What factors impacted/will impact your vaccination decisions? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What were the major factors in the vaccine decisions you made/will make?
nutritional source (i.e., breastfeeding or bottle feeding) 21 100.00%
childcare plans (e.g., daycare, staying at home) 22 100.00%
disease prevalence in your area (i.e., where you are raising your children, or traveling with them) 22 100.00%
lethality of diseases being vaccinated against 23 100.00%
officially recognized side effects of vaccines (i.e., effects listed on the product inserts, or accepted/recognized by most medical providers) 31 100.00%
non-officially recognized side effects of vaccines (i.e., effects not listed on product inserts, and not widely accpeted/recognized by most medical providers) 22 100.00%
known health issues specific to your child (e.g., immune disorders, allergies) 14 93.33%
known health issues specific to another family member (e.g., immunocompromised parent/sibling) 12 80.00%
vaccine ingredients/manufacturing process (e.g., thimerosol, human cells) 29 100.00%
religious beliefs or teachings 8 53.33%
effectiveness of vaccines 28 100.00%
personal experience with a vaccine-preventable disease (e.g., having chicken pox yourself, having a family member crippled by polio) 18 100.00%
personal experience with a vaccine reaction (yourself or someone close to you) 14 93.33%
general philosophy/beliefs about medicine 29 100.00%
obligatory other 2 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 04-26-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I am curious about what has led people to their vaccine decisions, whether it's full, on-time vax, delayed vax, selective vax, or no vax, or different decisions for different children or at different times. I tried to think of as many reasons as I could, and explain them as clearly as I could.

I would love to have you post further comments - how a particular factor specifically played in to your vaccine decision.

As I understand it, this should be an okay question for this forum, as long as people stick to explaining their own research/conclusions, and stay away from attacking/persuading others.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, one (9/13 @ 7w 6d), and a (10/6/14)

PCOS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 40 Old 04-26-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Factors I'm thinking about so far:

-We are planning on breastfeeding and no daycare, which lowers the risk of several VPDs, making vaccines less of an overall priority. This is also our first baby, so we won't have older kids bringing illnesses home from school.
-We live in the US, and don't have any plans for international travel at this point, so a polio vaccine seems pointless. So does the diphtheria vaccine. But since you can't get pertussis separate from diphtheria, we may do it anyway. I was actually against this, until I realized that dh gets pretty frequent respiratory infections, which I then get, too, and our pertussis vaccinations have most likely long-since worn off. Since pertussis is not as severe in adults, we could certainly get it and not know it.
-I don't really want to vaccinate against diseases with a very low probability of being lethal/disabling. That tosses out MMR (though I may get any future daughters vaccinated when they are older) and chickenpox, among others. This also partially a personal-history thing. Apparently, I had a very miserable case of chickenpox, but I have zero memory of it. In my mind, it is just a part of childhood. Talking to my mom and grandma, both had most or all of the MMR diseases, and it just wasn't a big deal. Everyone got them. Hepatitis A also fits in this category for me, though not really any personal history there, just statistics.
-Timing of vaccinations is something I forgot to list in the poll, but is also a big factor for me. Our baby won't be getting a Hep B vaccine, for sure, because babies without a Hep B positive family member (mostly mother) are just not at risk for it. I will discuss it with my kids when they are older, and let them decide for themselves. I plan on having the same discussion with them about HPV vaccination.
-Something I accidentally deleted from the poll: Family history. We have a strong family history of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, and I am concerned about overloading our baby's immune system with vaccines and increasing the risk of repeating that history.

I am out of time, but I may add some more thoughts later. I look forward to hearing your thoughts!
Taximom5 likes this.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, one (9/13 @ 7w 6d), and a (10/6/14)

PCOS
#3 of 40 Old 04-29-2012, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Great thread idea!  We selectively vax, and a major factor for us not giving our military-salute complaince to the full schedule is the lack of independent, longitudinal, placebo-controlled research on some of the newer vaccines, as well as the vaccine-heavy schedule itself.  Some argue that placebo-controlled research would be unethical, (i.e. involving "denying" medical treatment to the voluntarily unvaccinated).  But if we take that claim at its face value, the public is still owed an explanation of the limits on vaccine-related research.  ("Limits to these findings include an inability to conduct placebo-controlled research because....")  Also, I made sure to mark the "lethality of diseases" options.  Polio is not the same thing as four (out of 100+) potentially cancer-causing strands of HPV, (easily detected through regular pap smears), and diptheria is not the same thing as chicken pox.  Anyway, thanks for your efforts toward keeping this thread debate-free.  I'm interested in hearing other people share!   

