What factors impacted/will impact your vaccination decisions? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: What were the major factors in the vaccine decisions you made/will make?
nutritional source (i.e., breastfeeding or bottle feeding) 21 100.00%
childcare plans (e.g., daycare, staying at home) 22 100.00%
disease prevalence in your area (i.e., where you are raising your children, or traveling with them) 22 100.00%
lethality of diseases being vaccinated against 23 100.00%
officially recognized side effects of vaccines (i.e., effects listed on the product inserts, or accepted/recognized by most medical providers) 31 100.00%
non-officially recognized side effects of vaccines (i.e., effects not listed on product inserts, and not widely accpeted/recognized by most medical providers) 22 100.00%
known health issues specific to your child (e.g., immune disorders, allergies) 14 93.33%
known health issues specific to another family member (e.g., immunocompromised parent/sibling) 12 80.00%
vaccine ingredients/manufacturing process (e.g., thimerosol, human cells) 29 100.00%
religious beliefs or teachings 8 53.33%
effectiveness of vaccines 28 100.00%
personal experience with a vaccine-preventable disease (e.g., having chicken pox yourself, having a family member crippled by polio) 18 100.00%
personal experience with a vaccine reaction (yourself or someone close to you) 14 93.33%
general philosophy/beliefs about medicine 29 100.00%
obligatory other 2 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 05-04-2012, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I already voted in the poll but I will write now.

Recently, every month that passes I become more disgusted with allopathic medicine, (for my own health issues and nothing to do with vaccines). banghead.gif x 1,000,000,000.  I am not satisified with the "known" safety of adjuvants in vaccines. I am also not convinced that vax beats natural infection advantages on numerous childhood diseases on the standard vax schedule. I think the number of vax on the US pedi schedule is absolutely ridiculous and will only continue to grow. Normal diseases like roseola will become totally feared like chicken pox has become in my lifetime, and measles the generation before me. I do not think parents concerned with vaccine safety are listened to and I find it absolutely disgusting that they would be denied care. I think the pharma industry has corrupted govt policy with revolving door between govt. positions and pharma positions, lobbying, and paid for "studies" which are totally inadequate. I do not think there are adequate exemption possibilities in all states. Informed consent about vaccines does not exist in the US. 

I could and do find value in certain vaccines. But quite frankly the whole industry and dogma surrounding it makes me want to puke.gif

I find it totally suspicious that other "western" nations have different pedi vax schedules and somehow kids manage to survive there?? wow!!??

I do not find problem with questioning cdc/fda/pharma as they have been at fault for numerous problems in the recent past, about other drugs and/or vax I think anyone who ignores those continuous problems with these agencies and transparency is blind or too fearful to deal with reality.

I really really really really don't understand why chicken pox is a mandatory vax for school entry in US. It is not in the country I am living currently.

I could go on and on and on and on.... But I don't want anyone screwing with this thread to argue with me. What I have stated is my "opinion," like the other poster who stated all non-vaxers are "selfish," and another thread where I am an "anti- intellectutal" and another thread where I am "incredulous and intolerable".  smile.gif

#32 of 40 Old 05-04-2012, 08:52 PM

Interesting! I marked the things we looked at, but something looking at what is done in other developed countries would have been good options for the poll too, and school/preschool requirements. I do consider what Canada and Europe do when deciding what to do in the US. The healthcare systems and interplay between politics and corporations make a big difference to me. Family history-wise, I had a family member who caught an illness from an oral vaccine. And an allergic vaccine reaction in another older family member. 

My kids are legally up to date, and were by the time they started preschool. But we did spread out some vaccines within those early years so we could do only 1-2 at once. No, I don't think that put anyone else at risk. They weren't in group care, they were breastfeeding, and my "delayed vax" 12 month old was no more "potentially contagious" to anyone else than a standardly-vaxed 7 month old. 

