. He also disclosed that he is paid by the pharmaceutical industry to travel around the country and teach doctors that vaccines aresafe. Dr. Offit is a member of the CDC's advisory committee and voted on three rotavirus issues, including making the recommendation of adding the rotavirus vaccine to the Vaccines for Children program.

...along with all the other $$/conflicts of interest in fda and cdc committees... in that link, or if you would like the highlighted version:

http://www.vaccinationnews.com/rally/openstmntconint.htm

Quote:
For the last few months, we’ve been focusing on two important advisory committees.  The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) rely on these advisory committees to help them make vaccine policies that affect every child in this country.   We’ve looked very carefully at conflicts of interest.  We’ve taken a good hard look at whether the pharmaceutical industry has too much influence over these committees.  From the evidence we found, I think they do.

...or from a more biased source:

http://www.ageofautism.com/2009/01/dr-paul-offit-fox-in-a-henhouse-the-acip-years-1998-2003.html

BeckyBird and Taximom5 like this.
#39 of 46 Old 05-24-2012, 07:24 PM
Banned

Kelly1101 does not appear to have been around. 

Her post states her reasons for choosing to trust people like Offitt.  Many pro-vaxers find the idea of a massive conspiracy to sicken children far-fetched, for basically the reasons Kelly1101 is offering. 

I don't think she's trying to be provoking. 

#40 of 46 Old 05-24-2012, 07:31 PM

right because people never just read/lurk.... ROTFLMAO.gif

btw stik, I found that .gov link just for you since you objected to my lazya&$ putting up the first biased google link and not the real root.

#41 of 46 Old 05-24-2012, 07:32 PM

Thanks for offering your perspective, Kelly. I think a lot of it does come down to how much you trust the authority of experts.
#42 of 46 Old 05-24-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:

Thanks for offering your perspective, Kelly. I think a lot of it does come down to how much you trust the authority of experts.

****certain**** experts.... like experts in aluminum be ignored.... smile.gif

BeckyBird likes this.
#43 of 46 Old 05-25-2012, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post

Kelly1101 thanks for sharing. This is basically my feelings on the matter too. I can understand the arguments for Paul Offit and others having conflicts of interest, because they clearly have made money out of their knowledge of the immune system and vaccines. But he's a respected (by most) scientist in the area, and I personally find it hard to believe that he would promote dangerous substances which harm children, or participate in any massive coverup of vaccine safety. 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#44 of 46 Old 05-25-2012, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

I can understand the arguments for Paul Offit and others having conflicts of interest, because they clearly have made money out of their knowledge of the immune system and vaccines. But he's a respected (by most) scientist in the area, and I personally find it hard to believe that he would promote dangerous substances which harm children, or participate in any massive coverup of vaccine safety. 

I don't think Offit is gleefully rubbing his hands together and planning to harm children, but I think it's pretty obvious that he has covered up a good deal of safety issues regarding vaccines, no matter how respected his scientific work in the past has been. Certainly, the vaccine schedule that he promotes has harmed many children.  And Offit has been less than forthcoming about the contamination issues with his own Rotateq vaccine: http://www.medpagetoday.com/ProductAlert/DevicesandVaccines/19986

#45 of 46 Old 05-25-2012, 08:14 AM

as much as I would love to respond to that, I think if we're going to go into a discussion of offit we should start a thread on the main vaccination forum instead of here.

#46 of 46 Old 05-25-2012, 03:57 PM

I signed up. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page