purslaine and Taximom5 like this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#4 of 40 Old 04-29-2012, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)

We started out getting every vaccine on schedule. It didn't occur to us to question the schedule, bcause our pediatrician was recommending it, and we liked and trusted this pediatrician (and we still do). We did ask about risks, and were told that risks were absolutely minimal, and that nearly all adverse reactions occurred in third-world countries with lack of proper sanitation and nutrition, in babies with obvious underlying issues, etc. (This is what our pediatrician had been taught in medical school, and this was the mantra of the large pediatric practice of which he was the junior member.)

It wasn't until our children had had several adverse reactions that we (and the pediatrician) figured out that the vaccines were what was causing the reactions.  (We do not live in a third-world country, and our children were deemed healthy by the pediatrician before vaccination.)

It took several reactions for us to figure it out, because the pediatrician thought that the first reaction was a fluke.  The second reaction was very different from the first reaction, so even then, he didn't make the connection--and neither did we, until later. Once we started researching the reactions our children were having, it became very clear, though.

We are lucky that our pediatrician does, finally, "get it," and is absolutely supportive of our decision to avoid further vaccinations; in fact, he offered to write medical waivers for us, and put in our childrens' charts that he is recommending avoiding future vaccines due to past adverse reactions. He even said that he does not want to see any more vaccine reactions on his watch. But we--and more importantly, our children--had to go through hell before he "got it."  (The nurse--who ended up losing her job--wasn't so understanding, and treated me with scorn when I called in when our oldest was having the seizure/encephalopathy reaction; she wouldn't even let me talk to the doctor and told me that I was a hysterical new mom over-reacting, and that I should put the baby in his crib and walk away.)  The reactions my children had included unconsciousness for days (happened to both the oldest and the youngest), seizure/encephalopathy, full-body rash that lasted for over 6 months, and sudden-onset food intolerance.

We are also extremely lucky that all our children recovered.

If we had known then what we know now about the risks of vaccines, I'm really not sure if we would have opted for selected/delayed vaccination schedule, or if we would have avoided vaccines entirely.

#5 of 40 Old 04-29-2012, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I started out vax DS 'on schedule' because I didn't want to argue with anyone.  I've been declining the CP vax for years and just recently declined the HPV vax for him.  Since DS had a horrible rxn to abx 2 years ago I've pretty much stopped everything.  I did allow tetnus because he is on swim team and walks around with out shoes at the pool.

We homeschool so vax isn't as critical or debatable as those who need to deal with schools.  Our state also has a personal exemption

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#6 of 40 Old 05-01-2012, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The fact that I was breastfeeding and not using daycare did give me some comfort at first.

My exclusively breastfed daughter did get chicken pox when she was 6 months old, though, so I no longer think BFing is a magic bullet against disease.  Looking up stats on how often breastfed babies get something versus non-breastfed babies may be useful to anyone researching the issue.  

My decision not to vaccinate largely stems from the fact that catching the disease where I live and having a serious reaction to the disease is lower than the known and accepted chances of having a reaction to a vaccine. I came to this conclusion using sources such as CDC and vaccine inserts.   In short, I believe not vaccinating is safer for my children.  I will pre-emptively say that while I do not entirely discount herd immunity, I do have some serious issues with it, enough that the battle cries of "we vaccinate so diseases don't come back!" does not hold much sway with me.  

Lethalness of diseases has given me pause.  If I could have found a tetanus shot that was separate from d and p  (and yes, I know some people can get a hold to TD) I might have gone for it.  Knowing disease prevention and management has given me a fair bit of comfort - for example:  making sure wounds bleed properly often (almost always) prevents tetanus.  