My younger child has not had the last HepB booster, because he had severe hives after the vaccine, and continuing for 5 months even with serious antihistamines. I think the two doses he has had will have to suffice for any random risks in childhood (unlikely since DH, I, DD, and I happen to know, the nanny, have all had the full series of HepB vax). And when he gets to sexually-active ages, we will have to discuss with him, the allergist, and the family doctor and decide if he should have the final shot in the series, and under what circumstances. The big question there is if the hives were from being exposed to the HepB virus itself or to some additive in that specific shot? I'm hoping, honestly, that some better method of HepB protection is developed in the decade or more we have before he reaches sexual maturity.

Book loving, editor mom to 2

#33 of 40 Old 05-08-2012, 05:35 AM

My grandfather founded a women's and children's hospital in our hometown.  My uncle ran it for a few years and was a pathologist, my mother was a NICU nurse, my other uncle is a nurse, one sister was a NICU nurse and is now a post-brain-op nurse, and my other sister is a labor and delivery nurse.  I chose to selectively vaccinate my son.  And then, chose to not vaccinate my next 3 children.

I believed in the vaccines 100% when I had my first.  But to me, it was also a matter of selection as there was NOTHING to indicate that 1. Hep B at birth is necessary or beneficial to my child, and 2. I had questions about other shots like Vit K.  So I did my research.  I called family members, I got information, and I delayed shots in the hospital.  This was a mixed blessing b/c my son had seizures 24 hours after birth, and we spent 4 days in Boston Children's and he had every imaginable test run.  He was released with a diagnosis of mild to moderate gross motor skills/physical development due to bleeding on the brain.  During my entire visit there, I found NO ONE who told me that the Vit K shot was essential or would help his situation, so we never got it.  After my experience in the hospital, I realized that getting answers to my questions was something that I needed to focus on, and I started reading every book.  Dr. Paul Offit has the pro-vaccine book, which I checked out alongside 'The Autoimmune Epidemic', and the Sears book, and I called everyone I knew in medicine.  I decided that 1. polio is important, and 2. my doc thought Hib was an key shot, and I respected his authority.  My son had a huge reaction to the Hib vaccine, high fever, screaming, swollen painful leg, and I did the series, but that added a new level of questions to my research. 

My sister had a violent reaction to the DTaP vaccine, and is mildly retarded.  My grandfather told my mother that she could never finish the series and that this was a vaccine reaction.  Nothing was done on a large level, but my family awareness was that there are people who are more at risk for reactions.  We also have a family history of autoimmune disorders.

When my daughter came along, I was still selective vax, but thought polio was unnecessary if I were keeping them both home, nursing, feeding them traditional foods and continuing the dialog with my Dr.  I also told him I was uncomfortable with the Hib for the first 4 months, due to the reaction.  My daughter had made it out of the hospital without having any tests run, and I had to return her to get the heel prick and other tests, and there was a distinct difference in her ability to process many of these events b/c she was 2 week old, not 2 hours.  After 6 months, my pedi said that the Hib was really not a priority anymore.  And I was recognizing that certain levels of disease are dangerous for certain ages, but not really for healthy older kids.  

Fast forward, and I'm now a homebirthing (my family does not approve and will not be in town when I have babies), non-vaxing mom of 4 strong beautiful children who are rarely sick.  I am not afraid of many diseases, and do keep in open and honest dialog with my pedi about each disease, outbreaks, what the steps would be for either vaccination or treatment of various diseases, and an honest realization that my children are not a hazard to the community as they are not exposed to disease at the same rate as children in other parts of society, and also, I am willing and able to quarantine any disease that we stumble upon.  

Dr. Paul Offit is the biggest reason I chose to not vaccinate.  His book turned me off to the entire mentality of the vaccine industry.  I strongly feel that parents, especially educated, aware, and active parents, are the ones who should make decisions for their children.  Vaccinate if it is the option you believe in, especially if you're scared of disease, but if you're more scared of the consequences of vaccines, you should NOT be forced to submit your family to them.  There are bad parents, there are cruel and stupid people out there, but they should not be the ones who dictate how the rest of us get treated for taking responsibility for our children.  

