Vaccine Safety Curriculum for Medical Residents - American Academy of Pediatrics - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 247 Old 05-22-2012, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyGrant View Post

Rrrrrachel, I kept chuckling about your broken toe comment when I was watching House last night. 

funny, I found it inflammatory. If there were a risk of dying from broken toe and if the state mandated childrens' toes be broken for school entry... well that was the comment I "neverminded." 

Another poster stated she noticed it is a common misconception that vaccines = immune. I stated it is also not widely known that some vaccines shed. If that doesn't matter to some, fine. If some think it is of so little risk, fine. I don't really care if my kid gets cp from a vaxed kid. I find irony in the fact parents expect their babies to now be "immune" to rota and yet 1/5 is shedding the virus which could infect others. I'm sure hygiene and commonsense makes that scenario unlikely. 

I would be REALLY pissed if I were the momma vaxed postpartum for mmr or cp who gave clinical rubella infection or chicken pox to my newborn!!! Most mothers still have natural cp immunity, and yes, MMR does usually last, so luckily masses of new mothers are not receiving mmr and cp postpartum.

#242 of 247 Old 05-22-2012, 09:07 AM

I would receive either of those vaccines post partum if necessary and feel comfortable with my decision.
#243 of 247 Old 05-22-2012, 09:11 AM

It just seems like one remote risk gets played up, but the risks of serious complications to chicken pox, mumps, measles, etc get played way down. I think it's important to try to be honest and objective about all the risks. Vaccinating and not vaccinating both come with risks.
#244 of 247 Old 05-22-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slmommy View Post

funny, I found it inflammatory.

Different strokes I guess. I wasn't really thinking about the context of the thread anyway, just the use of a House episode as proof which I thought it was hysterical. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmommy View Post

I would be REALLY pissed if I were the momma vaxed postpartum for mmr or cp who gave clinical rubella infection or chicken pox to my newborn!!!

Maybe some mothers who vaccinate would be REALLY pissed if a child that had not been vaccinated gave their newborn CP even more so if that child had been to a CP party. 

I just don't get freaking out about the possible transmission of a disease from vaccination shedding if one does not  even feel the disease should be vaccinated against.

#245 of 247 Old 05-22-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

It just seems like one remote risk gets played up, but the risks of serious complications to chicken pox, mumps, measles, etc get played way down. I think it's important to try to be honest and objective about all the risks. Vaccinating and not vaccinating both come with risks.

Yes, it does go both ways. There have been many posts about deaths from chicken pox... and how dangerous chicken pox is. 

Both come with risks. Some people feel more comfortable with the vaccine, some people feel more comfortable without.

Pro-vaxers continually up-play some vpd risks, Anti-vaxers continually up-play vax risks.

Seeing as how vaccine risks are little known/not discussed/socially unacceptable to point out in many other arenas, I do point them out here. 

Turquesa likes this.
#246 of 247 Old 05-22-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyGrant View Post

Maybe some mothers who vaccinate would be REALLY pissed if a child that had not been vaccinated gave their newborn CP even more so if they had been to a CP party. 

I just don't get freaking out about the possible transmission of a disease from vaccination shedding that one does not even feel should be vaccinated against.

I would be pissed too. I'm glad I had natural cp so I could pass on those antibodies to baby.

ETA, I think also, most people are aware that other people can pass on all sorts of illnesses to newborns, vpd or not. I don't know how many people realize it is possible for a recently vaxed mom to shed rubella through breastmilk and potentially infect her kid, or pass on chicken pox.

#247 of 247 Old 05-22-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

It just seems like one remote risk gets played up, but the risks of serious complications to chicken pox, mumps, measles, etc get played way down.

It depends entirely on who you are talking to.

Painting in very broad strokes:

non/sel/del tend to focus on vaccines (reactions, ingredients, vaccines) and pro-vax tend to focus on diseases.  

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page