#7 of 40 Old 05-01-2012, 07:59 AM

For me, it's all about estimating and comparing risks: of exposure, of catching the VAD, of short and long term impacts of VAD, of short and long-term impacts of vaccine, etc. This is a fluid decision that takes into consideration health of myself, other family members, my child, etc., both that day and overall, including family history, exposure to environmental pollutants, etc. Then, being totally honest, there is a healthy dose of personal perspective factored in there as well from our care providers, sources we respect, and ourselves (including my DH, who grew up in a developing country and has a different perspective from US-born me).

Every vaccination opportunity is a chance to reevaluate where we are with respect to all of these factors and to either afifrm or change our previous decision.
Turquesa and AbbyGrant like this.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#8 of 40 Old 05-01-2012, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
From the outset i was nervous and my husband was adamant that we would vax.  I knew my daughter was going to daycare and husband and I both work in environments where we have a lot of interaction with people and a decent probability of bringing things home.  That really was what pushed me from hesitant to "ok, we need to do this," then as I started to research and read more and talk to my pediatrician I started to feel more comfortable with the decision.  Since then the more I've read the more confident I've been that we're doing the right thing. I totally agree that each vaccine is a chance to reevaluate and assess the decision.

I think it's normal to feel nervous when you're taking this perfect little creature and injecting them with something that even maybe might hurt them.  I really had to research and think about the relative risk and realize that the risk from the disease was greater than the risk from the vaccine.  We also doth have food allergies or other things that might make methinkmy child was more "sensitive" or likely to havea reaction in our family, that likely would've swayed my decision making, as well.
prosciencemum likes this.
#9 of 40 Old 05-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Banned

Don't want to offend anyone, but I see refusing any standard vaccinations for your children as incredibly selfish. Not only are you putting your child at risk for an otherwise preventable disease, but you are endangering the welfare of people in the community who that vaccine will not work for. I'm talking about the Measles-Mumps-Rubella vaccine in particular.And recent outbreaks (even in the US - a few recent cases in California) because of parents who refused to vaccinate their children.

Interesting article about Measles in the world:

http://www.usatoday.com/NEWS/usaedition/2012-03-20-Measles_ST_U.htm

While its understandable to be skeptical about something you don't know about in its entirety, all vaccines go through numerous regulated and monitored animal and human safety trials to prove that they are safe and effective. So let's stop all of the unfounded assumptions. There is absolutely no evidence that vaccines cause chronic illness or disease of any kind. While some people can experience mild allergic reactions or mild cold-like symptoms from some vaccines, these side-effects usually don't last more than 24-48 hours. Vaccines are designed to enhance our immune systems - and in many cases have been key to ending epidemics (like polio). Even the flu vaccine - which is tricky because of multiple strains and mutations - continues to help to reduce both infections and deaths from flu over the last several years. The CDC has some pretty graphs to depict this trend if you don't believe me: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/

For the sake of healthier communities - get your vaccines and get your children vaccinated properly.

prosciencemum likes this.
#10 of 40 Old 05-01-2012, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Like many parenting decisions, the vaccine decision is sensitive and personal. We start with the assumption that we all respect each other even when we make different choices. As in all discussions here at Mothering, talk nice to one another and remember our User Agreement.

Your post heyjustagirl is incredibly offensive no matter what side mothers are on. Mothers are always doing what they believe is the best for their children.

Calling people selfish, stupid and unable to come to a "proper" understanding is beyond me.

You have broken the forum guidelines and I have reported you. You owe women on this forum an apology...

Chicharronita and Slmommy like this.

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

#11 of 40 Old 05-01-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjustagirl View Post

Don't want to offend anyone, but I see refusing any standard vaccinations for your children as incredibly selfish. Not only are you putting your child at risk for an otherwise preventable disease, but you are endangering the welfare of people in the community who that vaccine will not work for. I'm talking about the Measles-Mumps-Rubella vaccine in particular.And recent outbreaks (even in the US - a few recent cases in California) because of parents who refused to vaccinate their children.