Blessings and peace-

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#34 of 40 Old 05-08-2012, 06:10 AM

I forgot to mention that my son ended up with no physical or other retardation.  He is very intelligent, coordinated, and Boston Children's neurology dept told me it was a 'miracle' based on his MRI's that he did not have brain damage.  He had a lot of bleeding on both sides of his cerebral cortex, and the blood there would have clotted and caused tissue to die leading to brain damage.  But it did not.  Another reason I continued questioning and researching was that the word 'clotting' set off my scientific radar.  Of course it didn't clot, he didn't get the Vit K shot.  His blood was not able to clot and cause brain damage.  That led me to also stop and wonder if nature wasn't making a mistake in this front- what if there was a natural reason that children actually benefited from NOT clotting immediately after birth?  And if so, how many other places in medicine are we preemptively striking out and missing the benefits of some natural processes?

And my husband, pro-vaccine, pro-hospital birth, became my biggest advocate in all our health choices.  

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#35 of 40 Old 05-09-2012, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

This is an interesting thread. Part of the reason I come to these boards (apart from my general love of most of Mothering Magazine, and Natural Parenting choices) is to understand the reasons why people choose not to vaccinate, and or spend effort encouraging others not to so this has been fascinating.

My children have been vaccinated on schedule (18 months in US for first one, then shift to UK schedule for her, and 100% UK schedule for 2nd). I made this decision based on my understanding of the modern miracle that are vaccines. I remember being massively impressed learning about the small pox vaccines in high school science, and as a scientist, even though I'm in a physical science not bio or medical, I understand a lot of the complications of testing vaccines for safety etc. I absolutely think we should continue to test vaccines for safety, and that the recommendations will changes as we learn more about the vaccines. But I'm 100% convinced that the recommendations to vaccinate my children are the best for them. 

Having said that, or course I had a moment of fear before each vaccination (what is this was going to harm them). The ingredients sound really scary, but then I do a bit more research, and I realise the quantities are tiny compared to environmental exposure, and that those things are there for a reason (either as a preservative to stop bacteria growing in the vaccine serum, or as an adjuvant which as I understand it helps the immune system respond to the inactivated virus in the vaccine more quickly). 

Another thing that drove me here are the different recommendations of different countries. For example my daughter was asked to get a Meningitus vaccines when she moved to the UK which is not commonly given in the USA, and varicella is not regularly given in the UK (ie. we'd have to pay a lot to get it for our son) so when he recently attended a US daycare for a few days I had to sign a form (against my wishes) that stated he was unvaccinated against medical advice. That was interesting! Clearly it's not all or nothing either way.

For me though I want to do the best I can to protect my children and the rest of the world from these possibly preventable diseases...

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#36 of 40 Old 05-09-2012, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Thanks to all those who have pointed out that vaccination schedules are different in different countries - this is not an angle I had really considered, having lived in the US basically my entire life. See, I knew I could find some perspectives I hadn't considered if I started this poll!

Also, I DO think vaccines are pretty freakin' amazing science (biology major here!). And if smallpox were still running around, I would definitely use that vaccine, too. For me, like I've said before, so much of my thinking is dependent on my particular life situation. My decisions would be/will be very different if we wind up living in another country, having children with medical issues, or end up making different parenting/lifestyle decisions than we've planned. I still really like the comment that every vaccine opportunity is an opportunity to reevaluate our thinking. thumb.gif

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28**32***36***40** Oct 2014 it's a
#37 of 40 Old 05-17-2012, 05:03 AM

I am an LVT and both of my brothers are doctors.  I had both of my children at home (dispite strong objections from family members) after alot of research.  THe fact that animals have such a lower rate of dystocia/c-section was a huge reason I started researching my birthing options.  However, I never bothered to think twice about the vax decision - I spent alot of time vaccinating people's animals and never saw a need to question human vaccines.  Both of by girls skipped the inital hep B vaccine because we were at home, but beyond that I stuck to the recommended schedule.