Interesting article about Measles in the world:

http://www.usatoday.com/NEWS/usaedition/2012-03-20-Measles_ST_U.htm

While its understandable to be skeptical about something you don't know about in its entirety, all vaccines go through numerous regulated and monitored animal and human safety trials to prove that they are safe and effective. So let's stop all of the unfounded assumptions. There is absolutely no evidence that vaccines cause chronic illness or disease of any kind. While some people can experience mild allergic reactions or mild cold-like symptoms from some vaccines, these side-effects usually don't last more than 24-48 hours. Vaccines are designed to enhance our immune systems - and in many cases have been key to ending epidemics (like polio). Even the flu vaccine - which is tricky because of multiple strains and mutations - continues to help to reduce both infections and deaths from flu over the last several years. The CDC has some pretty graphs to depict this trend if you don't believe me: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/

For the sake of healthier communities - get your vaccines and get your children vaccinated properly.

You're not telling us anything we haven't already heard a million times, and those of us who question vaccines have done countless hours of research on the topic, way more than your mainstream media propaganda.

There actually are tomes of evidence that vaccines can cause chronic illness and even the diseases they are supposed to prevent.

You did intend to offend, and your comments are inaccurate and ignorant.

Chicharronita and BeckyBird like this.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#12 of 40 Old 05-01-2012, 03:25 PM

She is explaining her perspective (she sees it as selfish) and she didn't call anyone stupid.  I dont' see how her post is offensive at all, and if hers is offensive, insisting she must be reading industry propaganda and just regurgitating it is at least as offensive.  You seem to be offended by the fact that she disagrees with you.

Her opinion is at least as valid as either of yours.  I don't know why voicing her opinion had to result in attacks ON HER vs. statements on the issue at hand.

#13 of 40 Old 05-01-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

She is explaining her perspective (she sees it as selfish) and she didn't call anyone stupid.  I dont' see how her post is offensive at all, and if hers is offensive, insisting she must be reading industry propaganda and just regurgitating it is at least as offensive.  You seem to be offended by the fact that she disagrees with you.

Her opinion is at least as valid as either of yours.  I don't know why voicing her opinion had to result in attacks ON HER vs. statements on the issue at hand.

Really?  Being called selfish and endangering the community isn't offensive?  Huh.

Of course she is entitled to her opinion.  But these sweeping generalizations from a brand-new poster are insulting and suspicious.  It's nothing we haven't heard before.

#14 of 40 Old 05-01-2012, 03:47 PM

She expressed her opinions about not vaccinating. Her comments weren't addressed at anyone in particular. There is epidemiological support for what she said, it's hardly mud slinging. She didn't even use very inflammatory rhetoric. I can see getting upset if someone went into the "I'm not vaccinating space" and said something like this, that would just be stirring the pot, but that's not where this thread is, is it?

Why does it matter if she's "new?". It's a discussion forum, she joined the discussion. Weren't we all new once?
#15 of 40 Old 05-01-2012, 03:51 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We vaccinate fully and on schedule. I am grateful that we live in the first world and have the option. We have traveled extensively and seen the damage done by diseases for which there are now vaccines. I think the benefits are clear and the science supports them. My area, which has many unvaccinated people (documented and undocuments immigrants from developing countries; people who don't vaccinate by choice) has many, many serious outbreaks of avoidable disease.

Our family is crunchy in almost every MDC way but I absolutely, firmly believe in vaccinating. Personally, I think delayed or alternate schedules are kind of pointless (you either believe in them or you don't) so we do it on schedule because it is easier to keep track of them.

#16 of 40 Old 05-01-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

Why does it matter if she's "new?". It's a discussion forum, she joined the discussion. Weren't we all new once?

Yes, some of us joined MDC because we were interested in natural family living, not to bash those who disagree with one aspect of it.

#17 of 40 Old 05-01-2012, 04:05 PM

I don't see why people have to try and start unnecessary debates...the original poster of this thread was asking what factors impacted our vaccination decisions. If you get every vaccine on schedule, good for you, but this is neither the time nor the place to insinuate that other posters on this thread are selfish for making our own medical decisions for our children. I am holding off on vaccines for now because my son, 10 months, is still breastfeeding, he is not in daycare, and as of right now the risks don't outweigh the slim (imho) benefits of giving him all of the recommended vaccines at this point in time.
#18 of 40 Old 05-01-2012, 04:08 PM

She didn't bash anyone! She shared her opinion in response to the question! Why all the hostility to a simple opinion (and one backed by facts, at that)?
#19 of 40 Old 05-01-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjustagirl View Post

Don't want to offend anyone, but I see refusing any standard vaccinations for your children as incredibly selfish.

Whether or not you see not vaccinating as selfish may come down (in part)  how you view herd immunity.

If you have reservations about herd immunity, then it is not a selfish act.  Reservations may include:  some diseases are not contagious (tetanus), some vaccines are not highly effective (pertussis) some diseases are not dangerous for many people (CP, mumps, rubella - and catching those diseases as childrren usually confers lifetime immunit, unlike vaccines) and the fact that some diseases or their severity declined due to time, advances in medicine, nutrition, sanitation (diptheria).  

#20 of 40 Old 05-01-2012, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Just a reminder to all - this is a place to share about YOUR reasons for YOUR vaccine decisions. I don't think that anyone's opinion about anyone else's vaccine decisions have any place in this thread. Nor does arguing about whether or not someone else is offensive further the aims of this thread in the least. It's also exceptionally pointless in this case, as it seems this person has joined to forum solely to voice her opinion about others' decisions - both of her posts on MDC are exactly the same.

I don't want to ask to have my own thread deleted, but I absolutely will if it can't remain useful.

PCOS
#21 of 40 Old 05-01-2012, 04:28 PM

I think a reason for the hostility is because, this is the researching vaccines forum. If she came on here and said, I vaccinate on schedule because I feel it is selfish not to, and I feel like I am endangering my community by not vaccinating, I think that would have been better received. Instead, she implied that OTHERS who do NOT vaccinate are selfish and endangering THEIR communities, which I think will rub a lot of posters the wrong way. Then she finished her post with a very condescending "get your vaccines and get your children vaccinated properly."
#22 of 40 Old 05-02-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyscience View Post

Just a reminder to all - this is a place to share about YOUR reasons for YOUR vaccine decisions. I don't think that anyone's opinion about anyone else's vaccine decisions have any place in this thread. Nor does arguing about whether or not someone else is offensive further the aims of this thread in the least.
Exactly. The post is off-topic and against forum guidelines, which state:
Quote:
We embrace all parents, regardless of their vaccination choice. We uphold the Vaccinations forum as a place where they can come and discuss all aspects of all vaccinations, and find support in their desire to make an informed decision to not vaccinate, to vaccinate, to selectively vaccinate, or to delay vaccinations. We would like all members to understand that this forum is not an anti-vax forum but rather is a forum to discuss issues and concerns so that parents can make an informed decision. We are not, however, interested in hosting discussions advocating for mandatory vaccination.

This is a community forum and all members will be expected to demonstrate and maintain their community participation and not an agenda-focused manner of posting. Members are invited to report any such agenda-focused behavior. We will certainly uphold the integrity of the forum and restrict such behavior.

http://www.mothering.com/community/a/vaccination-forum-guidelines

Please note that both opinions AND facts are allowed and welcomed here. Just keep it on topic. That includes some of the back-and-forth that is far better suited for PM, by the way... thumbsup.gif

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#23 of 40 Old 05-02-2012, 11:35 AM

From all my recent research about DTaP, I randomly found a pro vax site where they urge members to log in to MDC pretending to be parents and comment in the vax boards?  So when I see a post like that from someone with only 2 posts to his/her name I get suspicious.  If a person has strong opinions like that but is a real member of MDC with many posts to their name it's one thing...

Chicharronita and BeckyBird like this.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#24 of 40 Old 05-02-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukuspot View Post

From all my recent research about DTaP, I randomly found a pro vax site where they urge members to log in to MDC pretending to be parents and comment in the vax boards?  So when I see a post like that from someone with only 2 posts to his/her name I get suspicious.  If a person has strong opinions like that but is a real member of MDC with many posts to their name it's one thing...

Which site is it?

#25 of 40 Old 05-02-2012, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukuspot View Post

From all my recent research about DTaP, I randomly found a pro vax site where they urge members to log in to MDC pretending to be parents and comment in the vax boards? 

I'm really sorry to hear this.  greensad.gif  I'm trying to wrap my head around all of the fanaticism...all the while trying to remain compassionate and empathetic about where these people are coming from. 