However, my youngest has had a range of vaccine reactions from minor to severe, and has never had a vaccine without inccident.  This got me thinking on this issue.  I have been declining the flu vaccine for years because I get the full fledged flu within 48 hours EVERY time I have gottten the vaccine, but never have gotten it on years I have declined the vaccine.  I started researching and I started using common sence.  In animals, we do not start vaccines until they have weaned for several reasons - research has shown that maternal antibodies can make the vaccines less effective, and the immune system is not mature, and the research has also shown vaccines to be more effective when the immune system is mature.  Now, all of this information id ANIMAL based, not human based.  But seeing as there is a lot of common ground between various species of mammals, it seems logical to me that it is very possible applicable to humans.  Long story short, my children will not be getting further vaccines until they are adolecences.  They are currently 3 years and 1 year, but when they are old enough for the discussion (based on their maturity, not age) I will tell them what they have had thus far, and let them talk to their pro-vax uncles and myself and do their own research and then respect their right to make a decision for their own bodies.  However, at that point, their immune systems will be fully functional and more able to handle the vaccines and they are the ones that have to live with the consequences of the decision, so I want to respect them enough to involve them in said decision.  Sometimes I regret that I did not look into this earlier, and then I realize that that is water under the bridge.

I am still in research mode for myself - rabies vax is strongly recommended for my career choice and so is tetanus.  But I want to really look into these vaccines before making my decision.  I want to be an informed consumer instead of just saying yes to my doctor.  I think this is important for all consumption of health services, making informed decisions.

Taximom5 likes this.

Married to the love of my life partners.gif (career navy), and Mama to 2 amazing little ladies - K~ (03/2009)blahblah.gif and M~ (01/2011)biggrinbounce.gif always to wish I had gotten to know our little ones lost angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif   Reconfiguring my career track and working hard to keep my sanity through it all . . .

homebirth.jpgbfinfant.gifsaynovax.gifcd.gif  homeschool.gif 

#38 of 40 Old 05-18-2012, 01:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

BarefootMama99 - I'm curious if you're in research mode why you have a "Say No to Vax" icon in your signature. That seems a bit oversimplistic given your statements about your own opinions. 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#39 of 40 Old 05-18-2012, 04:11 AM

Well, I will probably be in research mode for the rest of my life - new information can always change things.  However, I personally have said no to vaccines my entire adult life, and therefore it has been over 15 years since I have received any vax (my parents did choose to vaccinate).  I have stopped vaccinating my children.  I am tring to find more info, especially on the rabies vaccine due to the lethal nature of the disease and my higher than average exposure to it.  But it is a vaccine that is not given to the population at large, and more difficult to find concrete data on and I have been in the veterinary industry for almost a decade and have not had the vaccine yet (it was initially recommended by my college, and then by every employer I have had).  So while I will continue to seek more information, I will also continue saying no to vaccines for the time being, and I wish I had really thought about this more indepth when my kids were born.  I was already saying no to vaccines for myself, so it was pretty illogical to just go along with the vaccines schedule and not question it or look into it further. But such is life - we all make mistakes.

Married to the love of my life partners.gif (career navy), and Mama to 2 amazing little ladies - K~ (03/2009)blahblah.gif and M~ (01/2011)biggrinbounce.gif always to wish I had gotten to know our little ones lost angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif   Reconfiguring my career track and working hard to keep my sanity through it all . . .

#40 of 40 Old 05-18-2012, 04:17 AM

As this is a mothering site, I will not get into my beliefs on animal vaccines (schedules, risk factors, ingrediants, and so forth are quite different) and my say no to vax icon is directed at human vaccines (as I feel that is all that is relevant on this forum).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page