Granted, a handful may be just arrogant and pugnacious and love a good Internet "debate"...especially when they're protected by the relative safety of monitor and moniker.  But I think that the majority are genuinely worried and angry at us.....but coming from an understandable place.  Specifically, although news media and radically pro-vax doctors like to portray vaccine skeptics of being irrationally "scared" and part of a "culture of fear," I think that many of the pro-vaxxers get swept up in their own fear-mongering. 

They panic when they hear that polio is only a plane ride away, (my kids are up to date on their IPV, but note that we've been waiting for that dreaded "flight" since 1979, when the U.S. saw its last case of wild polio).  They freak out when they watch The Practice on TV and see a poor kid die of measles....inferring inevitably from this Tinseltown portrayal that measles is like ebola and means instant death.  And because all of the vaccines and VADs get generalized into one big lump, (e.g. "Immunizations are important.  Just look at how horrible polio was....") they get the message that skipping ANY of the vaxes means death and doom....or that skipping ANY of them means that all of those diseases MUST be casually--and commonly!--communicable.  I can no longer find the link on the State of Oregon's site, (hopefully they took it down because it was ridiculous!), but there was a page that summed up all VADs with the message of, "Your child can catch these diseases ANYWHERE!"  (Are they sharing drug needles at the neighborhood sandbox?? headscratch.gif)   I largely blame public health programs like this, as well as the American Academy of Pediatrics and its corporate sponsors, for their role in stirring up fears and freaking people out this way. 

My point is this: As much as we may bristle at the name-calling, (in my book, adjectives are names to call people as much as nouns are, so "incredibly selfish" does fit that bill), it's not too much to ask that even if we disagree, we still make an effort to understand where they are coming from.   

I guess all of that brings me back to this thread topic (finally, lol!  winky.gif) about what influences our vax decisions.  Fear was not an option in the poll.  But unfortunately, I think that it does play a role in a lot of peoples' decisions.  But fear is not a good reason to consent to a medical intervention.  And fear is not a good reason to decline a medical intervention.  That's part of what makes this issue so multifaceted and complex.    

By the way, before reading the recent upheaval in this thread, I was logging on to say that I like the first eight posts.  The moms may have all come to different conclusions, but it sounds like everybody was open-minded to recognize that this is an evolving issue in which gray areas may emerge.  That has long been my position.  thumb.gif

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#26 of 40 Old 05-02-2012, 05:14 PM

I'm sorry all, I don't remember the site.  I have looked at SO many websites over the last month as I have been researching DTaP for toddlers...And that site was so shocking that I just closed the browser.  I really don't remember the name or how to get back there.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#27 of 40 Old 05-02-2012, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

I guess all of that brings me back to this thread topic (finally, lol!  winky.gif) about what influences our vax decisions.  Fear was not an option in the poll.  But unfortunately, I think that it does play a role in a lot of peoples' decisions.  But fear is not a good reason to consent to a medical intervention.  And fear is not a good reason to decline a medical intervention.  That's part of what makes this issue so multifaceted and complex.    

By the way, before reading the recent upheaval in this thread, I was logging on to say that I like the first eight posts.  The moms may have all come to different conclusions, but it sounds like everybody was open-minded to recognize that this is an evolving issue in which gray areas may emerge.  That has long been my position.  thumb.gif

There are several things I've thought of since I put up the poll that I wish I had included. Things like the opinion of one's spouse/partner, advice/opinions from medical providers, schooling decisions, state exemption policies, feelings on responsibility to society vs. responsibility to one's child, and the like. And fear is an interesting one I didn't think of. I think it *can* be implicit in some of the responses (like disease lethality or side effects), but it's possible to make either a rational OR a fearful decision based on either of those things. And sometimes it can be hard to tell them apart, or it may be a mixture of both. This is why I started this thread - I think there are so, so many things to consider about this decision. I really do feel like it is possible to weigh all these factors and come to different conclusions about vaxing, and I love seeing more about others' thought processes in the matter, because it helps me question and clarify my own thinking.

A little more about my thinking on vaccination: I didn't actually check general philosophy about medicine, but I'm starting to realize that that is a factor for me, to some degree. I believe the purpose of medicine is to help our body in instances when it can't help itself. Obviously, what constitutes not being able to "help itself" will vary quite a bit depending on who you are asking. For me, I do think that vaccines have the capability to induce immunity in our bodies, and I haven't seen evidence that persuades me that inducing immunity in this way is innately harmful. At the same time, for diseases that are rarely lethal or serious, or that are easily treated through other medical means (such as antibiotics), I'm inclined to let the immune system do its work in the most natural way possible - through direct exposure to the disease, should it ever come to that.

As far as responsibility towards society vs. responsibility toward my particular child, I would certainly tend to favor putting the welfare of my particular child over the welfare of "society." HOWEVER, I also do not see this as being a major conflict in my plans to do selective/delayed vaccination. If we were experiencing a disease outbreak wherein my child was likely to catch and spread the disease to many others, quite possibly fatally, I would absolutely have them vaccinated against it. If this were prior to eradication of polio in the US, we would be getting the polio vax. I certainly plan to vaccinate against polio if we are ever planning to travel any place it is still a problem. Although, again, if that were really the case, it would be in my child's best interest to have the vaccination, too. I guess I just really don't see the conflict between others' best interests and my child's. I do think that if I choose not to vaccinate against certain things, I have a responsibility to be extra vigilant when my child does get sick to monitor symptoms and make sure to limit exposing others do my child's illness, especially if it is a VPD. But honestly, I think I ought to be trying to keep my sick child away from other children, anyway! Not sure if all of that made sense, but hopefully it made at least a little sense.

Bokonon likes this.

PCOS
#28 of 40 Old 05-02-2012, 08:14 PM

We are global citizens. My family travels extensively. I have no second thoughts about my kids vaccinations. I have seen the diseases vaccines prevent wreck havoc in places where there isn't adequate coverage. 

#29 of 40 Old 05-02-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyscience View Post

And fear is an interesting one I didn't think of. I think it *can* be implicit in some of the responses (like disease lethality or side effects), but it's possible to make either a rational OR a fearful decision based on either of those things. And sometimes it can be hard to tell them apart, or it may be a mixture of both. This is why I started this thread - I think there are so, so many things to consider about this decision. I really do feel like it is possible to weigh all these factors and come to different conclusions about vaxing, and I love seeing more about others' thought processes in the matter, because it helps me question and clarify my own thinking.

Fear is an interesting word. I do not really see fear as the deciding factor for most people - unless they have had personal experience with either a VPD or vaccine reaction.  I think most people weigh the numbers and make what they believe is a rational decision.

If we do use the word "fear" though, I think it comes down to:

non-vaxxers are more fearful of vaccine reactions

vaxxers are more fearful of the diseases 

Another emotion that comes to mind for me and the vaccine question is guilt.  What would make you feel guiltier - a child having a serious reaction to a vaccine or a child having a serious reaction to a VPD?  For myself, it would be the vaccine reaction.  Vaccine reactions are 100% preventable, while most VPD's are not.  YMMV.

As far as responsibility towards society vs. responsibility toward my particular child, I would certainly tend to favor putting the welfare of my particular child over the welfare of "society."

Agreed.  I think it is our primary job as parents to keep our kids safe.  If, for one reason or another, you don't think vaccines are safer than remaining unvaxxed, it is unethical to vax them for the sake of society.  

BeckyBird likes this.
#30 of 40 Old 05-04-2012, 11:49 AM

This is a great thread. I am really gaining some understanding of how people have made their decisions.

I vaccinate on the recommended schedule, for many reasons. I'm an advanced practice nurse and prior to that took a lot of bio as an undergrad, so obviously it syncs with what I've learned in the course of my studies and with the research that continues to be done. I've traveled and lived abroad in sub-Saharan Africa and have seen the long- and short-term consequences of not vaccinating. Personally, I had a vicious case of chicken pox and wouldn't wish that on my kid. I was selectively, mostly not vaccinated until I was a teenager when I made the decision to get caught up, basically because the waver process for school and sports became too onerous and because I had developed different views on the issue than my mom. Neither me nor anyone in my family have had a bad reaction to a vaccine. I have one relative who was completely deafened by mumps and another who had polio as a child and now suffers from post-polio syndrome, and may eventually be wheelchair bound. I feel a duty to be vaccinated and vaccinate my kid to protect people who can't be vaccinated or who are immunocompromised. I think the herd immunity theory is very sound. 

I think that pretty much wraps it up. :)

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page